Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP via status match, COdbaUA 1K

Today I flew JFK-LAX and used 15k to upgrade from Y to C. I was given seat 9B (my favorite) but was warned by the agent at RCC that "the seat has no power, it is broken and they will not be able to fix it on time". I said i will still take the UG. At the gate, the GA also warned me of this so I asked them "if I would be compensated since I cannot now work on my laptop and the UG cost me 15k miles"? To my relative surprise, the GA said "absolutely" and gave me a few options - $200 certificate or 9000 miles back in my MP account. I took the miles which essentially made the UG a 6k UG. Then on board, the FA gave me a "Please accept our Apology" card with the same offer on it to "accept UA's offer of goodwill" within 90 days.^

Has anyone else had this experience as well (or has had the opposite experience where you were not offered any form of compensation)?

Still no Channel 9 though
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Getting the "double apology" is a bit of a coup, but I would definitely expect one, and have always gotten one for a broken seat. I always upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
I think this year will probably be the last year of this as the new UA/CO will reply back with,

"Sorry about your troubles, but we won't offer compensation and this is the end of our communications regarding this matter..." whether the complaint was really valid or not.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:13 am

UA Int'l Flight Delayed -- Two Compensation Offers?!?

I was scheduled to take the UA AUA-IAD flight on Jan 1 at 4:20 pm. However, upon my arrival at the airport, I was informed that the flight was canceled due to the crew's expiration for that day. We were put up at the sub-par Holiday Inn (while the crew was at the Westin). The flight was re-scheduled for Jan 2 at 9:30 am. The flight attendants were quite nice in apologizing to everyone on the plane and then distribured the "Appreciation" cards. However, mere moments later, the same flight attendant announced that we should visit www.united.com/understanding instead to get a better accomodation since our delay was international and for an extra day. I cannot find this "Understanding" website. What is going on? Further, what should I expect to receive? I am also traveling with a toddler and an infant. I have tickets for both, are they then entitled to similar compensation despite the toddler's fare being 75% of the adult fare and the infant's far being 10% of the adult fare?

Thanks,
Brian
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bashin
I was scheduled to take the UA AUA-IAD flight on Jan 1 at 4:20 pm. However, upon my arrival at the airport, I was informed that the flight was canceled due to the crew's expiration for that day. We were put up at the sub-par Holiday Inn (while the crew was at the Westin). The flight was re-scheduled for Jan 2 at 9:30 am. The flight attendants were quite nice in apologizing to everyone on the plane and then distribured the "Appreciation" cards. However, mere moments later, the same flight attendant announced that we should visit www.united.com/understanding instead to get a better accomodation since our delay was international and for an extra day. I cannot find this "Understanding" website. What is going on? Further, what should I expect to receive? I am also traveling with a toddler and an infant. I have tickets for both, are they then entitled to similar compensation despite the toddler's fare being 75% of the adult fare and the infant's far being 10% of the adult fare?

Thanks,
Brian
I think he/she meant to say http://www.united.com/appreciation That's usually where people are sent to in these situations.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
I think he/she meant to say http://www.united.com/appreciation That's usually where people are sent to in these situations.
No, they explictly told us there were two websites that could be accessed, but "Understanding" would provide us more significant compensation. Were they mistaken? Is this a new site?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:06 pm

Mechanical trouble on UA flight out of HNL to Denver - had to deplane a board another plane - 90 min delay - $200 voucher!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
I am a 2P
ORD>MKE Had to weight rebalance our CRJ-200, i was first to volunteer quickly to move back, another guy was pretty hesitant, after everyone sat there for a good min. While the FA did final check she brought back an appreciation card, got a $150 Cert, 7k miles, 15%. I took the $150, the other guy got a card too. On a side note there was a mech delay for this flight also.

Thanks to iluvtofly I found the 2011 thread, decent way for me to start the year.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Azurik
I think this year will probably be the last year of this as the new UA/CO will reply back with,

"Sorry about your troubles, but we won't offer compensation and this is the end of our communications regarding this matter..." whether the complaint was really valid or not.
Hah totally agree! With Jeff Smisek in control I believe the excessive e-cert giveaways will be doneski.

I had a busted light and broken tray on a LHR-IAD flight last week in E+ along with three days of cancellations trying to get over to London...no compensation (although my submission wasn't a complaint - more of an observation and trying to understand their rebooking methods with elite status and booking fare). Response was, "we'll pass along your comments to our in-flight maintenance team." So it goes...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Hah totally agree! With Jeff Smisek in control I believe the excessive e-cert giveaways will be doneski.

I had a busted light and broken tray on a LHR-IAD flight last week in E+ along with three days of cancellations trying to get over to London...no compensation (although my submission wasn't a complaint - more of an observation and trying to understand their rebooking methods with elite status and booking fare). Response was, "we'll pass along your comments to our in-flight maintenance team." So it goes...
Your profile shows you as a 1K. You should definitely call the 1K line and email them as well. That's just unacceptable. This is not a case of "being overcompensated. . ."
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:31 pm

I was on the phone for 40 min changing the reservation. Then asked for a voucher for the trouble. The rep transferred to international reservations then by mistake (domestic ticket). New rep, based in US gave me $150 right away.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Flew SJC-DEN on SkyWest today.. Fifty minute delay leaving SJC, as the inbound CRJ was delayed due to late arriving crew in DEN.. Sent $250 e-cert, 10K miles, or 20% worldwide cert..

Took the $250
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ldsant
Your profile shows you as a 1K. You should definitely call the 1K line and email them as well. That's just unacceptable. This is not a case of "being overcompensated. . ."
Thanks...yeah I emailed again - been really busy and slipped my mind...might be too late but we'll see. I understand weather conditions but old equipment is getting annoying...even Main Cabin Select on VX is pretty damn nice.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Flew SJC-DEN on SkyWest today.. Fifty minute delay leaving SJC, as the inbound CRJ was delayed due to late arriving crew in DEN.. Sent $250 e-cert, 10K miles, or 20% worldwide cert..

Took the $250
Interesting.....I was on a PS flight JFK-SFO (in C) this past Saturday and we were over an hour late due to mx with an eventual swap to another PS a/c and got squatted on.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Cool Long day with United

short version:
==========

Checked-in to flight, flight canceled due to next days expected weather 10pm, automatically rebooked poorly, then phone rebooked on a somewhat better option 6am , 1hr wait a continental counter to get everything straightened up with call center, 2hr delay at Houston for United flight because of delayed 1st officer

long version:
==========
No status on United:

Was traveling home with my fiancee from MIA - IAD - OKC leaving at 1:20pm (1/11/11)

Flight canceled last night (after 10pm) due to expected weather today after we were checked in (united rebooked me to overnight at Dulles and her to travel on and make it home)

Called United and got both of us rebooked on a Continental and a United flight getting home today FLL - IAH - OKC leaving at 6:20am

Got to Continental counter at airport and United did not process everything correctly - Agent spent 1 hour getting United call center to process everything

Made it to first flight Continental FLL - IAH with very little time to spare - quiet flight

Made it to the second flight United IAH - OKC - ended up being delayed 2 hours because the first officer was stuck in DFW

Now I just need help on how to approach this and what I should expect from United

Thanks,
Nissan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.