Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
[snip]
... devalue your top-level status
[snip]
[snip]
[yada yada]
NIMBY; Don't come to AA so you don't compete with my upgrades; No, Airlines should never have promos such as DEQM; 1K/EXP lites are not human beings; Everyone should pay full fare $4,000 a ticket out of your own pocket...yada yada yada.

We heard you, and not just in this thread. We get it.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:06 pm

Does AA even status match?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
this Iron Man 1K is ready to switch

Count me in.

All my flying is short hops in and out of ORD which means I very rarely have a connection. For the last 13 years I have been a 1K by flying 100 segments...which means 1 RT each week for the entire year - except Christams and Thanksgiving. Now with 1K's requiring 120 EQS's, I have absolutely ZERO chance of making 1K in the 2011 and beyond.

So if the AA lurkers are reading this, if you agree to match my status for 2011, I am ALL YOURS and I guarantee 50 RT tickets to you every year.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Don't come to AA so you don't compete with my upgrades
My upgrades on AA get bought with orphaned AA miles+cash (which, incidentally, can be procured before EXP comp upgrades and are the equivalent of SWUs, as they come out of the same bucket, a nice feature for non-elites you may end up having to use if you don't get comped EXP but do decide AA is worth your time to fly anyway). I don't have status with them (AS status, which I do have, means "you are lucky that you get EQMs with us, peasant, please enjoy your seat in 30B").

Incidentally, AS? They'll match MVPG based on a 1K (don't think they comp MVPG 75K, but the incidental benefit of that is marginal unless you fly a lot on AS)- and if you're going to be doing any significant West Coast travel, you'll find AS status quite handy (since AA's West Coast network isn't all that great, and AA/AS don't have luggage fee reciprocity). Knock yourself out by applying for the match and knocking me out of my upgrades. Their airline, their rules.

1K/EXP lites are not human beings
I don't begrudge anyone trying to work the system: this is, after all, FlyerTalk, home of "how can I get F class seats around the world for $0.32 in spend?". If you don't look out for yourself, the airlines aren't likely to. I just tend to think AA has dealt with high-value customers who switched airlines before as a result of mergers, seeing as, well, they INVENTED the frequent flyer program... and EXP comps are rare compared to challenges for lower levels of status, and there are good reasons for that.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I'm in.

1K - MM averaging about 200,000m a year

Bringing with my 1K girlfriend 100-125k a year

and 2 - 1K buddies I travel with that average 100 and 125k each respectively if we were offered a match we'd jump ship.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:30 pm

Status match to Plat, yes but it is a 'Challenge' not a match...

Originally Posted by bmw303
Does AA even status match?
I don't know how to link to a specific post, so pardon my cross posting here...

Yes, you can do a Plat Challenge. The AA Phone Agent I spoke with said she had never seen a match or challenge to ExPlat... (Maybe Bliss can change that! )

So, Bliss, I am already moving forward with the Plat Challenge (I am 1K with 115K BIS miles when 2010 finishes). If you have any luck with the group ExPlat status match / challenge, let me know!

Thanks!

This is the Thread:

JSD's comprehensive guide to AA for UA 1K's

Called AA just a few minutes ago to find out more about the Plat challenge.

The phone agent could not have been more helpful / friendly.

1) $200 to initiate the Platinum Challenge (depends upon start month because if you start in some months you get one and 1/2 years of Plat), pick your start date 1st or 15th of any month.

2) IF you ask, they will give you Gold from Day 1 while you are doing the Plat challenge. You must ask the agent for this - it is not the default! (Thanks FT / AA Wiki!)

3) Earn 10,000 EQP (Points do not equal miles!) and I'll have Plat until the end of February 2012.

Oh, and then the nice agent looked at my AA account and noticed I had about 65K expired RDM's... She mentioned that when I sign up for the Plat Challenge, I should also ask for the 'Re-engagement Challenge'. Basically after I spend a certain amount ($750?) on AA I will get 50K miles back at no charge. Great deal.

Then she said after that I could do a Level 2 (?) challenge by getting the Citi AA card and that my other 15K miles would be reinstated at no charge.

So:

- I'll have Plat until 2/12 after 10,000 EQP
- I'll get 65,000 RDM's reinstated at no charge
- I'll have the 30,000 mile bonus from signing up for the Citi AA card
- plus the RDM's I earn achieving the Plat challenge...

Not a bad deal in my book. $200 for the challenge plus the cost to earn 10,000 EQP. I'll be a Plat and have 100K + RDM's to redeem.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The AA Phone Agent I spoke with said she had never seen a match or challenge to ExPlat... (Maybe Bliss can change that! )
The Phone Agent may not have seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't happen.

