Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions About Upgrading a Lufthansa Codeshare Flight Operated by United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold

is this true? I told her I have a flight from FRA to SFO in March. booked on LH but UA metal. She said I could not even upgrade the day of the flight?

is this true?
sounds not very true to me
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: United GS, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bharucfd
is this true? I told her I have a flight from FRA to SFO in March. booked on LH but UA metal. She said I could not even upgrade the day of the flight?

is this true?
sounds not very true to me
I think we will need some more information here. How do you plan to upgrade? Miles? From M&M or LH FF program? Who issued the ticket? (LH or UA)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:31 am
Original Poster

ah sorry.

i booked the flight on lufthansa issued the ticket. i was planning on upgrading with a SWU
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
I think intl codeshares on UA metal can only be upgraded at the gate, and on a qualifying fare for your swu to work. I am having the same issue with domestic US codeshare on UA metal.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
What the CS said is a very good approximation to the truth.

You will not be able to upgrade neither with UA nor LH instruments ahead of time and only on the day of departure, you will be able to submit a request to be upgraded with the instruments of the operating carrier, if the agents of the operating carrier can figure out what transscribed fare base you have on your alien ticket.

Condensed in human language: codeshares and upgrade do not mix. Sure it can work in exotic cases but it's unlikely.
..i booked the flight on lufthansa issued the ticket. i was planning on upgrading with a SWU
The ticket stock is entirely irrelevant. What really counts is that the is issued under the operating carriers code. This makes life 100x easier.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I think intl codeshares on UA metal can only be upgraded at the gate, and on a qualifying fare for your swu to work. I am having the same issue with domestic US codeshare on UA metal.
Did this last week. CO ticket on UA metal, was able to upgraded at the gate using a SWU. Remember, as stated above, it will only work with a qualifying fare.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Did this last week. CO ticket on UA metal, was able to upgraded at the gate using a SWU. Remember, as stated above, it will only work with a qualifying fare.
Again, the ticket doesn't matter. The code of the flight of the flight is what's important.

- CO code on UA metal, upgrade at gate/checkin at the airport.
- UA code, UA metal, upgrade whenever. The ticket could be issued by UA, CO, even AA. Doesn't matter.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Moreover, FRA/SFO is a very hard upgrade to score, even in advance. The chances of you clearing day-of, presuming you can get the agents to even put you on the list, are not good.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Yes it can be done but it's a PITA. Done this 2x in 2008 and 2009 w/ my wife in tow. The flight was coded to BMI, and they would not process till check in and gate. Thankfully they all cleared. SFO-LHR vv.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:58 am
Original Poster

ive never had a problem clearning this flight however its always been on a UA flight.

I suppose its based on LH's booking class and not UA's right?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
The key to UG on a code share ticket on UA metal is the moment when the rez shows as a UA flt number. It seems my experience is that this has been as early as 24hrs out. Once the record shows a UA flt number, an UG is possible, or at least getting in line for the UG. I know for a fact that pulled an UG on a BMI code share (UA metal) at least 1 day before flt. I would not routinely wait until the gate.....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
ive never had a problem clearning this flight however its always been on a UA flight.

I suppose its based on LH's booking class and not UA's right?..
UA and LH have a lot of identical fare buckets on the TATL flights which makes the process somewhat easier. On LH W is a nonupgradable fare and on UA Z is one and this will haunt you when you try to standby upgrade one of them.

Also on UA U does not exist and on LH J doesn't. There have been numerous reports on upgrade failures on U fares on LH. J in all likelihood will not be issued as a codeshare fare so it should not cause any problems.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Any hope for 2P using miles on UA metal BD codeshare?

Originally Posted by nzpilot
The key to UG on a code share ticket on UA metal is the moment when the rez shows as a UA flt number. It seems my experience is that this has been as early as 24hrs out. Once the record shows a UA flt number, an UG is possible, or at least getting in line for the UG. I know for a fact that pulled an UG on a BMI code share (UA metal) at least 1 day before flt. I would not routinely wait until the gate.....
Hello,

Your post gives me hope that I *may* be able to upgrade. I don't have any SWUs but have enough miles and copay to upgrade. I purchased tickets on UA metal as a BD codeshare SFO-LHR rt and called UA reservations to get seats in E+ and get waitlisted for an upgrade. I got the E+ seats based on my Premier status, but the agent told me that I was ineligible for the upgrade based on booking the codeshare flight versus the true UA flight. Do you think I will be able to upgrade 24 hours in advance using miles + copay when the reservation shows a UA flight?

Many thanks,

misterfuss
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by misterfuss
...Your post gives me hope that I *may* be able to upgrade. I don't have any SWUs but have enough miles and copay to upgrade. I purchased tickets on UA metal as a BD codeshare SFO-LHR rt and called UA reservations to get seats in E+ and get waitlisted for an upgrade. I got the E+ seats based on my Premier status, but the agent told me that I was ineligible for the upgrade based on booking the codeshare flight versus the true UA flight. Do you think I will be able to upgrade 24 hours in advance using miles + copay when the reservation shows a UA flight?....
For codeshares you are not be able to request an upgrade until you are at the airport -- however while the other upgrade approaches do mention the possibility for codeshare upgrades (at the airport), I see nothing in Miles+Copay T&Cs that permit codeshare upgrades. If permitted, it will likely be at the airport only (and not 24 hours in advance).
Old May 28, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
MUC-IAD UA metal, LH code-share number,

NC>0

How does SWU work?

Same day? Need paper SWU at airport? Call 1K web support?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm Reason: question was posted in both Consolidated and PMUA Forums; moved to thread containing similar information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.