Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thanks United - Positive Experiences (2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks United - Positive Experiences (2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Had a GREAT experience with the FA's on GoJet the other day. John P and Nina were absolutely fantastic FA's on my ORD-RIC flight. John was funny, engaging, attentive, and professional to those of us sitting in F. Had a great rapport with the customers and his colleague. Nina served mainly E, but was affable, attentive, professional, and just very kind. Alas, I didn't have a GTEM with me, but you can bet I'll be writing to 1PVoice and lauding them on ualsurvey.com.

One of John's first announcements was that we're heading to RIC and that "if your travel plans tonight don't include Richmond, now would be a good time to let us know." Also, "if you have any questions at all, please ask my friend Nina. She loves answering questions, so please don't be shy and ask a LOT of questions." I also appreciated that he announced the flight crew's full names. I actually heard 3 people ask if he had worked at Southwest in the past, at which he was very appreciative.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Great GA at MRY

I was flying MRY-LAX-IAH-RDU a couple weeks back and the MRY-LAX flight ended up being delayed. The GA at MRY made consistent announcements on the status of the delay and was very helpful and full of smiles. Especially impressive as this was the last flight of the day and I'm sure she wanted to go home.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I would like to thank UA.

If you don't know, UA flies a 767 from Lagos, Nigeria (LOS), to Accra, Ghana (ACC), where it picks up more pax, and then onward to IAD.

I'm in LOS tonight with a one-way ticket on Air Nigeria to ACC tomorrow and then leave tomorrow night in paid J with confirmed F using an SWU on UA that cleared at booking to IAD. Air Nigeria, for reasons remaining unknown and without apology, cancels my ticket and won't honor it or get me to ACC until tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is too late to get there.

I walk away from the counter, look at the departure board for options, and then power up my phone, and ring the 1K desk.

Me: "Hi. I'm on the ACC flight tomorrow night to IAD but find myself stuck in the God forsaken LOS airport now and would like to go home from here instead and do so tonight."

1K: "You're at the airport now and you want to change both your departure city and departure date and get on our flight that leaves in two hours."

Me: "Yes, please. And if you can throw my SWU at the record and see if I can reclaim my upgrade, I'd be most grateful. And, just to sweeten the deal, I'd like to offer you my eternal friendship if you make that happen and get me into seat 1K, my favourite on the 767."

1K: "Um, sure. Let me see."

tap, tap, tap, tap...endless tapping...tap, tap, tap

1K: "You're all set Dr. Envoyboy. Just get yourself over to FC/GS check-in immediately."

Me: "You have my email address in my file. Send me your Christmas wish list! And make a note of it now that we're eternal friends."

Thank You UA for getting me out of here on next to no notice, without pause or question, for confirming my upgrade, and for putting my sad a*s in 1K. I've never felt more loyalty or affection for you.

(NOTE TO CO: don't ruin this airline.)
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy

I'm in LOS tonight with a one-way ticket on Air Nigeria to ACC tomorrow and then leave tomorrow night in paid J with confirmed F using an SWU on UA that cleared at booking to IAD. Air Nigeria, for reasons remaining unknown and without apology, cancels my ticket and won't honor it or get me to ACC until tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is too late to get there.
I was on a few intra-Africa flights last year, in Tanzania. I had many of your same types of experiences; I wish UA had been an option to bail me out!!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Cool

I had the opportunity to fly last weekend LAX-HNL with Captain Mark Swint -- a class act. I first met him in the galley as I was chatting with the F cabin crew (I'd flown with them two weeks prior) and they'd introduced me to him. Capt. Swint later took the time (pre-departure) to stop and introduce himself to each of the passengers in the First Class cabin, asking each person about their trip (or something similar) and also answering any questions. It's been a long time since I've seen a pilot take the time to do a walk through the F (or other) cabin talking with the pax, especially on an individual basis. In addition, his enthusiasm for United (and UACO), shines through.

Similarly the F cabin crew that segment were fantastic (Val & Wayne, for any of the regulars who fly with the HNL-based FAs) - they were throughout the cabin during the entire flight rather than the usual disappearing act following meal service and they had attitudes that truly showed how much they enjoy their jobs and the pax they fly with.