To be clear, I'm not interested in bolting from UA at this time; this change to the program is going to have minimal effect on me. However, for those of you that are interested, AA has, in the past, provided status matches for 1Ks to EXP and for GS to Concierge Key in mass exodus situations.

The following thread will likely be of interest, notably posts #92, #93, and #99:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html

Not sure how well 50 some odd 1Ks and GSs will match up to the above situation, but at least it gives you some perspective of what you need to achieve in order to get AA to pull the trigger on EXP / CK status matches.

Happy flying guys and hope everyone finds what they want whether they stay or go.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bniu
EXP is highest priority, 1K is behind GS
Er, what about the Ambassador/Concierge Key program, most notoriously mentioned in "Up In The Air?"

Aren't they equivalent to UA GS? They would, then, come first above an EXP, would they not?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=121238800
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by azepine00
BlissWorld,

I am EXP on AA and 1K on UA but next year I am dropping EXP (after about 25K on AA this year). Aside from the route structure (LAX based) several important aspects play in UA favor: AA does not have UDU for a companion, E+, *A is much better than OW both from earning and redeeming standpoints, ability to use SWUs on LH and a few other features. The biggest point for AA was EVIPs - usable on all fares and 8 of them.
Same here (1K + EXP). E+ is huge, huge, huge, and by far the biggest factor for me (well, that and I'm in DEN and AA has almost no presence here). However, exit row on the maddog is pretty good when my UG doesn't clear (only happened once this year), and I've always been able to get exit row. But I prefer OW by far over *A, especially the FCL access, able to check-in using the FC line, etc, when on international travel. When I fly OW (such as CX/KA), I usually get served before others, and I'm usually singled out/thanked by the pursuer for being OW emerald as well. OW carriers take very good care of their top-tiers, even if it's a different airline.

Also, if you are tall like me (6"5"), the new UA business seats are way too small. I can't lie flat at all, I actually prefer AA J to UA C just for the size. Even though AA J seats aren't true lie-flat, at least I can dangle my feet off the edge

As for routing: UA does have more international flights on UA metal, but flying OW, my miles count to AA lifetime status even if it's not AA, so I don't care which metal I fly on OW. CX to HKG knocks the socks off of UA (or AA via NRT for that matter), period.

AA's presence into europe is OK. I can get to where I need to go on AA metal (usually FRA, LHR, BCN) and I if I need to go anywhere else, I can get there on BA or IB after connecting in Europe, it's not bad at all.

So I really don't think AA has an issue with presence in Europe/Asia with partners like CX/BA which have very good networks in their markets. The biggest drawback to AA's lack of AA-metal presence is not being able to use the SWU's on OW airlines. If you could use the SWU/eVIP on OW airlines, then AA would have a home-run.

Also, my SWU success on AA is very high, I can pretty much get F on any flight unless I do a last minute booking. Not so good luck on UA since GS is above 1K. For example, I have never been able to upgrade on UA to F to HKG or TPE, too many GS folks trump a 1K.

Lastly, AA EXP desk just knocks the socks off of 1K. It's really not even close... I'm usually on hold 5-10 minutes when calling 1K, but I can get through to the EXP line immediately.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by StarAllianceFanatic
Sheeple listen up:

There is not one mention or promise of UDU's being continued on UACO.
Given CO pushed UA to have UDU before the merger, there's no question UDU will continue.

But there's a big question if it will continue in the same form as it did in 2010, or be more like CO's upgrade system, which is inferior. Based on on what happened yesterday, I suspect the latter.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Please include me if you can get AA to match. I am interested!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by blug
No one wants to move to DL?
but there are certainly dAArk aspects of AA, the most remarkable one being its poor route network and partner airlines. What's the point of saying UA's W fare on SFO-SYD is over $2000? AA doesn't even fly anywhere-SYD. Besides, if you travel to Europe a lot, the amount saved by using AA's SWU may well be used to pay the hefty UK tax.
Yep, that's the case down here in Oz with AA little network and very poor partner (QANTAS ). Aussie UA elites are stranded and are going to have to wait this one out until we see what the new CO comes up with next, but I sure wish you all the best in your quest for status match at AA ^. I'd be seriously considering joining you if I was still based in the USA.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
Count us in:

me: 1Kmm
partner: 1P

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Er, what about the Ambassador/Concierge Key program, most notoriously mentioned in "Up In The Air?"

Aren't they equivalent to UA GS? They would, then, come first above an EXP, would they not?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=121238800
This is one nice thing about AA EXP. Unlike 1K, EXP is truly the top tier as the Concierge Key program is not treated as a separate level for upgrade purposes.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Ten year 1K open to change

Since my 100 segments+ a year are no longer important enough to earn 1K status I am open to taking my business over to AA - planning on calling this evening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.