Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How do I get a receipt for e-ticket purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I want to buy an economy ticket on United.com and then upgrade (i.e. pay the difference) to a business class ticket.

My company will reimburse me for the cost of the economy ticket, I'm paying for the upgrade myself.

I need a receipt of the cost of the economy ticket.

How can I get this receipt if I buy the ticket on united.com?

In the past, I don't remember getting a receipt when I've purchased tickets on United.com and I think that if I get a receipt at the airport, it would be for the business class ticket cost.

Thanks,
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
From "My itineraries" page in UAL.com , "View/Modify" itinerary, "View e-Receipt", and then print "E-Ticket Receipt"
Also you call and request them to e-mail you a receipt
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If you are purchasing your ticket from united.com, you will receive an email confirmation after clicking on "purchase itinerary". This email will have your flight info and price paid..
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:42 pm

If you want a formal receipt, you can call United and they will mail it to you.

Originally Posted by BillyIdol
I want to buy an economy ticket on United.com and then upgrade (i.e. pay the difference) to a business class ticket.

My company will reimburse me for the cost of the economy ticket, I'm paying for the upgrade myself.

In the past, I don't remember getting a receipt when I've purchased tickets on United.com and I think that if I get a receipt at the airport, it would be for the business class ticket cost.

Thanks,
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
I've gotten them from Mr. Chicken before...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If you are purchasing your ticket from united.com, you will receive an email confirmation after clicking on "purchase itinerary". This email will have your flight info and price paid..
In addition to an email from UA, a hard copy is also sent in regular mail.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
not in my recent experience.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold

Are you buying Y and upgrading for cash (or miles & cash), or just trying to get a C (D,Z) and have the company cover the amount of coach? If the former, the receipt the chicken gives will be for the coach ticket.

If the latter, I think you will incur a change fee if you move a PNR from (nonrefundable) Y to C (yeah...). I have the most conservative, paranoid accounting office on earth, and they have been OK with me printing out a quote from .bomb/orbitz/expedia for the itinerary they would cover for work travel, and turning in a real receipt for a larger amount that accomplished the same thing (and my other goals) and asking for the amount of the allowable quote.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PVDProf
...or just trying to get a C (D,Z) and have the company cover the amount of coach?
This is how I understand the OP. One can also buy the economy ticket, print the receipt, then cancel within 24 hours and buy the business class ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I haven't seen a hard copy of a receipt in I don't know how many years. The only hard copy anything UA has sent me in relation to a ticket is if I have to switch a flight due to irrops on the day of departure. About two weeks after travel is compete, I'll get a hard copy of the new itinerary in the mail.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I recently got an e-mail receipt as well as a hard copy through US Mail. I didn't request the hard copy. It was an international itinerary though, don't know if that made the difference, but you should still be able to get a "real" receipt.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:19 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Thanks,
as others have noted, print your e-rectp from the link in "my itineraries" but to show your employer the "true y" recpt, print the e-rcpt as soon as you make the reservation/the reservation is made for you and then apply for the upgrade as once you apply the u/g, the u/g will also show on your e-recpt.

n.b. your profile doesn't say if you have any status with ua but if you do and this is a domestic 3 cabin flight (or has a domestic leg of an international flight), you will be automatically put in for an u/g under the udu program prior to submitting a supported u/g request and the u/g request will show on the original "y" e-recpt

Last edited by goalie; Apr 27, 2010 at 9:25 am Reason: added "n.b." info
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
The receipt you are looking for is best obtained from any airpoprt agent. It's printed on actual ticket stock and shows the original booking class -- not upgrades -- so it doesn't matter when you request it during the one-year life of the ticket.

Receipts are usually sent by regular mail only when a ticket is reissued manually by DTWRR because of changes.

Also keep in mind that the automatic receipt you get by e-mail when you issue a ticket online doesn't contain a ticket number.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Nicholas
The receipt you are looking for is best obtained from any airpoprt agent. It's printed on actual ticket stock and shows the original booking class -- not upgrades -- so it doesn't matter when you request it during the one-year life of the ticket.

Receipts are usually sent by regular mail only when a ticket is reissued manually by DTWRR because of changes.

Also keep in mind that the automatic receipt you get by e-mail when you issue a ticket online doesn't contain a ticket number.
Sure it does. I just booked a big trip today and it has the ticket number in the Review section. It is next to my M+ #
Old Apr 27, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Comparing 'old' e-mail confirmations and 'new' ones, since the web site 'enhancement', the new ones have the ticket number where the old ones, like from a few months ago, didn't, and look much more 'receipt-like' than before.

The OP can always hold an itinerary, where the confirmation looks like the old ones, and print it off and solicit an opinion regarding acceptance from his employer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.