Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel Itinerary with E-Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Ritz Carlton Plat, Hyatt Diamond, DL Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle
refund e-cert within 24 hours?

Total UAL newbie here, bear with me.

Buying a ticket for my little sister-in-law to get to summer camp. Used a $100 e-cert which I acquired via means I won't get into on this thread ;-). I bought it last night, and now see that a better time is available for the same cost.

I went to united.com, and it appears that I can't change the ticket for free within 24 hours, I can only cancel it. But it's not clear whether I lose the e-cert if I cancel the original ticket.

Does anybody know the answer to this?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emoney1978
it's not clear whether I lose the e-cert if I cancel the original ticket.
Unfortunately, yes. Once it's used, it's gone forever.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
CHANGES/REFUNDS:

The rules of the fare you purchase determine what changes or refunds are allowed. Any refund due is based on the amount actually paid. The electronic certificate discount may not be reapplied toward the purchase of another ticket when exchanging or refunding your original ticket, except when the original ticket qualifies for a reduced fare (guaranteed airfare rule applies). Check with United Airlines.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Unfortunately, you will not see your e-cert again. If the flight is on the same day consider same day standby for that flight. Just do OLCI early and ask for a standby.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
You could try calling Web Support, explaining the situation, and asking if they can change your flight and re-apply the cert to the new itinerary. Make sure you explain you are within the 24-hour period and "would have booked" the other flight had you known it was available. It's highly unlikely but it could, in principle, work. They've done it for me the one time I had this problem about 18 months ago (although it wasn't my mistake - the website actually booked me on a different flight than what I had originally selected - so maybe that's why).
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Got a replacement e-cert

I booked a ticket with a 10% off e-cert, then needed to cancel it within the 24-hour period but didn't have the new dates yet. Based on a comment in another thread that someone was successful getting a new cert good for three days, I called web support. Told the CS rep I needed to cancel that ticket and rebook it in a few days and asked if there was any way to get my 10% e-cert back. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back to tell me she could give me a new cert. The new one is good for a year. I got the old one a couple of months ago and it expired 5/31. So I came out ahead in this deal!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:47 am

I purchased a fare ealier this week and used a $200 e-cert. The fare went down 12 hours later by $100. It took a few calles to web customer service and quite a bit of time on hold, but they eventually sent me a travel voucher for the $100 difference. I would just keep calling them and seee if they will eventually cancel your ticket and issue you a new e-cert. Have them try to do both at teh same time. Just be very nice on the phone.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:40 am

I was not successful when I had to cancel a ticket w/an e-cert. Got the refund of what I paid, but the cert was gone forever. Called a few times and was told no, and I gave up.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Interesting - I just used a 20% off cert today, and in all the kerfuffle with Web Support to get it to work, I forgot to ask to book a "direct" international flight as separate segments. Wouldn't you know it, the international portion is NC1, the domestic is of course NC/NF=0, on an A319 (short flight, but you see where I'm going with this). I wasn't going to bother as I thought I'd lose the value of the cert (about $200), but now this has got me thinking...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by ckaught78
I purchased a fare ealier this week and used a $200 e-cert. The fare went down 12 hours later by $100. It took a few calles to web customer service and quite a bit of time on hold, but they eventually sent me a travel voucher for the $100 difference. I would just keep calling them and seee if they will eventually cancel your ticket and issue you a new e-cert. Have them try to do both at teh same time. Just be very nice on the phone.
If it is within 24-hour since ticketing, I think you are supposed to get a bonus $100 e-cert plus the price difference. Sounds like you were missing the bonus e-cert and just got the price difference refund!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Cancel Itinerary with E-Certificate

Just out of curiosity, if I book an itinerary with an eCertificate and cancel it within 24 hours, do I get the eCert back?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm Reason: already existing thread on this topic
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I don't think so.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Just out of curiosity, if I book an itinerary with an eCertificate and cancel it within 24 hours, do I get the eCert back?
Your cert goes *poof*. You can beg CSR for a new cert and they'll probably give you one freebie out of sympathy, but don't be surprised if it's of lower value than the one you had.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This really is a customer-unfriendly policy. Essentially the 24-hour refund policy does not apply when using e-certs since you don't get everything back.

Perhaps a DOT complaint is in order whenever someone is in such a situation.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by channa
Essentially the 24-hour refund policy does not apply when using e-certs since you don't get everything back.
This is fairly standard in all industries I can think of. If you use a coupon at a department store and return the product, I've never heard of getting your coupon back either. The 24-hour refund is not an annulment, it's a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.