Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UAL upgrade success/failure tracking website [Please use Website for Posting Results]

UAL upgrade success/failure tracking website [Please use Website for Posting Results]

Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

Getting a head start on 3/19/10:

Thought it might be interesting to put together some stats so we all kinda know what our experiences are in getting upgraded with UDU -- or not.

Goto http://www.udustats.com to post your results. There is a link in the top right to add new data. You can also search using either the home page or the search page. I'll be using that info to update the graphs and will continue to post them here.

This info might help everyone figure out where they might run into more competition and where their chances are better.

Moderator note: Please limit this thread to list the summary information above.

To help reduce the workload for IADLayover and avsfan273, please follow the instructions above to post your UDU results directly into the website and do not post them in this thread anymore. This will eliminate the need for them to manually add other members' information into the database.

This linked thread is available to discuss UDU policies, issues, problems, etc
. Thanks! United Forum Moderator team.

This will be posted at the end of the thread as well

Last edited by IADLayover; May 9, 2010 at 1:58 am Reason: OP simplified categories for data and moderator added clarifications and reminder as to ltd. thread purpose. Stats added
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: 1K MM
Great, I've been waiting for this thread. There will be some confusion in this first weekend, until all the dust settles from the switch over. For example, can you tell if the upgrade cleared on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday flight because of old 500 certs, or because of the new UDU's?

Or are we just starting with those on the other side of this window of confusion?

I have a whole bunch of flights in the next week, so I'll post as it unfolds.

All the suspense... it's like opening presents as a kid.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
I think anything after 19Mar2010 would be relevant (as long as we're not counting confirmed upgrades). That's when UDUs will officially become a factor as far as competition is concerned. Even if you clear with e500 somehow, I think UDUs still play into your odds.

Please post both e500 and UDU after 19Mar2010.

Last edited by IADLayover; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:38 am Reason: added last sentence requesting e500 info as well
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
YAY I was 1st!!!!!

YAY called the 1K desk and they said I was the 1st to be upgraded using UDU (1st she had heard of)

Bad thing, airport check in only according to the rep.

Elite status: 1K hubby PremEx
Routing: YYZ-IAD-LAS
Day of week/Date/Time of day: Friday/ 3-19-10 / 4:39 pm, 7 pm
Plane type: E170, 757
When cleared: 12:01 pm 3-19-10
Booking code: W
How many still on gate monitor w/l when remaining F seats zeroed out. TBD

Last edited by debua1k; Mar 19, 2010 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
12:22AM - trying to UDU... FAIL

- I go to check-in online
- Before i can check-in, I need to "select upgrade type"
- only lets me select 6 e-500s, even though I have 0
- not showing miles, SWUs, or CR-1s, even though I have all of those
- there's a note that says "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades now available for Elite members"
- I click that note - it takes me to a link to buy e-500s. FANTASTIC! (sarcasm)

So... this sucks. i've been on the phone w/ UA a few times today. Not a single agent I spoke to had any clue what to do. TERRIBLE change management from a corporate perspective. They did transfer me to web support once. Web support told me they "fixed" the issue for me. Turns out what they meant by "fixed" was removing me from the upgrade list. I had to call again to get myself back on.

Is anyone having better results than I am? I really want this BOS-SFO segment to clear for me, but my hopes are waning....

Update: here is a link to my blog post about the saga.

Last edited by hungarianhc; Mar 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm Reason: Added blog post link
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:32 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Allegedly, the change to the computer system can take up to 24 hours, so in theory, we may have to manually do it for the first day. (after all, there are 24 time zones, and what is midnight in BOS is only 11PM in Chicago, 10 in DEN, 9 in LAX...)

Every CS agent I know has been briefed on the 1st 24 hours thing not going to go smoothly.

Most of our computers default time (from the programming side) is set to Zulu, which obviously passed prior to BOS time, so the anticipated lack of ability is as expected.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA *G
Same exact issue; and I'm trying to standby for a later departure, which just complicates things! Any resolution yet? Or is this our punishment for being bad customers and trying to jump the queue?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
GAH! I almost got it to work! It said complimentary check-in, and it let me go all the way to the last step of declining the award accelerator, and then i got a check-in error. I updated my blog post a few posts up w/ a pic of the new-and-improved message.

Last edited by hungarianhc; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm Reason: Added pic
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:56 pm

I fly LAX-SEA tomorrow night (Friday) at 9.22pm.
I am Premiere Exec.
My "complimemtary" upgrade cleared 72 hours out - on Tuesday night.
I just went to check in and I got a "congratulations you have a complimentary upgrade" type message.

As I said I am Premier Exec and the planes between LAX and SEA are actually small United Express Canadair Regional Jets - so I am a bit surprised - but happy - to get the upgrade!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Elite status: 1K
Routing: ORD-DEN
Day of week/Date/Time of day: FRI/Mar19/15:20
Plane type: 777
When cleared: THR/Mar18/AM
Booking code: T
How many still on gate monitor w/l when remaining F seats zeroed out. 69 on the upgrade list when last seat was filled.

I was on the upgrade list with e500s prior to UDU being announced to start on March 19. Still 7 seats in F as of Mar19/12AM.

Last edited by ORDFlyer33; Mar 19, 2010 at 11:06 pm
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA *G
http://i43.tinypic.com/fkw1kz.jpg

Getting this message now, although I am *not* full-fare! We're getting closer..
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, National Exec
Elite status: 2P
Routing: IAD-ORD
Day of week/Date/Time of day: SAT/Mar20/09:27
Plane type: 777
When cleared: FRI/Mar19/1:00AM
Booking code: L

^
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: UAL Premier Executive
UDU working

Hey, just thought I would share my experience.

I'm a Premier Exec flying from Charlotte to Chicago, was not listed as automatic when I checked in. But at the gate I asked the agents about the upgrade policy, they made the request and I was moved to United First.

They also said that it's still new for gate agents, so if you don't have anything in your account indicating an upgrade, ask at the gate.

Alright, bloody mary time.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Has anyone yet noticed any changes in their itineraries? I just logged into my account, and my upcoming itineraries do not yet show "upgrade pending" as I would have expected.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Mar 19, 2010 at 6:33 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Data point

Checked in just now (05:45) for my 07:50 departure SFO-IAD.

Moved from Z to F automatically. Hoo-freakin-ray! Z fares are finally good for an upgrade!

So UDU works for biz->F as well. I was wondering if it was only for Y->C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.