Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Using a 1-person eCert for a 2-person itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Trying to book two tickets SEA-SFO-SEA in June using a $250 eCert that I have leftover. Thinking I could book them on one PNR using the eCert (so I could have UDU kick in) but the site rejects the eCert as only usable on a 1-person itinerary. This makes sense since the Maximum Passengers per Itinerary is 1 per the eCert (I just looked after getting the error message).

I have a separate eCert so I could book two separate PNRs but then my GM companion wouldn't get UDU and I'd have to play the "link the PNRs" game even to get E+ access for her.

Any thoughts on how to get a decent seat? I guess I could buy the flights outright without using eCerts...
Old May 5, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K , AA PLAT, Marriott Platinum
I dont think there is much option here as the e-certs only work for 1 pax... the other option is maybe to use CR1, depends on your situation....
Old May 5, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Just save the cert for another flight that you'll be traveling alone on.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ash_79
I dont think there is much option here as the e-certs only work for 1 pax... the other option is maybe to use CR1, depends on your situation....
Hmmm... since UDU I do have CR-1s out the wazoo, so I might do that; just rough to waste on SEA-SFO

Thankfully I realized before booking that the weekend I was considering going is the start of the World Cup... otherwise those eCerts would have goon *poof*
Old May 5, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Just save the cert for another flight that you'll be traveling alone on.
+1 but be sure to make yourself a note so you don't forget about them. Have had it happen too often myself.
Old May 5, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
+1 but be sure to make yourself a note so you don't forget about them. Have had it happen too often myself.
Keep all of my eCerts in my mileage tracking spreadsheet (which is quickly approaching 1MB ). I shouldn't have them expire.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any success of late using 1 Ecert 2 pax?

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Trying to book two tickets SEA-SFO-SEA in June using a $250 eCert that I have leftover. Thinking I could book them on one PNR using the eCert (so I could have UDU kick in) but the site rejects the eCert as only usable on a 1-person itinerary. This makes sense since the Maximum Passengers per Itinerary is 1 per the eCert (I just looked after getting the error message).

I have a separate eCert so I could book two separate PNRs but then my GM companion wouldn't get UDU and I'd have to play the "link the PNRs" game even to get E+ access for her.

Any thoughts on how to get a decent seat? I guess I could buy the flights outright without using eCerts...
I have a Pre Merger UA Ecert in the amount of $500 want to use it for a 2 pax itinerary. Called Web Support and no go. any thoughts. Looks like they are very strick with this.. Thanks and Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.