Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Mai Tai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Seems that the pre-fab stuff is in first class (in large bottles), but you can still buy the Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix (in beer-size plastic bottles) in economy class for $8-9.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:40 am

I have a source telling me Fresh Island Mix i s the same thing. http://www.shop.freshisland.com/001-Mai-Tai-Mix-001.htm It may have better avb.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I enjoyed one mai tai on my recent LAX-LIH and HNL-SFO flights. They are just too sweet for me to have more than one.. but I really LOVE the dark Myers rum and the FA's are happy to give me Myers and diet coke..which tastes even better than a mai tai!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
we're glad they're back too

When UA stopped serving Mai Tais a while ago we complained bitterly: wrote a letter, complained in the monthly surveys, complained to the FAs and so on. I suspect that we helped bring them back, along with a better economic climate.
We like them best when they use the larger glasses, so that there is a better juice:rum ratio. And the pineapple spear is great! I have a large collection of white plastic Mai Tai spears....wonder if they'd recycle tham?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
UA switched from the Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix to a "ready to drink" concoction about a year or so ago. With the mix, you are supposed to add the juice of one lime plus rum. Some FAs used OJ instead of, or in addition to, the lime. One time out of OGG, the FA told me that her secret was an additional splash of guava juice, which gave it a pinkish blush and also a nice flavor. But I don't think guava juice is loaded onto the beverage cart ex-Hawaii any longer. Now with the ready to drink stuff, the FA just pours in the rum, or hands the little bottle to you and you pour it in yourself. It's fantastic, but I still prefer the mix.

Both the mix and the ready to drink stuff can be found in supermarkets. I used to love the mix, but Vons/Safeway stopped selling it here in the L.A. area. I know you can still buy it at Bevmo, but I have since found the original recipe online, and now I mix my own the old fashioned way -- with a shaker and lots of ice.
I had them just last weekend. The FA splash it with OJ, pineapple juice, and a booze of rum. It was great!!!

Hopefully CO will adopt this
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
My reverse-engineered recipe is here. It's pretty close to the Trader Vic's.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP via status match, COdbaUA 1K
Originally Posted by hyperwiz
They use Trader Vics mix, dark rum and I've had mine with (or without) a splash of OJ. Can get the mix at BevMo.

Trader Vic's make mean Mai Tais, but very powerful. If I drink 2 of them I am not accountable for my actions.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
UA switched from the Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix to a "ready to drink" concoction about a year or so ago.
Ugh... and the problem with that is the they're simply not strong enough. I want to get drunk on flights, and these just don't cut it.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:06 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fadeforward
My record is 7 on SFO-HNL. Could have been 8, but FAs had to be seated due to turbulence towards the end.

Last time I flew UA to HNL (which was about 4-5 years ago) they ran out of dark rum about half way through the flight, significantly curtailing the number my wife and I were able to enjoy.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
In case some of our fellow FTers have no idea what we are talking about, here are a few photos of the "current" iteration of the mai tai as it is served on UA. I put "current" in quotes because I last took the trip last May. I recall the ready-to-drink" stuff as being made by Mr & Mrs T. But now I'm not sure if UA has switched to Trader Vic's ready-to-drink stuff (it's still different than the old mix, which you have to add lime juice to it).

UA 81 LAXHNL May 2010 #1
UA 81 LAXHNL May 2010 #2
UA 82 HNLLAX May 2010

Don't mind if I take the liberty to say that I'm a little manic for a mai tai.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beckles
Last time I flew UA to HNL (which was about 4-5 years ago) they ran out of dark rum about half way through the flight, significantly curtailing the number my wife and I were able to enjoy.
Did you ask for a Sky Kit?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Mai Tai Substitute

On domestic flights, I just get OJ/Cran-Apple Juice/ Rum. Not 100% a mai tai, but close enough.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
On domestic flights, I just get OJ/Cran-Apple Juice/ Rum. Not 100% a mai tai, but close enough.
I'll try this....I imagine tis not the dark rum that would go in a mai tai though right?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I enjoyed one mai tai on my recent LAX-LIH and HNL-SFO flights. They are just too sweet for me to have more than one.. but I really LOVE the dark Myers rum and the FA's are happy to give me Myers and diet coke..which tastes even better than a mai tai!
I had a well-intentioned FA (though I now suspect was evil) that "kept em comin" on the old UA 1 (ORD-HNL)

I felt incredibly bad that night. Like the worst hangover, only before I went to sleep. Those suckers are just way too sweet for me to drink in quantity.

Valuable life lesson.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I'm looking forward to trying one ... I think I'm going to do DEN or SFO to HNL on the 28th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.