FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1138001-change-policy-skl-access-sin-ua-c-class.html)

kv99 Oct 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class?

My sister (a 1K) is at Changi about to board UA 896 and is holding a C-class boarding pass. She's being denied access to the Silver Kris Lounge and they're kicking her back to the Premier Lounge. The United check-in agent also gave her some story about how UA has 'stopped paying for SKL access'.

Is this is a change in policy? Last I knew (as of June/July when I last did the trip) you could use the SKL with a C class boarding pass. Just curious...

Dromomaniac Oct 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Wirelessly posted (Android: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Nooooo. I sure hope not!

Are you confident she is trying to get in based on her C BP, and not her 1K card and/or the "invitation" they sometimes give you at check-in?

Sure would be a shame if that benefit went away. The SKL is much better than the other lounges.

FriendlySkies Oct 18, 2010 4:57 pm

I was able to access the SQ SilverKris Lounge in SYD with my Y SYD-SFO BP and my * Gold card..

goingbananas Oct 18, 2010 5:08 pm

I just went into the star alliance website on lounges and typed in the relevant information and it shows SKL is accessible. Looks like I will be bringing a copy/printout of the access rules on my next trip through there. :confused:

Anyone going through SIN in the next few weeks to verify this?

dsquared37 Oct 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by kv99 (Post 14968405)
My sister (a 1K) is at Changi about to board UA 896 and is holding a C-class boarding pass. She's being denied access to the Silver Kris Lounge and they're kicking her back to the Premier Lounge. The United check-in agent also gave her some story about how UA has 'stopped paying for SKL access'.

Is this is a change in policy? Last I knew (as of June/July when I last did the trip) you could use the SKL with a C class boarding pass. Just curious...

This would be unfortunate if proven to be the new policy.

wilp888 Oct 18, 2010 6:06 pm

If I remembered correctly, the invitation UA gives out at the check-in counter is for the regular lounge but I have always been able to get in the SKL with the C boarding pass (last time in May). OP, if your sister was actually refused entry at the SKL, maybe it is a change in policy.

FriendlySkies Oct 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by wilp888 (Post 14969069)
If I remembered correctly, the invitation UA gives out at the check-in counter is for the regular lounge but I have always been able to get in the SKL with the C boarding pass (last time in May). OP, if your sister was actually refused entry at the SKL, maybe it is a change in policy.

+1

FriendlySkies-Dad received a pass for the lounge in LHR, when he flew paid C DEN-LHR..

If it is a change, it seems strange that SQ let me into the lounge with a Y BP and my * Gold card..

Ripper3785 Oct 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 14969098)
+1

FriendlySkies-Dad received a pass for the lounge in LHR, when he flew paid C DEN-LHR..

If it is a change, it seems strange that SQ let me into the lounge with a Y BP and my * Gold card..

Examples outside of those where this 'incident' occurred really only determine that either there is no system change or that it hasn't been passed down yet. Both are possible, but also possible would be a policy change for SIN station only. Hopefully with the massive number of FTers, we can get another specific example at SIN in the next few days.

N1120A Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

I wonder if this could simply be a case of a rogue agent who got stiffed on a non-rev seat or something? There are lots of stories of Senator Lounge dragons telling UA 1Ks and 1Ps that they are supposed to be in the Business Lounge.

mahasamatman Oct 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 14969098)
it seems strange that SQ let me into the lounge with a Y BP and my * Gold card..

A C BP gets you into the Business Lounge. A *G card gets you into the *G lounge. For airlines that make a distinction, *G lounges are generally better than Business Lounges.

kv99 Oct 19, 2010 4:04 am

Just to be clear my sister is quite knowledgeable about the rules (as they previously existed). SKL was very firm that she had to go to the Premier Lounge (with a C-class boarding pass). She pushed hard on it.

Interestingly there's an inconsistency on the Star Alliance site-the policy says clearly that any Star Business class traveller can enter any Star Business class lounge (which is how SKL is defined), and no exception is stated.

However, if you put in UA Business class on the Star Alliance lounge finder you only get the Premier Lounge. If you put in First Class you get both the Premier lounge and SKL First.

PTahCha Oct 19, 2010 8:08 am

Interesting.. the *A Lounge Finder no longer lists SKL in SIN as *A Gold lounges, even though the airport map shows that they are.

tlawrence85 Oct 19, 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 14972174)
Interesting.. the *A Lounge Finder no longer lists SKL in SIN as *A Gold lounges, even though the airport map shows that they are.

I don't believe the SKL (in SIN) was ever a *A Gold lounge. In Changi T2, the *A Gold lounge is the SATS Premier Club, and in Changi T3, the *A Gold lounge is the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge.

Its been that way for a while, even for SQ's fliers:

In Singapore, KrisFlyer Elite Gold members departing on Singapore Airlines Economy Class are entitled to use the SATS Premier Club at Terminal 2 and KrisFlyer Gold Lounge at Terminal 3.

TerryK Oct 19, 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tlawrence85 (Post 14972212)
I don't believe the SKL (in SIN) was ever a *A Gold lounge. In Changi T2, the *A Gold lounge is the SATS Premier Club, and in Changi T3, the *A Gold lounge is the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge.

Its been that way for a while, even for SQ's fliers:

Yes, SIN SKL has never been designated as Star Gold Lounge. Other SKLs are *G, just not the one in SIN.

Kurt Oct 19, 2010 9:05 am

I was there (SilverKris lounge at T3 in SIN) Monday, 10/18. Showed my 1K card and my C boarding pass for UA803 to NRT and was admitted, the same as always.