Wiki Posts
Search

G is now a revenue fare for United

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Just a guess:

Since their handle has the universal UA employee disclaimer....

One might divine it was from UA/IM?
Ahh, that makes sense. Hadnt considered that.. Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by da1dan
PDX-MCI is what I am flying and I got the same price for G and K as you found. My flights are United flights booked on United.com.
I know the G fare is available on some dates via ual.com but I noticed on the exact same days, continental.com had G fares available and ual.com did not (just K) even though they were the same flights on the same day.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:07 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Just a guess:

Since their handle has the universal UA employee disclaimer....

One might divine it was from UA/IM?
I would buy that. Airlines must communicate changes in processes to their agents and agencies. Seeing as how it pertains to inventory, IM would be a good guess as to who made the change, and who sent out the briefing.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You can get T and/or K to YYZ? Usually, out of CVG, the best I can get to YYZ, for the last year or two, is W.
Lots of it available from LAX (and SFO) because of the soon to be missed Redwood service.

Originally Posted by epiding
I got a K fare recently on the IAD-BOS leg of SFO-IAD-BOS. it was not booked 21 days or more at all.
I think it depends on the market.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is no pre-defined advance purchase requirement that applies to all fares within a bucket. Many L, T, and K fares have no AP requirement at all. Any fare can have any AP requirement, from none to 50 days (or maybe more - 50 days is the longest I've seen).
You are right. I was using my most recent experience in limited markets.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by N1120A
Lots of it available from LAX (and SFO) because of the soon to be missed Redwood service.
Wait, what? Is Redwood pulling out of YYZ?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
I would buy that. Airlines must communicate changes in processes to their agents and agencies. Seeing as how it pertains to inventory, IM would be a good guess as to who made the change, and who sent out the briefing.
Just who do you think you are to make an assumption, based on my assumption?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by unavaca
Wait, what? Is Redwood pulling out of YYZ?
Yep. If you frequently fly to Canada like I do, it is smart to follow the AC forum even if you aren't an Aeroplan member. Redwood is out in June I think.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by Chandler69
Briefed by who?
United Airlines. I work for them.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:53 pm

UA seems to feel the need to add a new lower fare bucket every couple of years. Ten years ago the cheapest domestic fare bucket was W, and the cheapest international fares were usually Q's (meaning all international fares were SWUable).

Now below W we have S, T, L, K.... and now G. When do we run out of letters?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
UA seems to feel the need to add a new lower fare bucket every couple of years.
And higher as well, with the recent introduction of J, and a few years ago the mid-range to high Economy E and U buckets. And they did actually remove the P bucket not too long ago. (I can hear Cartman and the rest of the South Park kids laughing right now.)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
P bucket... nice.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Looking back at my United-Confirmation emails, it looks like most of my tickets for 2011 have been T fares..
Wow. I haven't been able to book one of those for the last 2-3 years. If it's a cheap-o, it's either been L or S, unless somehow i managed to find availability to use my Chase cert. Even when it was showing as bookable, .bomb either would dump me into L or S.

I'm usually going out of BWI, so maybe it is market specific.

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've heard of (and flown) just about every Government _CA fare including HCA, MCA, QCA, VCA, TCA, LCA, etc., and of course my favorite YCA.
I loved YCA fares for the fare bonus, and they often weren't much more expensive. There were times when forced to buy the lower fare, I'd get my receipt for the lower then upfare after that. I expensed the lower fare and paid the difference out of my own pocket. Worth it on long hauls for upgrade and EQMs.

UA allowing UDU on _CA fares? I haven't worked directly for the gov't for a few years now, and YCA fares used to be exempt from the comp upgrades.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:38 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
[QUOTE=Superguy;15758144]I loved YCA fares for the fare bonus, and they often weren't much more expensive. There were times when forced to buy the lower fare, I'd get my receipt for the lower then upfare after that. I expensed the lower fare and paid the difference out of my own pocket. Worth it on long hauls for upgrade and EQMs.
QUOTE]

Not that I don't like your extra $$, but GSA rules specify the form of payment (usually a govt cc/GTR) and specify lowest unrestricted booking fare. Clearly the GSA needs to do some more auditing.

While in principal, I see nothing wrong with this, contractualy, I do, and the GSA is all about the contract, not the principal.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Well, that was years ago. Was never told we couldn't do it, and it didn't happen that often. Most of the time I traveled on YCA as the restricted fares weren't available. Not that I minded ...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Superguy
UA allowing UDU on _CA fares? I haven't worked directly for the gov't for a few years now, and YCA fares used to be exempt from the comp upgrades.
Not sure... Some airlines have changed the fare code to create one specifically for government contract that prevents instant upgrades for those fares and pushes them down in the fare order...

In the past, some airlines would book government fares directly into Y, which meant instant upgrades or puts government employees at the very top of the upgrade list... Now that is not the case anymore...

However, I do not know where UA puts those fares in the upgrade order and whether they are eligible for UDU or not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.