Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

So long 1k. It was nice while it lasted. Official goodbye to elite status thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So long 1k. It was nice while it lasted. Official goodbye to elite status thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by work2fly
multi-year 1k to GM

It was a fun ride while it lasted.
No soft landing to 2P?

I feel your pain.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Just to be clear, in my year as a 1K, I was not a bin hog, I turned down five UDUs, three of which were transcons, got to use only two of my SWUs, and didn't even board on the red carpet when they were already boarding seating area 1. Well, OK, I did do that one time, but I felt really sheepish about doing so.
Mike,

I think your mind is permanently set as lowly 2P.

What a waste of SWUs...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
It was nice while it lasted; this year I'm down to 2P, but still happy I get free E+ seating and bags. Doubtful I'll get back up to 1K, as all my flying is on my own dime, but should make 2P or even 1P with some work. Will have to see.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
I am back to GM for the first time in eight years after making 1P on business travel in late 2009 thanks to the DEQM promo. I usually had no trouble making at least 2P and will again in July thanks to an Asia trip on SQ.

I'm retired and more interested in the destinations than how I get there now. B6 and VX will be seeing more of me going forward as much of my domestic travel has always been to SFO and NYC. I will still fly *A to Asia.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kb1992
No soft landing to 2P?

I feel your pain.

Mike,

I think your mind is permanently set as lowly 2P.

What a waste of SWUs...
If you knew how much time I spent trying to select TATL flights where those might go through, you might think otherwise. For a while, I embraced my 1K-ness with passion. True, I may never have lost that sense of being unworthy, and perhaps that may work as a positive for a lowly 2P but negative for a Bold 1K.

Give me a chance. I think I can find a new home among the humble 1Ps where I can appreciate the perks I deserve and miss those I do not. If I remain 1P for 2012, then I'll have found a stable new home. If I become sensible and start using miles for award flights, then the 2Ps will have their cat herder back. ^
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Back to 2P for me. Did what will probably be my last MR over the weekend.

The writing was on the wall...upgrades on the outbound cleared just a couple of hours before boarding, neither upgrade cleared on the return even with a CR-1. The GA at MIA was the surliest I've encountered (imagine Sarah Palin at a John McCain fundraiser and you'll get the jist). Showed up late and had the pilot and first officer waiting for several minutes.

The flight to IAD was OK but on the flight back SFO, I was stuck in a middle seat, the guy at the window decided to floss his teeth while we taxied then it became clear he was in the latter stages of a heavy cold. Also had the crying baby in the row behind.

Made one last call to the 1K desk yesterday to get a schedule change on an award ticket cleaned up. Boy I'm really going to miss the 1K website

What I won't miss is spending time and money trying to gain benefits that I may not even use or can't use (like SWUs and CR-1s not clearing). Just going to burn my miles from here on out.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Sigh... from such great heights, I've fallen into the abyss... saw my 1K (albeit "lite") go out the door along with my Delta Platinum... double whammy.

However, as General MacArthur once said, I shall return. Already signed up for the 1K promo... 14K+ miles in the past 2 weekends. This is a temporary setback

As for Delta, so long, farewell, oh, wait, I still got Silver (not that it means anything).
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:50 pm

I've been 1K since 1999 and now, thanks to being MM, I'm PremEx for life. It's been great fun, but like so many of you, my employer went out of business so no more travel. Like all of you, I loved all the upgrades, the better treatment, and especially boarding on the red carpet.

But the one thing that stands out for me was on September 11, 2002. While in the 1K room (remember those?) at ORD, I was invited by the receptionist to join them in a moment of silence for those who died a year earlier. We went out into the concourse, held hands and formed a giant circle and observed a moment for those, who but for the grace of god, could've been any one of us. Long after the memories of the upgrades and boarding on the red carpet fade, that moment will be with me forever.

Safe travels to you all.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Smile

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
If you knew how much time I spent trying to select TATL flights where those might go through, you might think otherwise. For a while, I embraced my 1K-ness with passion. True, I may never have lost that sense of being unworthy, and perhaps that may work as a positive for a lowly 2P but negative for a Bold 1K.

