Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by StingWest
I never, well hardly ever, have a wait of more than 60 secs when calling the 1K desk. It might be the time zone you're in or something!

Unless AA suddenly adopts E+ seating (or UA drops it), I imagine the number of UA 1K/GS fliers who will actually switch will be minimal, esp if you have to earn your status on AA, which I predict. I can't imagine depending on the availability of an exit row seat.
When I have to call 1K, it's usually during irrops that I call, so that may have something to do with it. Also, when that happens, the time-distortion effect kicks in as well: 5-10 could very well be 2-5, it just seems longer when you need be somewhere *now* but your flight just got canceled/delayed

You're right about E+, that's the key thing keeping me on UA. I don't imagine any GS will switch, I know I wouldn't if I made it this year. I travel enough that I can keep top-tier status on both (well, sorta, GS is really top, not 1K). So for next year, I think I'll keep my status on both, that is, unless I make GS this year. Next year should be telling. We'll finally get to see what UA will do to MP, see the impact of all the new 75K elites (I disagree with that level, 1P gets screwed), and AA's response to all of this.

My gut feeling is that, at the end of all of this, nothing will change and the answer to "which airline should I fly" will still be "it depends" UA will have a better network + E+, though somewhat diluted benefits; AA and UA will still have their Helen's; AA EXP will still be better than 1K (and in my opinion AA will still have a better FF program); and we'll still see the holy-war wage over why one airline is better than the other. Of course, thanks to the TSA, we may all end up riding in buses and trains, but that's another topic
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by patk

My gut feeling is that, at the end of all of this, nothing will change and the answer to "which airline should I fly" will still be "it depends" UA will have a better network + E+, though somewhat diluted benefits; AA and UA will still have their Helen's; AA EXP will still be better than 1K (and in my opinion AA will still have a better FF program); and we'll still see the holy-war wage over why one airline is better than the other. Of course, thanks to the TSA, we may all end up riding in buses and trains, but that's another topic
Definitely agree with all that. And looking at all the names of the programs that you belong to, i think the next war may be about who can invent the most superior-sounding frequent-flyer program name!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
Watching closely

I am not ready to leave yet, so my main hub is SFO. I was thinking about the same idea and believe my company has a one time status match program.

I will have to look into the exact details and report back.

Until the dust settles I am not moving, but I agree I am not happy about the changes.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by StingWest
I never, well hardly ever, have a wait of more than 60 secs when calling the 1K desk. It might be the time zone you're in or something!

Unless AA suddenly adopts E+ seating (or UA drops it), I imagine the number of UA 1K/GS fliers who will actually switch will be minimal, esp if you have to earn your status on AA, which I predict. I can't imagine depending on the availability of an exit row seat.
I would agree that the absolute best most of us could hope for is a one-off EXP challenge. I very much doubt they would give away EXP for free to a whole lot of people, it would be out of character.

For me, CR1s have not been a big deal. Perhaps if I flew to JFK regularly they would be of more value, but I wouldn't be surprised if PS went away anyway. As for the rest, I was trying to get to Boston in a couple of weeks and looking for confirmable flights, even with a stop in DEN or ORD. With less capacity last December this turned out to be trivial, I had several options. Same week this year, and more direct flights, but no confirmable upgrades all the way. Another anecdotal point, no doubt, but I am struggling to get super excited by an instrument I am having a hard time using. YMMV, or course, but that's how it plays for me. All of a sudden AA becomes vastly more attractive for its route, and EXP will get me into the First Class BA lounge at LHR, which beats the hell out of anything UA will ever hope to have, and is as good as any lounge in the *A nextwork save the LH F terminal at FRA. And I'll be there all the time. Decisions, decisions ...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
This is completely a no-go for me. As someone previously mentioned, AA (whom my parents preferred) pulled completely out of ALB and with the frequency that I fly there there is no way I'm going to switch.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Alright, we're up to 52 now. That's the number I'm comfortable with before contacting them, but let's wait to see if the number even grows higher.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I'm curious. Other than because you tell them how is AA supposed to verify that you really have some sort of contract agreement with these 52 people?

You are not:
  • A Travel Agent
  • A corporate travel agent
  • Someone with authority to act on behalf of a corporation or other entity with a high volume of travel business

And from what I've seen not all those who have responded are even 1K.

I agree with the others who have said that the best you can really expect is some sort of challenge. And that is likely to come at a cost since there already a precedent for that on the Plat challenge.

While I don't think you will get what you stated as the expectation in the OP, Exp Plat status on AA because you are 1K on United, more power to you if you succeed. I will be amazed but stranger things have happened.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I'm in if I can get a status match. Options out of DEN are less than desirable but I'm willing to make it work if AA is willing to show me the respect that UA apparently doesn't wish to.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K-RCC, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Alright, we're up to 52 now. That's the number I'm comfortable with before contacting them, but let's wait to see if the number even grows higher.
Please add me to the list... I am in.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
I'll do it. I'm 1k and PLT on Delta, but not living full time in Chi. I was thinking about getting matched to AA, but would only do it if I got Ex PLT.

Add me to the list!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:12 pm

I am a non-big-spender 1k interested in making the jump. I used to fly AA, back in the MRTC days, but left about 4 years ago to return to UAL.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
I'm interested too. Please add me to the list. Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Please add me to the list. I am completely opting out of flying DL next year as a DL Plat and can drop most of UA too, if AA would match me to EXP. My leanings towards dropping UA are based on the crap treatment for elites in coach, SWU restrictions, and the CR-1 cutbacks.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Bye Bye

Count me in. I'd be happy to leave.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:37 pm

I'd be up for a match to EXP, even though I highly doubt AA would match me (or anyone else in this thread).

Last edited by United757; Nov 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.