Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

do domestic first class mileage award flight get lounge access at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying first class from south bend indiana to SEA with a 4 hour layover in ORD. I used my mileage to get the flight for free and don't have any Star alliance benefits, etc.

Will I be able to use the first class lounge in ORD for those 4 hours? Thanks

James
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
You won't be able to use the lounge in ORD. Only granted access if you are traveling in F on an international itinerary.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 77ja77
I'm flying first class from south bend indiana to SEA with a 4 hour layover in ORD. I used my mileage to get the flight for free and don't have any Star alliance benefits, etc.

Will I be able to use the first class lounge in ORD for those 4 hours? ....
Domestic only first class -- paid / award / upgrade -- does not include lounge access
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Domestic only first class -- paid / award / upgrade -- does not include lounge access
Thanks for responding. Are there any benefits of flying first class outside of the seating? Do you get free baggage or any other benefit with first class award travel? I've never actually flown first class and would like to know. Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
look on united.com, there's lots of info....you might pick up other helpful benes.....good luck...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Thanks for responding. Are there any benefits of flying first class outside of the seating? Do you get free baggage or any other benefit with first class award travel? I've never actually flown first class and would like to know. Thanks.
You'll be able to use the Premier Access check-in area, with up to three bags checked without a charge. You can also board the plane using the blue/red carpet.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
look on united.com, there's lots of info....you might pick up other helpful benes.....good luck...
I've looked and can't find the section where it lists the benefits of first class travel. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I've looked and can't find the section where it lists the benefits of first class travel. Am I missing something? ....
www.united.com > Services & information > In-flight services > Cabin classes > United First

www.united.com > Reservations & check-in > Baggage > Checked baggage > U.S./Canada checked baggage > U.S./Canada checked baggage fee exceptions
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK*G, AP Prestige, BAEC, Alaska Air MP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold HHonors GOLD VIP, Hyatt GOLD
Originally Posted by mlx52
You won't be able to use the lounge in ORD. Only granted access if you are traveling in F on an international itinerary.
Sorry for jacking this thread, didn't want to start a new thread. How about if I have an International Business Class itinerary? Will I get lounge access in DEN for my F DEN-LAX flight with an onward C on SQ from LAX-NRT?

Thx
A
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by adrian2611
Sorry for jacking this thread, didn't want to start a new thread. How about if I have an International Business Class itinerary? Will I get lounge access in DEN for my F DEN-LAX flight with an onward C on SQ from LAX-NRT?

Thx
A
Technically you are only allowed into the lounge at the point of departure for your international flight. So that would just be in LAX. However, I have seen people in DEN ask and get admitted, but more ofter I see them ask and get denied.

Here are the rules:
  • Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
  • Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
  • Customers must be a revenue customer
  • Customer is not entitled to any guests

Last edited by emanon256; Nov 27, 2011 at 1:12 pm Reason: Added the rules
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by adrian2611

Thx
A
Yes you will.. just be sure to show your onward itin in C.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Unfortunate that paid or award domestic F does NOT get lounge access

I've been an RCC member off and on over the year, depending on my expected travel volume from year to year.

Anyway, I've always thought is pretty crappy that domestic F tickets do not warrant lounge access on most U.S. carriers (Alaska Airlines is one exception of which I am aware; F gets you into their "Board Room"). I guess I'd say that upgrades should not qualify (otherwise 1Ks would have little reason to buy a membership), but a paid or an award F ticket should qualify for access.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I guess I'd say that upgrades should not qualify (otherwise 1Ks would have little reason to buy a membership), but a paid or an award F ticket should qualify for access.
Why would 1Ks have little reason to buy a membership?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Except the p.s. routes, where all C & F passengers DO get lounge access, even on an award or upgrade. :-:
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by emanon256
Why would 1Ks have little reason to buy a membership?
If upgraded F qualified for lounge access, 1Ks would have little reason to buy lounge membership because their upgrade success is very high, so they'd almost always get lounge access via their upgrades . . . and accordingly would be less likely to buy a membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.