Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is SFO the only UA hub without a Starbucks? I can't seem to find one anywhere there so I settle for Peet's which is better than nothing but it's odd cause I can't think of too many airports (even the smallish ones) that don't have a Starbucks...
Settling for Peets?? Really? I have yet to meet anyone who seriously likes coffee who prefers Starbucks over Peets, but sounds like you're the first. If you like weak coffee, you can simply get an Americano at Peets or dilute it with milk and sugar. All of my friends who are coffee drinkers were thrilled about the switch from Starbucks to Peets at SFO a couple years back.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Peets was originally a coffee shop in Berkeley, CA founded by Dutchman Alfred Peet in the 60's.

When Starbucks was founded, they bought their coffee from Peets...

Later, Starbucks co-founder Jerry Baldwin sold his interest in Starbucks to focus on Peets...he and Starbucks' new honcho, Howard Schultz. entered into a non-compete agreement for the Bay Area...

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Dec 3, 2011 at 10:09 am
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Like: HKG, FRA, YYZ
Dislike: CDG & MXP feels like 3rd world. almost all US airports
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
I've been through some 50 or so airports, including most of the major airports in Asia. A few for repeated visits but mostly 1 time affairs.

The only airport that has ever made hate it with passion is CDG. Whoever designed that airport should be drug out into the street and shot. ...in the leg, and then forced to make a connecting flight. I've vowed to never fly air France ever again just because of this airport.

I'm also generally annoyed by any airport that makes you go through security again on a connecting flight (looking at you CDG, SIN, NRT). What - I somehow picked up a gun and knife while I was on the plane? They don't trust major airport security to screen me the first time? If you're coming in from podunk somewhere to a major hub, ok, but if you're flying from #1 airport in one country to #1 airport in another country, no screening necessary.

As far as positives, nothing really stands out. Only ones that come to mind are HAN and BKK because you can get foot massages while waiting for your flight.

Other than that the only other thing that I recall is that the passport control in Dubai seemed hostile compared to the rest of the world. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CDG

I can understand the dislike of CDG, but I think there are is good and bad there.

Of course, T-1 is very old and funky.

Terminal 2 is actually a collection of terminals, some better, some worse. But if you need to change terminals, they are all very convenient to one another, except Terminal 2G.

The best terminal at CDG is Terminal 2E, which is quite state of the art and spacious.

Premium security is great at CDG, a real time saver.

CDG also has a very convenient airport hotel, the Sheraton, which is in Terminal 2.

Finally, the public transportation options are excellent, including a CDG rail station that has TGV departures to Brussels and Lyon.

That's not to say that CDG doesn't have its problems, of course. It does. But the airport is so big and its terminals run the gamut from mediocre to excellent.

My home airport if JFK, and the same principle is true here. The newest terminals, such as T5, are outstanding, while T3 (soon to be torn down) is perhaps the worst airline facility in the developed world.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:14 am

That partially explains it then; I always fly into 2G and always have to connect to another terminal, so it's a 10 minute walk through underground rat warrens (have they not heard of moving sidewalks?) or a 20 minute bus ride (when you count the waiting) to anything else.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:15 am

And while I'm on the topic of connections, DFW is no peach either. It's oddball layout means you can see the connection gate through the window when you deplane only to find out it's a 30 minute walk to get to it. Even though I can't see it on the map now (was a while ago), I distinctly remember going in a giant circle for 30 minutes to get from DL regular jet to DL regional jet
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
And while I'm on the topic of connections, DFW is no peach either. ... I distinctly remember going in a giant circle for 30 minutes to get from DL regular jet to DL regional jet
can happen if you take the DFW Skylink in the wrong direction.

Skylink’s bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside security.

Free service
Trains arrive every two minutes
Average ride time of five minutes
Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I'm also generally annoyed by any airport that makes you go through security again on a connecting flight (looking at you CDG, SIN, NRT). What - I somehow picked up a gun and knife while I was on the plane? They don't trust major airport security to screen me the first time? If you're coming in from podunk somewhere to a major hub, ok, but if you're flying from #1 airport in one country to #1 airport in another country, no screening necessary.
This is a very common occurrence outside the USA, especially for flights that cross borders.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The maximum ride may be nine minutes, but you have to get from your gate to the closest skylink station (often quite a hike), then wait for the skylink, and, of course, walk from the skylink station to your new gate.

That entire process can be quite time consuming.

Also, DFW's gate layout, makes walking from one gate to another at the same terminal much longer than you would think.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I didn't get on any tram system, though that could explain why it took so long.

It had to do with walking from one spider leg to a larger spider leg to a larger spider leg to a smaller spider leg to a smaller spider leg. Every spider leg was 45 degrees (or whatever) shifted from the other one.

While I typed this the post above me confirms what my addled memory was telling me.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
This is a very common occurrence outside the USA, especially for flights that cross borders.
Perhaps, but almost all of my travel is outside the USA and I don't recall it occurring much, except at those 3 airports.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Perhaps, but almost all of my travel is outside the USA and I don't recall it occurring much, except at those 3 airports.
DXB Dubai can be added to the list. Also, at Baghdad Airport there isn't much in way of connecting flights, but you don't pass through any security checks when arriving other than when they scan you luggage at customs. However, departing Baghdad once you drive to the airport road entrance you get car-check to see ticket & passport, drive 100 meters get out of vehicle for dog-check, drive 100 meters drag all luggage through small office for hand-inspection, drive a few miles down the airport road, car-check for tix-passport, then out of car for another dog check, then scanner at entrance, scanner at entrance to check-in, scanner after police immigration check, scanner at entrance to gate.... LOL I mean, just to put it into perspective! and you know, the Iraqi Airways lounge isn't all that bad, except the no-booze part.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Well the ones I use do and include: FRA, MUC, ZRH, LHR, NRT, ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE, HKG, BKK, KUL, SIN, and SYD. In fact, I can't recall any non-USA airport that I have connected through where I was not required to re-clear security.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Any airport that has TSA pre in the United terminal is the best for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.