Last edited by cawhite; Feb 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
UA 6 SFO-JFK Feb 9

Great C crew, best I've had in at least 3 years. Made for a great trip.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:55 pm

Smile Newbie 2P experience

OK folks. I'm a believer. As a lowly 2P, I made 6 of 6 on UDU to first class on this morning's flight from SFO to LAX. Pretty cool.

On the way back, not so lucky with over 20 1K members flying back. Oh well.

I'm scheduled on a redeye from SFO to IAH on CO and I just checked in. While I didn't get first on that leg, I was automagically bumped to first on the next leg from IAH to MCO. I love this.

For those folks thinking of getting to even 2P, DO IT!

Moderator, if there are other threads that sound like this one, please merge. This is just so very exciting. ^
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davetastic
OK folks. I'm a believer. As a lowly 2P, I made 6 of 6 on UDU to first class on this morning's flight from SFO to LAX. Pretty cool.
You did SFO-LAX in 6 segments???? That may be a new record for segment-running.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:16 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by mkleiderman
You did SFO-LAX in 6 segments???? That may be a new record for segment-running.
haha. sorry, i was #6 on the upgrade list

but i did run 4 segments from sfo to las once. pretty silly, but i also was forced into first on us.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
1KVoice Rocks!

I'm sure there is a thread that covers this somewhere but I still wanted to give a big shout-out to the 1K Voice. (email address removed by moderator per TOS).

I have had two recent issues with SWU's incorrectly deducted so I wrote to 1Kvoice on two separate occassions. I received an immediate "We got your complaint email and will reply shortly) emails. Then I recieved actual replies and resolution emails from an agent within five days. Personal comments and a full name and title and everything.

In my experience as a 1K over the last five years, I have found 1KVoice to be a great tool for resolving this kind of issue. But I have noticed a definite improvement in their responsiveness in the last year or so.

Kudos to 1kVoice! ^^^

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm Reason: Removed email per TOS
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:12 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I also had a good experience with the 1K Voice e-mail recently.

Much better than taking your chances on the phone.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Had an excellent ORD based 1K agent, last night. I called to check on the upgrade for ORD-FRA. Before I started talking, he said "Mr. FS, how are you doing tonight, and which of the many reservations do we need to look at?" I told him ORD-FRA, and "wow, only one day" was his response. After I said it was to earn miles, he said "I'm just amazed at how some of you fly on these long flights, stay one day, and then return! Doesn't it tire you?" I mentioned my eight hour visit to Sydney, and he was pretty amazed.

Anyway, he told me that the cabin had only booked 20/52 in C, and the upgrade looked very good. He gave me some tips on FRA, and just chatted with me for a few moments.. ^

Definitely one of the best people I've ever spoken to. I wish UA had private line reps, like Hyatt. I'd definitely choose him to be my rep ^

Thanks, UA
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:08 am

Great Customer Service Experience at SFO

On a recent journey SYD-SFO-IAD with Mrs. SkyWahoo we had a bit of a problem.

The Mrs. realized after going through immigration (but before customs) that she had left her iPad on the 747. Quickly went to the United reps in the baggage claim area and they said the plane gets towed, but they would go check if it was still there. Unfortunately, it had already been towed away from the gate and we got a less than satisfactory response from them on what we should do.

We had gotten invitations to the arrivals lounge and thus headed there for some food and perhaps someone new to talk to about our problem.

It was there we met [personal information removed, per FT policy], who really went above and beyond. While we were there eating some breakfast, we could hear her making multiple calls to people to try and help us. Ultimately, she was able to confirm that they had found the iPad and now it was a matter of if they could get someone out there and back (clearing customs, since it was an international arrival) before our connecting flight left.

We left the lounge to head to the gate and I gave her my phone number to give to anyone that needed to contact us about the matter. No less than 10 minutes after we got to the gate, I recieved a call from [her] saying she had the iPad and would bring it to us at the gate.

Not only did she faciliate getting our property back to us, she was very good at keeping us updated on the situation and what we should expect if they couldn't get the iPad to us before our connecting flight left. Also, she was very compassionate and really seemed to *want* to help us with our problem.

I have no idea who else she was working with to get this all coordinated, but they all deserve a hearty thanks as well.

A great experience.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 23, 2011 at 10:20 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q69
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: *Alliance
Glad to hear that -- and hope you copy/paste it into a letter to UAL!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:34 am

or an email to [email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.