Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class?

Change in Policy on SKL Access in SIN for UA C class?

Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:37 pm

I have always been allowed into SKL lounge at T3 whenver I flied on United Business. More than 6 times over the last 12 months. The condition is that one needs to have a valid boarding pass (If online checkin is completed but, for some reason, you are issued a document that requires you to see an agent, you may not be accepted though.)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ff100
Did you use the lounge on arrival or departure? Has anyone had lounge access on arrival? Are any of the lounges open 24 hrs?
No lounges in SIN are arrivals lounges (at least not for *A). SKL in T2 and T3 and *G in T3 are open 24hours.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:31 am

As an additional update, the staff at the Silver Kris Lounges did tell me that access to the lounge is available for flying on any Star Alliance airline in either business class or first class. (I also did not yet have my United boarding pass, and this was also no problem).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sbraunthal
As an additional update, the staff at the Silver Kris Lounges did tell me that access to the lounge is available for flying on any Star Alliance airline in either business class or first class. (I also did not yet have my United boarding pass, and this was also no problem).
I have shown a OLCI page on my comp to gain access before the UA transfer desk opens. I always expect to get kicked back to the *G lounge, but never do.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by meFIRST
As a former SQ PPS Club member, the SKL is not and never has been a Star Alliance Lounge.
You are correct that it is not now, nor has it ever been a *G lounge.
It's a separate lounge entirely, intended for First/Suites and Business Class Passengers aboard Singapore Airlines Only (and PPS club members)
Among others, yes.
Star Alliance flyers are usually asked to go to the Krisflyer Gold lounge, which is nice, but not as nice as the SKL.
IF they are flying in Y, that is correct. IF they are in C/F, that is wrong, wrong, wrong.
I am surprised SQ is letting UA pax flying C and F in there. I wouldn't push it.
That is because you are WRONG! The SIN SKL is and always has been available for use by C/F pax on *A carriers.
The lounge provides an oasis of calm and respite for PPS Club members and Singapore Airlines customers travelling in Suites, First and Business Class cabins.
Yes, it does this for SQ pax, AMONG others!!!
Anyone flying NC, NF, C etc on UA metal is not an SQ customer
NO, they are not SQ customers, they are also entitled to access. Please stop spreading false information on FT.
Thanks,
Dave
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:22 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
As a former SQ PPS Club member, the SKL is not and never
has been a Star Alliance Lounge.
Has the SKL been a SQ PPS Club member?

The intended meaning is correct: the new SKL has never been
a Star lounge.

It's a separate lounge entirely, intended for First/Suites and Business Class Passengers aboard Singapore Airlines Only (and PPS club members)
True except for the Only. But that Only turns the post from
true to false in the twinkling of an eye.

Star Alliance flyers are usually asked to go to the Krisflyer Gold lounge, which is nice, but not as nice as the SKL.
How would you know this? Hang around the outside waiting
for Star flyers to be denied entry?

My experience: always been admitted as a *G in C except for
once. On that occasion I was also denied at the KF lounge,
where I was told to use the SKL! I ended up staying at the
KF lounge just to say I'd been: it's not very nice.

I am surprised SQ is letting UA pax flying C and F in there. I wouldn't push it.
Be surprised, then. You don't get out much, do you?

The rules are clear:
The lounge provides an oasis of calm and respite for PPS Club members and Singapore Airlines customers travelling in Suites, First and Business Class cabins.
1. What is posted on a website is not necessarily a set of rules.
2. If it is a set of rules, it is not necessarily a complete set of rules.

The fact that this lounge provides an oasis of calm for some does
not mean that it doesn't do so for others.

In fact you're putting out false information that's based on
a too-narrow reading of what some Internet page says. It would
be nice to put out true information based on experience or
observation.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
As a former SQ PPS Club member, the SKL is not and never has been a Star Alliance Lounge. It's a separate lounge entirely, intended for First/Suites and Business Class Passengers aboard Singapore Airlines Only (and PPS club members)

Untrue in its entirety. It is not a *G lounge but it is a Singapore Airlines Biz lounge and hence accessible with a same day *A Biz BP. And always was.
..The lounge provides an oasis of calm and respite for PPS Club members and [U][I][B]Singapore Airlines customers travelling in Suites, First and Business Class cabins..
That's an add, not the access rule. It doesn't say "our Star Alliance members are excluded from the use of the lounge".
Anyone flying NC, NF, C etc on UA metal is not an SQ customer
Ehm ... that is trivially true. And hence - following that brilliant logic - PPS members in C or F should be denied lounge access in every airport on earth which doesn't host a SilverKris lounge as they are not TG, LH, UA, LX, BD etc etc etc etc customers.

It seems that not only does SQ not get the concept of the Star Alliance, its customers are stricken with the same tunnel vision.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:08 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I think we've all made our point clear to poor old meFirst!

