FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   United's Mai Tai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1181960-uniteds-mai-tai.html)

cotter77 Feb 8, 2011 7:46 pm

United's Mai Tai

just returned from first class hawaii trip....those mai tai's were fantastic.
anyone know how they do it? any crew out there know the recipe?

hyperwiz Feb 8, 2011 7:55 pm

Trader Vics -

They use Trader Vics mix, dark rum and I've had mine with (or without) a splash of OJ. Can get the mix at BevMo.

GoAmtrak Feb 8, 2011 7:58 pm

Step 1: Buy Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai Mix (aka High Fructose Corn Syrup).
Step 2: Add rum and OJ.

mahasamatman Feb 8, 2011 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 15829364)
Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai Mix (aka High Fructose Corn Syrup).

Don't forget all those artificial flavors, artificial colors, and preservatives!

GoAmtrak Feb 8, 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by hyperwiz (Post 15829348)
They use Trader Vics mix, dark rum and I've had mine with (or without) a splash of OJ. Can get the mix at BevMo.

I can't recall UA serving Trader Vic's mix recently, even though Trader Vic's meals are served. But you're probably somewhat better off buying that than Mr. & Mrs. T. I haven't paid too much attention, but the below photo I took last summer on SFO-HNL appears to show a Mr. & Mrs. T bottle (see Amazon):

fadeforward Feb 8, 2011 8:21 pm

I think "fantastic" is a bit overstated, but I drink them because they're "special." I add a splash of OJ to make it more palatable. I miss the Trader Vic's mix.

My record is 7 on SFO-HNL. Could have been 8, but FAs had to be seated due to turbulence towards the end.

http://i53.tinypic.com/25rnztd.jpg

demkr Feb 8, 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 15829364)
Step 1: Buy Mr. & Mrs. T's Mai Tai Mix (aka High Fructose Corn Syrup).
Step 2: Add rum and OJ.

Why must recipes these days be so complicated and time consuming!

sinoflyer Feb 8, 2011 8:50 pm

UA switched from the Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix to a "ready to drink" concoction about a year or so ago. With the mix, you are supposed to add the juice of one lime plus rum. Some FAs used OJ instead of, or in addition to, the lime. One time out of OGG, the FA told me that her secret was an additional splash of guava juice, which gave it a pinkish blush and also a nice flavor. But I don't think guava juice is loaded onto the beverage cart ex-Hawaii any longer. Now with the ready to drink stuff, the FA just pours in the rum, or hands the little bottle to you and you pour it in yourself. It's fantastic, but I still prefer the mix.

Both the mix and the ready to drink stuff can be found in supermarkets. I used to love the mix, but Vons/Safeway stopped selling it here in the L.A. area. I know you can still buy it at Bevmo, but I have since found the original recipe online, and now I mix my own the old fashioned way -- with a shaker and lots of ice. :)

808 Flyer Feb 8, 2011 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer (Post 15829571)
But I don't think guava juice is loaded onto the beverage cart ex-Hawaii any longer.

They haven't had guava juice for awhile, which was one of my favorite aspects on UA HI flights. :(

I wish they would bring it back.

UAAAPeter Feb 8, 2011 9:57 pm

My Thai

I had an excellent Thai chicken dish in UA first the other day - never had that before. It would have been nicely washed down with a Mai Tai but regretfully was in the lower 48... @:-)

karung99 Feb 8, 2011 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cotter77 (Post 15829307)
just returned from first class hawaii trip....those mai tai's were fantastic.
anyone know how they do it? any crew out there know the recipe?

This is the authentic traditional Mai Tai recipe from the "Mai Tai" Bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki. The original Mai Tai was created by Victor J. Bergeron in 1944 and brought to Hawaii in 1953 at the Royal Hawaiian, Moana and Surfrider Hotels.
Prep Time: 01 minute
Total Time: 1 minute
Ingredients:

* 1 oz. Dark Rum
* 1 oz Light Rum
* 1 oz Orange Curacao
* 2 oz Orange Juice
* 1/2 oz Lime Juice
* Dash Orgeat
* Dash Simple syrup (bar syrup)

Preparation:
Combine all of the ingredients in the order listed in a Old Fashioned style glass over shaved ice. Stir with a swizzle stick. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a cherry.

Enjoy! ^

sinoflyer Feb 8, 2011 10:26 pm

Here's my mai tai recipe. I don't use OJ or simple syrup in mine, and it's still sweet enough for me:

2 oz. Jamaican dark rum (Myers's, Appleton, or equal mix of the two)
1/2 oz. orange curacao
1/2 oz. orgeat
3/4 oz. lime juice (about one freshly squeezed lime)
crushed ice
---
Shake with ice and strain contents into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Garnish with pineapple spear and sprig of mint.

Cheers! :)

agarc Feb 8, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah... Once you've had the real thing, a mix just won't suffice. Especially if you've made it yourself. Gosh I could go for one right now... along with a confirmed flight back to OGG...

Originally Posted by karung99 (Post 15829877)
This is the authentic traditional Mai Tai recipe from the "Mai Tai" Bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki. The original Mai Tai was created by Victor J. Bergeron in 1944 and brought to Hawaii in 1953 at the Royal Hawaiian, Moana and Surfrider Hotels.
Prep Time: 01 minute
Total Time: 1 minute
Ingredients:

* 1 oz. Dark Rum
* 1 oz Light Rum
* 1 oz Orange Curacao
* 2 oz Orange Juice
* 1/2 oz Lime Juice
* Dash Orgeat
* Dash Simple syrup (bar syrup)

Preparation:
Combine all of the ingredients in the order listed in a Old Fashioned style glass over shaved ice. Stir with a swizzle stick. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a cherry.

Enjoy! ^

astroflyer Feb 9, 2011 2:20 am

I just flew back in first yesterday from Hawaii. They said they were serving Trader Vic's Mai Tai's. It tasted reasonably good...fairly sweet. I can't imagine it's anything fancy. I like that they garnish with a real pineapple. Fairly classy for united. It went well with the Trader Vic's citrus chicken.

jason8612 Feb 9, 2011 2:47 am

I'm looking forward again to the Mai Tais on my flights to/from Hawaii. I enjoyed them last time.
I will have to make one at home one of these days. I just need to find the ingredients.