Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ANA-UAL joint venture flights and UA upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX

Any have news on the joint venture (eff 2011/4/1) flights and UA upgrades will apply to these flights?, and also full 1K 100% bonus will apply?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
The JV shouldn't have any impact on the customer experience. All UA/NH flights will be like any other. The JV is entirely behind the scenes operations and accounting.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by av8r316
The JV shouldn't have any impact on the customer experience. All UA/NH flights will be like any other. The JV is entirely behind the scenes operations and accounting.
I think the OP is extrapolating the question from the benefits of the UA/LH JV which does give 100% bonus and SWU applicability.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
If it's like the IAD-MAD JV with EI, then flights would be treated exactly like other UA flights - SWUs, lifetime mileage, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:07 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I think the only thing that will change is the mileage accrual agreement... All T and higher fares will earn 100% RDM/EQM and elite bonus...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by fzwinter
If it's like the IAD-MAD JV with EI, then flights would be treated exactly like other UA flights - SWUs, lifetime mileage, etc.
That's not really a joint venture, but a wet lease/fee per departure agreement. Its basically a long haul version of United Express.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by N1120A
That's not really a joint venture, but a wet lease/fee per departure agreement. Its basically a long haul version of United Express.
Nailed it right on the head. The NH JV is basically like what we have with AC/CO/LH/US. More close coordination on fares and schedules, possibly more codeshares. Sharing of the profits on over-water flights regardless of who the carrier is.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I think the OP is extrapolating the question from the benefits of the UA/LH JV which does give 100% bonus and SWU applicability.
Yes, that is I wanted to comfirm that I can use my SWU upgrades on ANA flights like on LH now, and also the 100% Elite bonus (which does not apply currently). the 100% bonus would get me use the NH flights of Taiwan.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by Taipei
Yes, that is I wanted to comfirm that I can use my SWU upgrades on ANA flights like on LH now, and also the 100% Elite bonus (which does not apply currently). the 100% bonus would get me use the NH flights of Taiwan.
Don't know if the SystemWide certs will work with NH. AC/CO/US are part of the same JV with LH but you can't use the upgrade certs with them. However you do get the mileage bonuses with them so I'd say it will most likely apply NH as well.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Don't know if the SystemWide certs will work with NH. AC/CO/US are part of the same JV with LH but you can't use the upgrade certs with them. However you do get the mileage bonuses with them so I'd say it will most likely apply NH as well.
I'm sure that would get more UA fliers using NH for intra Asia travel as well. If one is torn between OZ and NH (I will always choose OZ, but I'm extremely biased) the NH mileage bonus may get one to choose NH instead. It would also be nice to earn 150% EQM on F and C tickets on NH.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Taipei
Yes, that is I wanted to comfirm that I can use my SWU upgrades on ANA flights like on LH now, and also the 100% Elite bonus
I would say the odds of SWUs working on NH is zero, but I'll give a 75% chance on the elite bonus.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Bonus is likely what we will see but I'm hoping the JV "corrects" the lower than 100% earning on NH Economy fares. 70% earning on a B fare "blows". [see: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1182,00.html ]

Keep the 50% earn on T fares but the other economy fares should get a 100% earn.

Even when I post a UA B farecode flight to my ANA Mileage Club account, a B fare is 70%! UGH
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
While I don't want to guarantee anything, if you check out the ANA press release linked below and scroll to section 4, you'll see:
Following the granting of anti-trust immunity by Japan and U.S. authorities, ANA Group will commence its joint venture (JV) with United Airlines and Continental Airlines on trans-pacific routes on April 1, 2011. The three airlines have already worked together through code sharing, mileage alliances, and collocation of departure terminals as Star Alliance partners. Implementation of the JV will call for integration of the airlines’ domestic and international networks, along with common fares, and adjustments to their respective timetables. This will enable passengers to choose from a wider selection of convenient flight combinations, while also retaining each carrier’s unique service features. On routes operated under the JV, passengers will also earn miles under the same terms and conditions of their existing mileage programs, regardless of which airline they choose to fly with. Details of fares will be provided in a separate announcement.
I take that to mean that we'll be getting the 100% RDM's and bonus EQM's as we would if flying United and crediting to mileage plus.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/pr...pdf/110118.pdf
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Agreed that the chances of SWU's working on NH is VERY low. NH protects their premium cabins to a huge degree. It's common to be in F from NA or Europe to NRT with 3 or less people occupying the cabin. SWU's would pretty much fill the cabins unless they only allowed a small number per flight to clear.

I just don't think that's in the cards. But man, if it was, I'd love it!

The elite bonus will be good though, that seems a hell of a lot more likely.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
Good news for HNL!

Looking forward to April! There are only 2 *Alliance carriers out of HNL to Asia and they are UA and NH! I did a B fare once, part UA part NH, and the 70% mileage was both unexpected and brutal for the price paid! 100% RDM bonus would be awesome, if true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.