Wiki Posts
Search

SEA Not-so premier line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by g_leyser
The issue is not whether 55 minutes is enough time (it's PLENTY of time without checked luggage).

The issue is whether QuickShuttle will be on time or not. I know they pad the schedules, but personally I wouldn't chance it if it's critical that you make that flight.

Having taken QuickShuttle many times between Seattle and Vancouver (albeit not in several years), I can tell you that there is always a good chance for a delay. The Blaine Border Crossing is always a crapshoot, and I-5 traffic seems to get worse every year.

As always, YMMV.
I completely agree.

Haven't tried that on that coast lately, but have done a couple of flights from BUF, though I was originating in YYZ. I took the Megabus once, and ended up at BUF ~an hour later then scheduled due to waiting at the border. Greyhound the next time got me there at around 30 minutes late. Trust me, I was glad I got on buses that gave me plenty of time.

When I used to live in YVR, I used to book through Amtrak, though it was on bus equipment to go to SEA. I'd have to get from downtown to the airport on my own, but there was no other alternative that I was comfortable with. There were times that would work if everything went perfect - but any delays would likely lead to a missed flight.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: United 1K
SEATAC Security, what gives?

30 min to clear security in the United "priority" line at SEATAC today, 930A on a Monday. I don't travel as much as I used to, but the glacially moving lines reminded me of the intro period for the new security post-911. Was this a fluke, or is it the new normal? Luckily I allowed plenty of time before my flight.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm Reason: moved into appropriate thread
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:13 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by Sabika
30 min to clear security in the United "priority" line at SEATAC today, 930A on a Monday. I don't travel as much as I used to, but the glacially moving lines reminded me of the intro period for the new security post-911. Was this a fluke, or is it the new normal? Luckily I allowed plenty of time before my flight.
Not atypical for a Monday morning.

Everyone is elite on Monday mornings.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Any ideas on the lines at SEA around 4:30am on a Wednesday?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by harryhood
This happens occasionally at DEN as well. The premier line sometimes gets choked up with passengers and has a single TSA agent checking BP's and ID's; the general security line has 4-6 TSA agents and even though it is 3x as long, it moves 4x as fast.
Fortunately Denver has a Clear line now. When the premier line is 15 minutes the Clear line is 2 minutes.

I fly out of Denver every week and have never waited more than 15 minutes in the Premier line.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:54 pm

I got there just in time this morning - entered the line around 4:55AM and it took about 10 minutes to get through, but by the time I reached the ID checker, the area behind me was a mess.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
The problem is that they send all elites down the right side and they also periodically send a ton of kettles down there as well if there are no elites in line (because they check IDs down there so they can just run 100 people down there and they are out of sight). Also, in the morning they often have 1 lane open back there even though the line can have 100 people. My suggestion is to insist on going left when the TSA Elite checker tells you to go down the right side.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
just flew sea and the premier line was slightly shorter (fri evening).

sfo though, it's a zoo. the premier security line is not available if the premier security check-point is open. i was instructed to go to the premier security check point instead of using the regular line. the regular line is ONE TERMINAL DISTANCE closer than the premier security line to all gates, unless you are flying out of gate 72. so i had to run all the way down to the premiuer security check point, and found the line to be EVEN LONGER THAN the regular line!! SHOCK!! Have you guys seen this at SFO?! the premier check point is completely useless now! My flight was boring in about 5 minutes so I asked the girl guarding the UGS/Intl First line to let me go thru that (and she did).
thanks to her or i would def miss my flight
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
Have to agree with United757...once you cross 5am or 5:05, especially on Monday mornings, the lines get very long. The TSA person suggested to have people use the South checkpoint instead, which I followed. It wasn't any shorter (about 25 minutes through security).

The full body scanners are holding up the process on the Premier lines since there's not enough room to hold bins and the screening process being slower in general.

The general traveler lines are sometimes significantly faster at SEA, especially at the central and north checkpoints.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Monday 4/25/11 around 9AM there was an extensive line by lines closest to N gates regardless of premier or regular line so I walked to the other side to C gates which were much shorter until I actually got screened. I had a roll of $1 Dollar coins in the bottom of my laptop bag and this apparently caused them concern even though they had been there since late December, and through numerous screenings since I had forgotten about them.
After hand searching my bad 4 times and re-screening each time they finally found the offending $25 of coins and let me pass. So I may have been better off at the other checkpoint after all.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by United757
I got there just in time this morning - entered the line around 4:55AM and it took about 10 minutes to get through, but by the time I reached the ID checker, the area behind me was a mess.
Were they scoping and groping when you were there? Assuming you used the elite line, how many TDCs did they have running the elite line?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Were they scoping and groping when you were there? Assuming you used the elite line, how many TDCs did they have running the elite line?
0430 in the morning you should spend 10-15 min MAX in the security line. For the UA "Elite" lane in the morning they have three lines, the two to the left go through the scope and grope, the one of the right does not.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Premier Check In SEA

Checking in at SEA yesterday. All Premiers check in same line. Had a separate line for GS and International First but it was blocked off. Two agents, line moved very slow. Thanks Jeff, another change I like!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:41 pm

Is it just me or that line is getting seriously old?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't they know who you are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.