All I know is that when I check in tomorrow at T3 for UA896 bound for HKG, with an onward flight to SFO, (all in C), the friendly SATS check person will hand me my boarding pass and then proceed to handwrite a lounge invitation, at which point I will politely tell him/her that I don't need it as I know where the lounges are...

I have 3 lounge options.

1. Use the United lounge (which is operated by SATS) and has the UA logo out the front for the morning or walk down the hall a little more and
2. Use the KrisFlyer Gold lounge or keep walking down the hall and
3. Use the SKL lounge

Most people use the lounge that they are instructed to use when they check in. Some wiser folks keep walking to the Krisflyer Gold lounge. And the FT'ers with C or F boarding passes keep walking to the SKL lounge.

But what would I know. I only live here...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by eightblack
Most people use the lounge that they are instructed to use when they check in. Some wiser folks keep walking to the Krisflyer Gold lounge. And the FT'ers with C or F boarding passes keep walking to the SKL lounge.
+1 ^
Dave
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by bseller
+1 ^
Dave
Consider yourself lucky. Before Terminal 3 was built, the access policies for the lounge at T2 was a lot more stringent. Back then, there wasn't even a Kris flyer Gold Lounge.

It is not uncommon for a carrier to have a lounge independent of the alliance. Oneworld Emeralds are allowed access to First Class lounges, but British Airways will only admit First Class pax (never emeralds (even though they are entitled) ) into the Concorde Room. If you are an EXP, try to get into the Concorde room with a C boarding pass, you will be turned down. You can only get in with an F boarding pass on British Airways.

And yes, SQ seems to think they are not part of *A (separate topic) - but there is a reason why the Kris Flyer gold lounge was built. It's for the star alliance.

I am not spreading mis information, I am merely suggesting FT's don't push it if they are turned back (and ruining it for others). DYKHIA might end this party.

I'll be back at SIN in a few months, we will see if this trick works.

Since people on NF were allowed in, did SQ let you into the Private Room the the SKL as well? (and the F shower area?)

I hope you understand, that until recently, only Suite passengers were allowed in the Private Room.

And to clarify : We are talking about the Silver Kris Lounge in Singapore, not anywhere else.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Recent experiences in the SIN SKL:

1. TG C boarding pass: Cheerfully admitted after initial confusion by SKL staff that "Royal Silk" was the Thai version of C class.

2. UA C boarding pass printed on TG stock for a flight departing nine hours later: Quickly granted access. I also thought I might try presenting an F boarding pass indicating "Royal First" for an upcoming LAX->SEA UAX flight.

3. Normal UA C boarding pass: Quickly granted access.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:00 pm

It is not uncommon for a carrier to have a lounge independent of the alliance. Oneworld Emeralds are allowed access to First Class lounges, but British Airways will only admit First Class pax (never emeralds (even though they are entitled) ) into the Concorde Room. If you are an EXP, try to get into the Concorde room with a C boarding pass, you will be turned down. You can only get in with an F boarding pass on British Airways.
Really? It appears that even BA Gold members don't gain automatic access. It's not like there's no First Class Lounge option - Galleries First.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Really? It appears that even BA Gold members don't gain automatic access. It's not like there's no First Class Lounge option - Galleries First.
I was trying to make a point - that certain lounges are private, and exclusive to the carrier, and not subject to alliance rules. Access is dependent on carrier + certain class of service.

Concorde room is a great example = BA F only (no BA Gold, and certainly no AA EXP, ever)

Until recently

Private Room = SQ R Class (suites) only. But since the SIN-PPS based people complained, SQ is allowing F pax in there.

It's great that SQ is allowing you folks in. Thread lightly.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Consider yourself lucky. Before Terminal 3 was built, the access policies for the lounge at T2 was a lot more stringent. Back then, there wasn't even a Kris flyer Gold Lounge.

And yes, SQ seems to think they are not part of *A (separate topic) - but there is a reason why the Kris Flyer gold lounge was built. It's for the star alliance.

I'll be back at SIN in a few months, we will see if this trick works.

And to clarify : We are talking about the Silver Kris Lounge in Singapore, not anywhere else.
It's nothing to do with luck. The rules are the rules. You make it sound as if the people who are currently gaining access to the SKL in SIN are doing so "under the radar". There's no trick to it. What happened in the past is irrelevant.

If you hold a C or F boarding pass on a *A carrier, then you are allowed in. Period.

And I'm not sure why you would think SQ didn't think they weren't a part of the *A? The Krisflyer Gold lounge was built to cater for members of Krisflyer who fly mainly Y class. It made sense for them to open access to *A Gold as well.

It's great that SQ is allowing you folks in. Thread lightly.
See note above.

There are 3 lounges in T3 for *A Gold (and given that we're in the United MP thread, that means GS, 1K or 1P) members to use and depending on class of service, they can either use all 3. Or if in Y, they can access 2.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I am not spreading mis information
You are spreading misinformation, whether deliberately or not,
and these posts should be edited or deleted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.