Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Buying extra miles uses departure country currency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

As I was checking in for my flight home from London I was given the option to purchase extra miles. I was surprised to see that they were in GBP rather than USD. Is that normal or was .bomb using some sort of locality to see I was checking in via a PC in the UK?

Ron

*this* close to 2P/Premier Gold and will get there this year.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Normal AFAIK, probably based on IP address/locality.

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wish I had known - would have VPNed back to the states and save a conversion fee. Live and learn I guess.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Wish I had known - would have VPNed back to the states and save a conversion fee. Live and learn I guess.
Besides the conversion fee, there's the conversion exchange rate. You're correct - if one has VPN capabilities & is in a country whose currency is smacking the US$ upside the head, then VPN is the way to go. Of course if one is in one of the (few) countries where the local currency is less than the US greenback, then booking in the local makes sense.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.