Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 11, 10:24 am   #31
  
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Monterey, CA USA
Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, TK Elite Plus, RC/MR Gold
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
UA 777 F

UA 747 F

I don't see a 10 inch difference.
I didn't get out my measuring tape...
But according to www.seatguru.com the difference is 10 inches. Check it out. They could be measuring the entire "suite" width difference, not just the seat. I can't comment because I didn't sit in F on the new config 777 yet.

Looking at the pix you reference there is definitely a difference. On the 777 the F seats are angled from the middle to the outside (towards the aisle) like the current herringbone C product on Cathay, Virgin, ANZ, etc. At the shoulder area, the width is definitely narrower than on the 747. Look at the 747 cabin and notice the seats are angled away from the aisle and the area at the shoulder appears wider. One of the major complaints pax had with the herringbone C-cabin design was feeling cramped at the shoulder causing Cathay to go with a new design where seats are angled away from the aisle rather than facing the aisle...this created a larger sense of space while maintaining privacy.

Again, I can't comment on exactly how seatguru got these measurements or which part of the seat/suite they measured, but they definitely show a 10 inch reduction between the 747/767 design and the new 777 layout.

Last edited by MaximusDamon; Jan 16, 11 at 10:31 am
MaximusDamon is offline  
Old Jan 16, 11, 10:39 am   #32
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 14,423
SeatGuru is listing the old F suite dimensions for the 777, instead of the new suite dimensions. See:

Old 747, 21 inch F

New 747, 31 inch F

I prefer looking at the evidence my eyes shows me from pictures. The F suites seem to be identical on the 747 and 777 (look at the shots of the singletons on the outer edge of the fuselage, for instance)- whereas it's obvious C isn't, and you can see THAT in pictures.

Also, be careful what you wish for. CO gets 50 J seats on a 777, two more premium class seats than UA F+C on a UA 777... by eliminating F. There's always tradeoffs. CO seating probably means no F.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 16, 11 at 10:52 am
eponymous_coward is online now  
Old Jan 16, 11, 10:52 am   #33
  
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Monterey, CA USA
Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, TK Elite Plus, RC/MR Gold
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Also, be careful what you wish for. CO gets 50 J seats on a 777, two more premium class seats than UA F+C on a UA 777... by eliminating F. There's always tradeoffs. CO seating probably means no F.
I understand, and yes, it's a tradeoff, but UA F really isn't all that special anyway (the seat is marginally better yes, but the food is still tragic compared to other carriers like TK, LX, and most middle eastern and asian carriers) and it's usually got employees taking up the bulk of the seats in there...so not a real loss if we end up with a better Business Class product IMHO.
MaximusDamon is offline  
Old Jan 25, 11, 5:22 am   #34
  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Fleet Conversion

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had any updates on the status of the 777 fleet conversion. Looks like UA has been working on N226UA all month with nothing else currently in for reconfiguring.

Anyone have any insight on the conversion plans for 2011? Hopefully they don't slow things down/stop while the complete the CO merger.

Happy flying!
Eurotraveller2011 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 11, 5:51 pm   #35
  
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington State
Programs: UA, Starwood, AAdvantage, Alaska, BAEC, Marriott, Hawaiian, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotraveller2011 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had any updates on the status of the 777 fleet conversion. Looks like UA has been working on N226UA all month with nothing else currently in for reconfiguring.

Anyone have any insight on the conversion plans for 2011? Hopefully they don't slow things down/stop while the complete the CO merger.

Happy flying!
I am really interested as to when N226UA is due out as I have Intl flights to LHR all this year and the more they finish the better it is for me. If someone has some insight please post what you know.
atanac is offline  
Old Jan 30, 11, 5:22 pm   #36
  
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DCA/IAD/MIA/FLL/PBI
Programs: UA*3.8MM/GS, SQ*PPS,Hyatt*Globalist, Marriott*Platinum Elite
Posts: 9,535
I flew in the Continental BusinessFirst cabin in the 772 recently.

IMHO, I'd be very happy if United can install the CO BusinessFirst seats and use the same layout and do away with the F cabin. I did say "IMHO" just in case......
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 2, 11, 2:27 pm   #37
  
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOI (formerly ORD)
Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
IMHO, I'd be very happy if United can install the CO BusinessFirst seats and use the same layout and do away with the F cabin. I did say "IMHO" just in case......
I don't disagree with the hard product argument, but the number of UA flights with XF seats open and no XC seats open is the reason I hope that 3-class service remains. XF awards have saved me many times... In my limited experience, biz awards on key CO routes (TLV, BOM, DEL, HKG) are almost impossible to come by; I'd hate to see that happen on UA's route network as well.
000123UA is offline  
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:24 pm   #38
  
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by atanac View Post
I am really interested as to when N226UA is due out as I have Intl flights to LHR all this year and the more they finish the better it is for me. If someone has some insight please post what you know.
Around February 8. As previously discussed it is considered a prototype and requires an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate).
worldtrav is offline  
Old Feb 2, 11, 11:14 pm   #39
  
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott/Hyatt Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,754
2011 Rollout...

