Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 18, 10, 4:05 pm   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, Amtrak Select+, Avis Pref
Posts: 3,153
Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class?

My sister (a 1K) is at Changi about to board UA 896 and is holding a C-class boarding pass. She's being denied access to the Silver Kris Lounge and they're kicking her back to the Premier Lounge. The United check-in agent also gave her some story about how UA has 'stopped paying for SKL access'.

Is this is a change in policy? Last I knew (as of June/July when I last did the trip) you could use the SKL with a C class boarding pass. Just curious...
kv99 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 4:54 pm   #2
  
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Earth
Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 1,517
Wirelessly posted (Android: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Nooooo. I sure hope not!

Are you confident she is trying to get in based on her C BP, and not her 1K card and/or the "invitation" they sometimes give you at check-in?

Sure would be a shame if that benefit went away. The SKL is much better than the other lounges.
Dromomaniac is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 4:57 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 19,935
I was able to access the SQ SilverKris Lounge in SYD with my Y SYD-SFO BP and my * Gold card..
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 5:08 pm   #4
  
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Always on the move
Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Posts: 1,862
I just went into the star alliance website on lounges and typed in the relevant information and it shows SKL is accessible. Looks like I will be bringing a copy/printout of the access rules on my next trip through there.

Anyone going through SIN in the next few weeks to verify this?

Last edited by goingbananas; Oct 18, 10 at 5:10 pm Reason: additional information
goingbananas is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 5:45 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 15,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv99 View Post
My sister (a 1K) is at Changi about to board UA 896 and is holding a C-class boarding pass. She's being denied access to the Silver Kris Lounge and they're kicking her back to the Premier Lounge. The United check-in agent also gave her some story about how UA has 'stopped paying for SKL access'.

Is this is a change in policy? Last I knew (as of June/July when I last did the trip) you could use the SKL with a C class boarding pass. Just curious...
This would be unfortunate if proven to be the new policy.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 6:06 pm   #6
  
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BUR/LAX
Programs: UA 1K/MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 2,444
If I remembered correctly, the invitation UA gives out at the check-in counter is for the regular lounge but I have always been able to get in the SKL with the C boarding pass (last time in May). OP, if your sister was actually refused entry at the SKL, maybe it is a change in policy.
wilp888 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 6:11 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 19,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilp888 View Post
If I remembered correctly, the invitation UA gives out at the check-in counter is for the regular lounge but I have always been able to get in the SKL with the C boarding pass (last time in May). OP, if your sister was actually refused entry at the SKL, maybe it is a change in policy.
+1

FriendlySkies-Dad received a pass for the lounge in LHR, when he flew paid C DEN-LHR..

If it is a change, it seems strange that SQ let me into the lounge with a Y BP and my * Gold card..
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 6:19 pm   #8
  
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
+1

FriendlySkies-Dad received a pass for the lounge in LHR, when he flew paid C DEN-LHR..

If it is a change, it seems strange that SQ let me into the lounge with a Y BP and my * Gold card..
Examples outside of those where this 'incident' occurred really only determine that either there is no system change or that it hasn't been passed down yet. Both are possible, but also possible would be a policy change for SIN station only. Hopefully with the massive number of FTers, we can get another specific example at SIN in the next few days.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 7:35 pm   #9
  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LAX/OXR/BUR/SAN/YYZ/YKF/BUF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,196
I wonder if this could simply be a case of a rogue agent who got stiffed on a non-rev seat or something? There are lots of stories of Senator Lounge dragons telling UA 1Ks and 1Ps that they are supposed to be in the Business Lounge.
N1120A is offline  
Old Oct 18, 10, 7:39 pm   #10
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Vancouver
Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.018MM; SPG Au-197; MR Au-197; PCC Elite+; WS Au-195; WoH Exp
Posts: 46,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
it seems strange that SQ let me into the lounge with a Y BP and my * Gold card..
A C BP gets you into the Business Lounge. A *G card gets you into the *G lounge. For airlines that make a distinction, *G lounges are generally better than Business Lounges.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Oct 19, 10, 4:04 am   #11
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, Amtrak Select+, Avis Pref
Posts: 3,153
Just to be clear my sister is quite knowledgeable about the rules (as they previously existed). SKL was very firm that she had to go to the Premier Lounge (with a C-class boarding pass). She pushed hard on it.

Interestingly there's an inconsistency on the Star Alliance site-the policy says clearly that any Star Business class traveller can enter any Star Business class lounge (which is how SKL is defined), and no exception is stated.

However, if you put in UA Business class on the Star Alliance lounge finder you only get the Premier Lounge. If you put in First Class you get both the Premier lounge and SKL First.
kv99 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 10, 8:08 am   #12
Original Member
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Starwood LT Platinum (former Ambassador), Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,971
Interesting.. the *A Lounge Finder no longer lists SKL in SIN as *A Gold lounges, even though the airport map shows that they are.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Oct 19, 10, 8:14 am   #13
  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Interesting.. the *A Lounge Finder no longer lists SKL in SIN as *A Gold lounges, even though the airport map shows that they are.
I don't believe the SKL (in SIN) was ever a *A Gold lounge. In Changi T2, the *A Gold lounge is the SATS Premier Club, and in Changi T3, the *A Gold lounge is the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge.

Its been that way for a while, even for SQ's fliers:

Quote:
In Singapore, KrisFlyer Elite Gold members departing on Singapore Airlines Economy Class are entitled to use the SATS Premier Club at Terminal 2 and KrisFlyer Gold Lounge at Terminal 3.
tlawrence85 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 10, 9:03 am   #14
  
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 9,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlawrence85 View Post
I don't believe the SKL (in SIN) was ever a *A Gold lounge. In Changi T2, the *A Gold lounge is the SATS Premier Club, and in Changi T3, the *A Gold lounge is the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge.

Its been that way for a while, even for SQ's fliers:
Yes, SIN SKL has never been designated as Star Gold Lounge. Other SKLs are *G, just not the one in SIN.
TerryK is online now  
Old Oct 19, 10, 9:05 am   #15
  
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
Posts: 2,876
I was there (SilverKris lounge at T3 in SIN) Monday, 10/18. Showed my 1K card and my C boarding pass for UA803 to NRT and was admitted, the same as always.
Kurt is offline  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top