Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optathlon Game on United's Website

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Not sure what to do with all these 10% off certs.
This guy has sold several UA 10% off e-certs in the past few days on eBay for $19.99 each, as soon as one sells they immediately list a new one.

That being said I wouldn't recommend doing this.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pmd62ndst
ugh, my top 10 linejump score is now barely top 100. If I don't score 2000 ft on the first jump, I restart the game.
Yeah, that top 10 is hard to crack. I wonder how much luck (guessing a lot) is necessary to score well. I was about to restart after a 1500 foot first round, missed a lot of the arrows so was going slow... at about 120ft almost touched the ground then boom, rocket, rocket, rocket... ended up at 3800ft. Score got me to #34 on the list.

I've played about 50 times over the past week and no 10% e-certs... boo-urns!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:06 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
finally got a 10% coupon and also, finally got a worthwhile jump cracked the top 10!! #6 last I checked
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
so for those who have won a 10% off certificate, did you have a good score? or is score irrelevant?

still none for me
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mikel51
so for those who have won a 10% off certificate, did you have a good score? or is score irrelevant?
I am fairly certain you don't need a good score. I have two certs and I don't play for high scores.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by yanxfann
This guy has sold several UA 10% off e-certs in the past few days on eBay for $19.99 each, as soon as one sells they immediately list a new one.

That being said I wouldn't recommend doing this.
I totally agree.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:55 am

I WON!

Hey, so I just won the e-certificate of 10% by playing Optathlon.

I am not in US right now, so I am not a resident of US apparently. I will be in US by next month. Firstly, by 'resident', I can be a non-US passport holder (but 'reside' in US) and still get the award right?

So how and when can I use this 10% e-certificate? What is the validity?

Anything else?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:02 am

I can't speak as to the residency issues.

As for the rest, you can look at the T and C of the certificate (should be a link in the e-mail you got). Generally, use for travel in the US, must be on UA/UAX metal, applicable to any published fare (including C/F). Seems pretty easy to use, from what I've seen so far (haven't booked any travel with it, but been looking at some itineraries with it).
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1.78MM, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by federernadal
I am not in US right now, so I am not a resident of US apparently. I will be in US by next month. Firstly, by 'resident', I can be a non-US passport holder (but 'reside' in US) and still get the award right?
I would consider you a "resident" (or not) based on your MP address. It seems to me other stuff is based on your MP address also, for example, Elite Choice.

Oops, forgot to congratulate the OP for winning! Congrats!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 31, 2010 at 7:29 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I can't speak as to the residency issues.

As for the rest, you can look at the T and C of the certificate (should be a link in the e-mail you got). Generally, use for travel in the US, must be on UA/UAX metal, applicable to any published fare (including C/F). Seems pretty easy to use, from what I've seen so far (haven't booked any travel with it, but been looking at some itineraries with it).
Hey thanks!

I will be travelling this August from Asia to the US. Now, I have already booked the ticket and got the ticket. Is there anyway to get a refund of 10% using this e-certificate? If not, can I use this 10% as an upgrade in the domestic sector once I'm in US?

If not, I doubt I will be travelling United by this December (the validity date).

So what other way can I use this award? Restaurants? Anything else?

Originally Posted by TradingFiend
Oops, forgot to congratulate the OP for winning! Congrats!
Hey thanks man!!

Could you help me with the remaining queries I posted above your post (i figured we posted at the same time so you might have missed it)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 31, 2010 at 7:30 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
There is no way to get 10% off retroactively.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Hey thanks!

I will be travelling this August from Asia to the US. Now, I have already booked the ticket and got the ticket. Is there anyway to get a refund of 10% using this e-certificate? If not, can I use this 10% as an upgrade in the domestic sector once I'm in US?

If not, I doubt I will be travelling United by this December (the validity date).

So what other way can I use this award? Restaurants? Anything else?
The answer to your questions is NO and NO.

Once again, as already suggested, READ the Terms & Conditions of the e-cert!!!

In general, these e-certs do not permit retroactive discounts on already-booked itineraries, nor are they good for upgrades.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1.78MM, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Hey thanks man!!

Could you help me with the remaining queries I posted above your post (i figured we posted at the same time so you might have missed it)
I have to admit I'm not familiar with the T&C for the Optathlon prizes.

However, a typical 10% e-cert won't work for restaurants, merchandise, or other non-flying items. The only variation I've seen on those e-certs is that some of them will honor the discount on a traveling companion when that person is booked on the same PNR.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
According to the T&C of the Optathlon game itself (as opposed to the T&C of the 10% off e-cert ):

...Instant winners can choose either an (1) Economy Plus upgrade (if they are in-airport, they must show winning screen on their phone to a United gate agent, who will upgrade their ticket) (ARV=$9 to $109), (2) a Premier Line upgrade (same as above) (ARV=$19-$49), (3) a Red Carpet Club one-time pass (same as above except this will have an 15 digit code which the winner must also show to a Red Carpet Club agent for access to club) (ARV=$39-$50), or (4) an e-certificate discount, which will be emailed to the winner.
http://www.optathlon.com/?links=uct

I gather that the OP has already selected the e-cert as the prize. Or?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
According to the T&C of the Optathlon game itself (as opposed to the T&C of the 10% off e-cert ):

http://www.optathlon.com/?links=uct

I gather that the OP has already selected the e-cert as the prize. Or?
Thanks Kathy for the reply.

Nope, there was no option to select. They just asked my email, name. And sent me a long e-certificate via email. Its up to me what I do with it now. But I don't have much of a clue what I can do with it yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.