Anyone know if UA plans to double-down on their 2011 rollout rate?

Based on the wiki, they planned to do 9 in 2010 and 16 this year, and based on their rate thus far, 16's probably not gonna happen. Is part of that due to the XQ conversions taking longer than expected last year, or is it possible that they're slowing the rate to convert to the PMCO config? Not trying to stir up speculation...just trying to figure out when the old configs will have gone the way of the dodo...
N515CR is offline  
Old Feb 2, 11, 11:20 pm   #40
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 19,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by N515CR View Post
Anyone know if UA plans to double-down on their 2011 rollout rate?

Based on the wiki, they planned to do 9 in 2010 and 16 this year, and based on their rate thus far, 16's probably not gonna happen. Is part of that due to the XQ conversions taking longer than expected last year, or is it possible that they're slowing the rate to convert to the PMCO config? Not trying to stir up speculation...just trying to figure out when the old configs will have gone the way of the dodo...
I believe it's already been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure that PMUA has a contract with the company that is doing the 777 modifications.. Not sure what kind of penalties there would be for canceling.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Feb 4, 11, 7:01 am   #41
  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
I believe it's already been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure that PMUA has a contract with the company that is doing the 777 modifications.. Not sure what kind of penalties there would be for canceling.
Let's hope they step up the conversion rate once they receive their STC certification
Eurotraveller2011 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 11, 11:25 am   #42
  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
Around February 8. As previously discussed it is considered a prototype and requires an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate).
Looks like she's out on schedule. I wonder which bird is up next. C'mon United, let's put the hammer down on the conversions.
Eurotraveller2011 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 11, 3:21 pm   #43
  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Yeah let's speed things up! :-) I'm on BRU-IAD-LAX - LAX-IAD - IAD-BRU (951 & 950 over 2 weeks period of time) in the beginning of july.
But I'm afraid it's going to be the old config since they seem to use a lot of B777-200 XC on that flight. And since it looks like the ER models are going to get converted first ... :-(

Ow well, let's just wait and see :-)

(BTW I'm new but have been sneaky and reading this forum for the past few weeks, so hi everyone )

Could it be they are currently converting 2 777's at the same time?
Flightaware shows no records beyond 29th of January for N219UA (http://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N219UA) and no history at all for N222UA (http://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N222UA). Both seem to be in KSFO
While writing this I also noticed that N796UA hasn't moved either from KSFO since the 4th of feb. - so that would be 3 777's at once :-)

I'm no expert on this so please don't kill me if I get it wrong :-)
Blame it on the interwebz ! :-)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 8, 11 at 3:51 pm Reason: moderation queue
p-nuts is offline  
Old Feb 8, 11, 6:23 pm   #44
  
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-nuts View Post
Could it be they are currently converting 2 777's at the same time?
Flightaware shows no records beyond 29th of January for N219UA (http://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N219UA) and no history at all for N222UA (http://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N222UA). Both seem to be in KSFO
While writing this I also noticed that N796UA hasn't moved either from KSFO since the 4th of feb. - so that would be 3 777's at once :-)

I'm no expert on this so please don't kill me if I get it wrong :-)
Blame it on the interwebz ! :-)
Hello P-nuts and welcome to FT. We don't bite let alone kill! In this case you are wrong but that won't always be the case

N219UA is in Victorville for paint.
N222UA and N796UA are in SFO for planned maintenance.
Bottom line, none of the 777's are in right now.

I think N209UA is the next one in for interior mod, but not until next month.
worldtrav is offline  
Old Feb 9, 11, 9:11 am   #45
  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK - BHD
Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-S; HH-G
Posts: 747
Red face Can I ask a (probably) stupid question?

I am keen to work out whether a flight I am planning will be on the new 77Q configuration and wonder if anyone has advice on how to predict this?

I hope to fly either LHR-SFO or LHR-LAX in June, in C, as an award flight. Not sure whether the 777s out of LHR are always the updated version (although seem to recall that having been the original intention...). If the UA b777 was expected to be the old config, I'd pick a different carrier for sure (and a different route if necessary).

Thanks for advice!

DC freeloader

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 9, 11 at 1:41 pm Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
diamond club freeloader is offline  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top