Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class?

Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by kv99
Just to be clear my sister is quite knowledgeable about the rules (as they previously existed). SKL was very firm that she had to go to the Premier Lounge (with a C-class boarding pass). She pushed hard on it.
I believe you that she is both "knowledgeable" and that she "pushed hard". I ALSO firmly believe that she was the victim of a MOLA, and NOT of a change in SIN based policy. The SKL in SIN has never, repeat NEVER been a *G lounge.

However, it has always been a lounge into which *A travellers on a premium class BP's can enter. There have, over the years, been many reports by experienced, knowledgable, FTers of this kind of thing having happened. It has not happened to me, but it has to people whom I know.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses NOT zebras. This isn't a change in policy, IMO.
Dave
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold
My understanding was that the SKL in SIN was not designated a *G lounge, but you are given access if you are in business on a *A flight. If you are *G and in economy you are given access to the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveSFO
My understanding was that the SKL in SIN was not designated a *G lounge, but you are given access if you are in business on a *A flight.
Your understanding is CORRECT.
Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
thank you all. just wanted to be sure before i say something to someone at Changi-- which i will do the next time i'm there. i've never actually heard of problems with this policy before- i don't find the SKL matrons the friendliest in the world but they're usually on top of the rules.

anyway, this was a funny trip for my sister.

she flew HKG-SIN and then was turning around and going SIN-HKG-ORD the next morning (we buy B-class fares out of SIN as they're quite a good deal...). anyway, you can have UA pick up and retag the bags while you hang out at the lounge overnight (in her case the premier lounge!!) but this time they forgot to remove the SIN tag from the night before so her bags were loaded on in SIN in the morning but then turned around when they got to HKG and ended up back in SIN that night. needless to say the 1k baggage line was VERY confused about what happened and it took a good 48 hours to sort it out.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
SATS Premier lounge for me also the last two turns through SIN.

I've used the SKL with an SQ *G person travelling with me; to be honest wasn't in there long enough to notice much of a difference. (went in for a bite and a drink and internet access)...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
What was your outbound class of service??
Dave
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kurt
I was there (SilverKris lounge at T3 in SIN) Monday, 10/18. Showed my 1K card and my C boarding pass for UA803 to NRT and was admitted, the same as always.
Your 1K card is not relevant. The only thing they need to see is your BP. You could well be a non-statused pax. So long as you posses a C or F BP you should be gaining access.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NickP 1K

I've used the SKL with an SQ *G person travelling with me; to be honest wasn't in there long enough to notice much of a difference. (went in for a bite and a drink and internet access)...
Hmm. The SKL is bigger, has a better food selection, more things to read and showers & bathrooms in the back. Changi has free wi-fi throughout so if OP has a laptop, the internet is/was everywhere...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Your 1K card is not relevant. The only thing they need to see is your BP. You could well be a non-statused pax. So long as you posses a C or F BP you should be gaining access.
They seem to look at the card and write something down, but maybe they're just being polite!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I was able to access the SQ SilverKris Lounge in SYD with my Y SYD-SFO BP and my * Gold card..
This about SKL access at SIN, which is a special exception to the general rules. Elsewhere SKL is all there is and a *A card generally gets you in. At SIN you get the "premium" lounge or whatever, which is a shadow of the SKL lounge there.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A C BP gets you into the Business Lounge. A *G card gets you into the *G lounge. For airlines that make a distinction, *G lounges are generally better than Business Lounges.
Actually IME that's only true on LH (senator for *G and business for C). In SIN the *G lounge is markedly inferior to the "business" lounge.

Originally Posted by bseller
I believe you that she is both "knowledgeable" and that she "pushed hard". I ALSO firmly believe that she was the victim of a MOLA, and NOT of a change in SIN based policy. The SKL in SIN has never, repeat NEVER been a *G lounge.

However, it has always been a lounge into which *A travellers on a premium class BP's can enter. There have, over the years, been many reports by experienced, knowledgable, FTers of this kind of thing having happened. It has not happened to me, but it has to people whom I know.

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses NOT zebras. This isn't a change in policy, IMO.
Dave
If this reflects policy and not an on-the-spot rule invention, it is absolutely a change in policy. In the past I have gotten into SKL at SIN with a C boarding pass on UA or other *A carriers without question. When in Y with my *G card I have been politely turned away and redirected to the peasant lounge, I mean, ah, "gold" lounge.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boghopper
If this reflects policy and not an on-the-spot rule invention, it is absolutely a change in policy.
We don't disagree. I think, in fairness, that you misinterpreted my post. I simply DONT BELIEVE that it is any type of policy change. I believe there were other explanations.
In the past I have gotten into SKL at SIN with a C boarding pass on UA or other *A carriers without question.
I'm aware of that, as that has always been my experience as well.
When in Y with my *G card I have been politely turned away and redirected to the peasant lounge, I mean, ah, "gold" lounge.
That also is correct, which is why there have been multiple posts on this thread explaining that the SIN SKL is NOT a *G lounge.

Dave
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kurt
I was there (SilverKris lounge at T3 in SIN) Monday, 10/18. Showed my 1K card and my C boarding pass for UA803 to NRT and was admitted, the same as always.
There does seem to be a bit of confusion at SIN, especially from the gate agents. I flew out of SIN - NRT on 10/18 NF. The gate gave me a pass to the premier lounge (*G one) but I just walked to the SKL and was allowed into the FC lounge. This was my fourth trip to the IFL lounge and never a problem, I disregard what the CSR say or the invitation say.

Last year, on C ticket, was sent to *G lounge by agent again but stupidly, I went to the Kris Gold lounge instead and did not go to the SKL in T3.

Before T3 opened, in the old terminal (T2 I believe), I was never able to get into the SKL business lounge, only the premier lounge on *G and NC ticket. Only time I got in was flying a SQ flight in business.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:07 pm

For a quick update on this topic. On November 21 arrived from DPS in economy class on Singapore Airlines, and departed the next morning in Business Class on United to Narita. No problem at all to use the Silver Kris Lounge in both Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:16 pm

As a former SQ PPS Club member, the SKL is not and never has been a Star Alliance Lounge. It's a separate lounge entirely, intended for First/Suites and Business Class Passengers aboard Singapore Airlines Only (and PPS club members)

Star Alliance flyers are usually asked to go to the Krisflyer Gold lounge, which is nice, but not as nice as the SKL.

I am surprised SQ is letting UA pax flying C and F in there. I wouldn't push it.

The rules are clear:

The lounge provides an oasis of calm and respite for PPS Club members and Singapore Airlines customers travelling in Suites, First and Business Class cabins.

Anyone flying NC, NF, C etc on UA metal is not an SQ customer

Last edited by meFIRST; Nov 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbraunthal
For a quick update on this topic. On November 21 arrived from DPS in economy class on Singapore Airlines, and departed the next morning in Business Class on United to Narita. No problem at all to use the Silver Kris Lounge in both Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.
Did you use the lounge on arrival or departure? Has anyone had lounge access on arrival? Are any of the lounges open 24 hrs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.