Difference between Systemwide and Sweet Spot Upgrades?

Subscribe
I am new to upgrade certs etc, and was wondering if someone can help me out. I know of the Systemwide, Sweet spot, and the Status Global.
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by atsu8 (edited Mar 03, 2004).]
Sweetspots expired 29 Feb 2004 so their value might have approached zero. In theory 2003 paper SWU's and 2004 e-SWU's are more or less equivalent to Sweetspots.
Since all (ok most) Sweetspots expired on 2/29/04, I would pretty much say they are worthless now.
Sweetspot SWU's were worth quite a bit when they came out as they were good on the deeply discounted fares (all the way down to S IIRC), while the 2003 SWU's were good on H+ fares. However when the 2004 SWU's came out the value of Sweet Spots declined if you ask me since the 2004's are good on the W fares. For the most part Sweet Spot SWU's expired on February 29, 2004.

[This message has been edited by kluau88 (edited Mar 03, 2004).]
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by atsu8:
I am new to upgrade certs etc, and was wondering if someone can help me out. Which is worth more?
Thanks.
</font>
Sweet Spots expired on Sadie Hawkins Day!!
(2-29-2004) Value---0!
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In theory 2003 paper SWU's and 2004 e-SWU's are more or less equivalent to Sweetspots.</font>
I'd disagree with that "more or less equal" generalization. Sweet Spots were valid to Region 2 (International) on L, S and Ts. Revised 2003s and the new 2004s are not. And that's a big difference, IMHO.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kluau88:
However when the 2004 SWU's came out their value declined if you ask me since the 2004's are good on the W fares.</font>
Kev, disagree. Their value went UP for those of us redeeming them since we can use them again on W fares, although the revenue to UA might decline since they're now valid at the same fares as SWU 2002's which included W. To me, UA just rolled back to 2002.

------------------
Sharon
Per the 1k website, 2004 SWU's are not valid on Q fares for Region 2.

Is that correct? Why V and W but not Q?

Yeah, ok, "because they say so", but I mean in relation to the relative prices of these discounted fares, I don't get it.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mahjongguy:
Per the 1k website, 2004 SWU's are not valid on Q fares for Region 2.

Is that correct? Why V and W but not Q?

Yeah, ok, "because they say so", but I mean in relation to the relative prices of these discounted fares, I don't get it.
</font>

Typo? They work just fine to region 2 in Q.

[This message has been edited by braslvr (edited Mar 03, 2004).]
Ok, thx, I was hoping it was a typo.

Here's the text:

"2004 SWUs are eligible in Region 1 (North America, Hawaii, Caribbean, Central America) from C, D, Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, K and L booking classes, and in Region 2 (South America, Europe, North/South Asia, Japan, Australia) from C, D, Y, B, E, M, U, H, V and W booking classes"

E? U? What the...?

This is actually from MyMileagePlus.com
Maybe I just have 9 lives, but in general I would say luck has been with me with most of the airlines especially if elite using expired upgrades. Especially if the cert just expired. I think my record is using and upgrade expired about 5 years. I never throw away airline upgrade coupons. A few years ago though a friend told me that she tried to use an expired upgrade, and they wripped it up. I believe that was UA in SFO.