Give me a chance. I think I can find a new home among the humble 1Ps where I can appreciate the perks I deserve and miss those I do not. If I remain 1P for 2012, then I'll have found a stable new home. If I become sensible and start using miles for award flights, then the 2Ps will have their cat herder back. ^
Spending a lot of time selecting TATL flights with better odds clearing upgrades?

Some 1Ks, like me, would book flights only with confirmed NC. We get 100% success because we start looking at 330 days window.

I bet you were searching tickets 5 months in advance. Forget about NC because UA generally doesn't release them anymore when it's so close to departure.

Good post. Guess Humble 1P might fit you.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PVDProf
Hey! We're just sliding down the upgrade list a little, which is NOT actually the same as death.
Well, sliding down the upgrade list "a little" usually means E+ - so why that isn't death, it's pretty close.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Spending a lot of time selecting TATL flights with better odds clearing upgrades?

Some 1Ks, like me, would book flights only with confirmed NC. We get 100% success because we start looking at 330 days window.

I bet you were searching tickets 5 months in advance. Forget about NC because UA generally doesn't release them anymore when it's so close to departure.

I'm finding NC on TATLs with ~1.5mo notice. Just have to be flexible with days, routing. For example, CDG had lots of availability when I booked last month for a few weeks from now.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:22 pm

From 1K to nada

After many many transpac flites in '09, garnering my first ever 1K rating, I flew a grand total of 4,200 EQM in '10. Sudden unemployment has many unanticipated side effects.

The worst part was finally getting SWUs and not being able to use them (altho I did sponsor many friends' flites, so, karma, ya know).

For the first time in a decade I am status-less. Which actually means I'm free to shop airlines by price, as E+ is no longer a consideration. Delta has recently been kicking butt on Asia fares...
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I think I experienced the first by-product of reduced 1Kness...I figured the phone lines would be JAMMED this evening with all the weather. Called the 1K line, and despite the pre-recorded "...We are expecting higher than normal call volume", I got an agent a split second after that message.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I too enjoyed being a 1K for 3 years, especially in MSP, where they treated me fantastically. They even brought back the RCC, added a flight to SFO and soon IAD. But even though I qualified for 1P, I am going back to Delta ( Gold there last year) because 1K now wants 120 segments. I will miss it, but life does go on. The Goal in 2011 -- DL Plat ( 100 segments)
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
of having to call the Prem Exec desk from today. It's been a decade. How does one do it? I don't even know the number. My iPhone sure doesn't. And I don't know how to change it - I'll have to admit this story of failure to my son so he can change the number as I don't to how to. And do I send an envelope full of $10 bills to get someones attention at the PE desk? Or get one of those voice changers for the phone? And no standby for free which means no standby as far as I am concerned. Oh I think I'll go to some Asian airline with a 5lb baggage allowance and where they weigh the contents of your pockets - at least they won't know me when they throw my second carry-on bag in the trash. No hotels or apologies for being treated attrociously. No waiting at SFO for NRT SWU upgrades which never arrive. The shame...the ignomy.. proven by not even an email of thanks for past loyalty. Just a gold card in the mail without even some drinks vouchers... the drinks vouchers I never used as you get free drinks in first anyway... I never understood that ... free drinks for the people that never needed them.. a mirror of DC tax policies I guess... Back into the gutter with my head held high .

Yeah, they did at 12:00 EST, not CST or MST.

My son is now a "member". No more Premier Associate.
And mine was a 1K for one year (very ill deserved but thanks to double EQMs) but he had a heck of a mileage and first class meals run last weekend as a farewell. The flight attendant into DEN thought he was some kind of Google Exec in the making as she asked if he was my business partner. I told her yes, but he is the money losing side of the business with all the games he buys - and he is 15 which shocked the heck out of her. And he has gotten very picky about which first class seats he wants which worries me about some tantrum he'll throw when I forcible put him in coach next trip. I worry too about the psychologists bills. Let's hope an air marshall comes to deal with him if necessary.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Thanks. You guessed wrong about my booking window though. 5 months? Nah. This trip came up quickly. 3 weeks.

I never feel comfortable enough about my plans to book so far in advance. Back in the day, when you could re-fare at no cost, and cancellation fees a mere $100-$150, life was simpler. Book way out, watch for a lower fare, re-fare. Change dates & destinations if need be and you might still come out ahead. No more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.