Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO or LH econ TATL as UA 1K - experiences/recommendations?

Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others

As in the title ...

Due to schedule change might be switching from TATL in UA E+ to CO or LH econ - as I've never flow econ longhaul in either, any experiences or recommendations to guide me on a preference?

Europe to USA, so daytime. Comfort of seat/space would be my main concern.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I have flown quite a few LH TATL, but only a couple on Continental, so may not be the best person to reply. On the issue of seat comfort, it really seems to depend a lot on the plane, although if pressed I would give the nod to LH.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just flew CO EWR-BRU-EWR in Y and have flown dozens of longhauls in LH.

I like LH IFE and food better, but either one is sufficient.

UA E+ would be worth the extra connection, IMO.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
On CO, you could probably get an exit row. I've read a number of reports that mention how terrible LH Y is.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
On CO, you could probably get an exit row. I've read a number of reports that mention how terrible LH Y is.
Absolutely, though the OP may also be able to get an exit row on Lufty the day of departure.

Plus, perhaps he can convert one of his SWUs to an LH paper voucher.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by manord
As in the title ...

Due to schedule change might be switching from TATL in UA E+ to CO or LH econ - as I've never flow econ longhaul in either, any experiences or recommendations to guide me on a preference?

Europe to USA, so daytime. Comfort of seat/space would be my main concern.
I tend to prefer LH, although if you can grab an exit row it can be ok on CO. On CO, the movies seem a little dated, my Hindu meal turned out to be a vegetarian meal (and the breakfast was a soggy tofu sandwich! YUCK!), and it was a narrow body for the segment I was on (ARN-EWR). My experiences with LH have been positive overall, the IFE is pretty up to date, and for my Europe/West Coast connections they're a good choice.

They also double-upped me on my last flight with them^, so I like LH quite a bit..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback folks. Unfortunately it's too close to the flying date to get a SWU converted to paper for use on LH (and the LH C cabins look pretty full anyway).

It sounds like there is not much between them, which is good news in that I can't pick the wrong one as such.

(In spite of several years using FT as lurker and poster, I still occasionally book a hotel or flight without checking here first, then check, then regret ...)

I get connections either way, but staying on UA TATL means some awkward timings.

In the spirit of all things merger, I might try CO for the experience.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
One major advantage of LH eco is the free booze!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
You do know UA will FedEx you a paper SWU for use on LH, right?

When are you flying?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Double RDMs on either carrier if you credit to UA, so that doesn't factor in either.

You can call the 1K desk and get a paper SWU overnighted to you via FedEx (should be at no charge). If you have time, it won't hurt to have one handy *just in case*.

EDIT: AS219 beat me to it!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

To a UK address?

I have just under a week.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manord
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

To a UK address?

I have just under a week.
Call UA right away. I bet they can get it to you in time. If not, PM me.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Will see how I get on ...
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K Million Mile flyer, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, Marriott
I have done both LH and Co in Y fairly recently. I would say first off, that being a tall person, I would easily sacrifice the AVOD for the Eplus every time. 31-32 inches is not fun for me and I can bring my own entertainment. That being said, if you are forced to choose between LH and CO I would go with CO. Neither airline will really care about your Star Gold status, and both coach seats are pretty uncomfortable. The two things that I noticed a difference were in the food and the AVOD. The food on LH is better and I believe alcohol is free. But, CO had about 180 movies to choose from and another 30 or so TV episodes while LH has significantly less. For that reason I would take CO. Even if it is uncomfortable at least the flight passes quickly. Good luck.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
LH. CO economy is so uncomfortable!

CO economy seats are the absolute worst. Terrible support and cushion. Unless you don't mind lower back pain or you have easy access to a good masseuse, take LH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.