Wiki Posts
Search

Refaring question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: exUA, WN
Refaring question

So I book tickets between A & B (pair witheld by paranoia) and the fare's about $200 each (x3 L class). Notice a couple of weeks later and the fare's down to $180 each (cheapest shown on .bomb). $60 makes it worth a re-fare which works online and I get the credits to my visa. (yes they showed up)

So today I notice the outbound's down to $50 and the return is higher. ($200 total) Curious to see how .bomb's refare handles that I try a re-fare. And it spits out $110 each.

Uhh... Ok. Sure. Send me the money.

The flights were L0 when I tried.

Flights are all still in my itins, everything looks ok.

So what's the other shoe that's going to drop? Seems too good, and that makes me nervous. If the worst case is I never see the credit, fine, no big deal.

Are re-fares based on the published fairs even if 0 are available?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
You're fine. You already own the L seats. If the lower fare were of a different fare class, say T, then T would have to be available in order for you to be rebooked into that.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bentruler
Yes, but only online. If you had called for the refare, they would not have been able to do it because they can only refare to something bookable (i.e., there must be inventory). This is one case where it's better to do something online than over the phone.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
So if I read that correctly you re-fared to $180 each, then the second refare it gave back $110 each so really you ended up only paying $70 for each ticket Wow, that's pretty hilarious, once you're all done you will have to share the city pairs on that one
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Further re-faring questions....

1. You can re-fare anytime (not just the day of purchase)?

2. If so, the credits come to the card used, not in the form of vouchers?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 2K, BD Gold, DL/NW Gold, SPG Plat, MRW Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LessO2

1. Yes, any time.

2. Lately it's been going to the credit card, but in the past the only option has been vouchers.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
the credits come to the card used, not in the form of vouchers?
As far as I know, only if you do it online. Phone refares are still getting vouchers.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As far as I know, only if you do it online. Phone refares are still getting vouchers.
That was my impression as well, but I recently refared a trip over the phone (domestic if it matters), and although the 1K desk told me I would get a voucher it instead showed up as a credit on the CC.

Mind you, this particular agent was not what I would call terribly with it, so might have been a screw up on his part.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ndot

1. Yes, any time.

2. Lately it's been going to the credit card, but in the past the only option has been vouchers.
i always was under the impression that you could not re-fare during the first 24 hours after purchase as that is also the 24 hour cancellation policy window-just learned something-thanks ^
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
My issue with refaring online

Originally Posted by bentruler
So I book tickets between A & B (pair witheld by paranoia) and the fare's about $200 each (x3 L class). Notice a couple of weeks later and the fare's down to $180 each (cheapest shown on .bomb). $60 makes it worth a re-fare which works online and I get the credits to my visa. (yes they showed up)

So today I notice the outbound's down to $50 and the return is higher. ($200 total) Curious to see how .bomb's refare handles that I try a re-fare. And it spits out $110 each.

Uhh... Ok. Sure. Send me the money.

The flights were L0 when I tried.

Flights are all still in my itins, everything looks ok.

So what's the other shoe that's going to drop? Seems too good, and that makes me nervous. If the worst case is I never see the credit, fine, no big deal.

is that the vouchers are never sent to me. I have to call and have them reissued - which is fine because they get reissued under the new date so I have longer to use them. But I have NEVER had one automatically sent.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
One possible city I can think of that the fare would have dropped this low today

(or in recent days)
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
One possible city I can think of that the fare would have dropped this low today
Crawford, TX?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How do I refare online? I've only refared by phone (thus receiving vouchers), and I didn't even know I could refare online. I love learning new things here, thanks everyone!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Go into "My Itineraries". Select "View/Modify" then click "Change Reservation". You'll get an option at that point to check the fare. It's a little counter-intuitive. Welcome to .bomb
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jcasner
You'll get an option at that point to check the fare.
Sometimes. If you've made any changes at all to your original itinerary (including equipment and schedule changes made by UA), this option will not be available. Actually, in those cases, even the "Change Reservation" link won't get you anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.