Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take a chance on LH A380 same-day upgrade w SWU?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would take the gamble. I like aviation and want to experience the A380 one day, even if it is nothing special. Like you said, if they are full, Lufthansa economy is a heck of a lot better then UA.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by bennijiggs
I would take the gamble. I like aviation and want to experience the A380 one day, even if it is nothing special. Like you said, if they are full, Lufthansa economy is a heck of a lot better then UA.
Except there's no E+ on LH. If I were stuck in coach, I'd really feel stuck without an E+ seat, regardless of service or other amenities.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Obviously you are willing to risk not clearing upgrade (while not having acess to UA-style E+) to rely on being entertained by A380 regular coach seat with the decent personal AVOD. As long as you don't feel like sardine because they will pack a lot coach passengers despite it being roomiest aircraft.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by npei
UA flyers can request paper SWU for same-day airport upgrade request on LH flights (based on availability and upgrade queue).
Any chance of a paper SWU upgrading a miles J award to F?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by djmp
Any chance of a paper SWU upgrading a miles J award to F?
I'm pretty sure you can only do SWU upgrade on revenue ticket. With award ticket, you have to rely on buy-up offer.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, ITA Exec, NK Gold, F9 Diamond
Originally Posted by pnoeric
What do y'all think? As a 1K, and with that many biz seats on the A380, do I have a shot?
Depending on flexibility, you can try flying on a Tues/Wed/Sat, when loads tend to be lighter. But in the end, it is a crap-shoot.

It's a crap-shoot on UA as well, but at least the fallback there for you is E+. On LH, it's E-...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by npei
Obviously you are willing to risk not clearing upgrade (while not having acess to UA-style E+) to rely on being entertained by A380 regular coach seat with the decent personal AVOD. As long as you don't feel like sardine because they will pack a lot coach passengers despite it being roomiest aircraft.
UA aircraft that I have flown over the pond have all been older models. Old seats, no personal IFE at all, and had to pay for my drinks. Any LH plane I have flown over the pond within the last 5 years have been newer planes, great IFE, decent seat for economy, and free booze. E+ makes no difference to me. A few inches of extra leg room does nothing for me. I am only 5'7" though.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
UA aircraft that I have flown over the pond have all been older models. Old seats, no personal IFE at all, and had to pay for my drinks. Any LH plane I have flown over the pond within the last 5 years have been newer planes, great IFE, decent seat for economy, and free booze. E+ makes no difference to me. A few inches of extra leg room does nothing for me. I am only 5'7" though.
In that case: good for you. For most of us here, the five inches of extra legroom make all the difference. For me it makes the difference between being able to use my laptop computer and NOT being able to use it.

I have not flown LH long-haul Y in ages, but if their short-haul seats are any measure of the seat-comfort on LH, it would have to be abysmal.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by colonius
I have not flown LH long-haul Y in ages, but if their short-haul seats are any measure of the seat-comfort on LH, it would have to be abysmal.

The 380 is different however. The seats are considerably wider than normal economy seats, fairly good ergonomics, and decent IFE. Sure, they pack you in there, but within your seat it's not horrible. I recently flew it JNB-FRA (C was full so my paper SWU did me no good, but I had an empty seat next to my aisle seat). I survived. And I love to gripe about LH's normal long haul Y seats...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Other than the relative novelty of flying on an A380, I don't see the motivation for going out of your way to fly C on LH's A380.
Well, if you're a flight geek, that's enough reason. I'd go (somewhat) out of my way to fly the A380, but only because I never have. It's the only major aircraft type I've never been on. (except an A330, but that's basically a short A340).
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Most of UA's flights over the pond are on 767 or 777, all of which have personal IFE - it's only 747s that do not and there are not so many of them flying TATL. Personally I think the 767 and 777 (old config) in E+ are excellent for Y: the seats are relatively comfortable, there's a good amount of space, the pairs by the window are a good configuration and, in the 777, the E+ cabin is relatively small and quiet. Not so keen on the new config 777 in Y, but that's a different matter.

I agree about the ridiculous paying for drinks bit, but so often UA is cheaper and therefore that's just a matter of equalization...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thinking about trying to use a friends SWU on a LH A380 flight (C to F) next week. Couple questions:

1) Will they fill A380 F to capacity? Currently only a couple of seats as of right now.
2) How long does it normally take to get the certificate after requested?
3) If the upgrade doesn't go through, can a paper certificate be converted back to electronic?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by troyb
Thinking about trying to use a friends SWU on a LH A380 flight (C to F) next week. Couple questions:

1) Will they fill A380 F to capacity? Currently only a couple of seats as of right now.
3) If the upgrade doesn't go through, can a paper certificate be converted back to electronic?
Can't answer #1, but #2 is ~7 days in my case (you may be able to get it overnighted if you ask), and #3 is yes - instructions on how to do so come with the form. Good luck!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Just made that choice

Originally Posted by pnoeric
I'm planning SFO-FRA and I'd love to fly on the new A380... but it looks like UA doesn't codeshare with that so I'd have to be on an LH ticket. I understand that I can get one of my SWUs converted to a paper cert and present it on the day of flight for LH to upgrade me, space permitting.

Here's my question: since the A380 has ~98 biz seats, is this a fairly safe bet? I would HATE (hate, hate, hate, HATE) to be stuck in LH coach all the way to FRA... and after having paid for the ticket to be in an upgradable fare class, too! (I'm also thinking that to help improve my odds, I have a few days' wiggle room with my travel plans, so I could pick the A380 flight that has the most empty biz seats.)

My other option is to forego the A380, book a simple UA upgradable fare, and get my SWU upgrade (which will at least likely clear before the date of travel).

What do y'all think? As a 1K, and with that many biz seats on the A380, do I have a shot?
I had a similar choice, although both were on United. Do I fly from ORD to NRT, where I could not be confirmed to the new lie flat seats or do I go through SEA where I had the old seats, but where I could confirm upon booking. I chose the latter. Why? Because I was not willing to risk a long flight in E+ in the event my upgrade did not clear.

With you, it is even riskier because you will not know until day or departure. I would book on UA and take a sure bet rather than risk the ride in coach. No, the seat is not as good, but you know what they say. A seat in the hand is worth more than two seats in the bush. Or a plane in the hand. Or something like that...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by troyb

Can only speak for FRA-JNB-FRA route.
1) LH did not fill 380 F to capacity. The 4 flights I did in the past few weeks; F was 50% full. Business was complete full.

For all 4 flights I used my UA SWU. All cleared well in advance. None went to the gate.

Actually I have never had any of my LH upgrade go to the gate. I only use UA SWU to upgrade on LH from J to F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.