Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions About Upgrading a Lufthansa Codeshare Flight Operated by United

Questions About Upgrading a Lufthansa Codeshare Flight Operated by United

Old May 28, 2011, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kb1992
MUC-IAD UA metal, LH code-share number,

NC>0

How does SWU work?

Same day? Need paper SWU at airport? Call 1K web support?
My understanding is at the airport and same-day only because you are on a codeshare flight number. No need for a paper cert as it is UA metal, not LH metal.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
UA metal

LH code share, LH PNR

There is no UA PNR.

How to sponsor SWU?
Old May 28, 2011, 4:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA metal

LH code share, LH PNR

There is no UA PNR.

How to sponsor SWU?
sponsoring an upgrade for a codeshare UA metal essentially requires the sponsor to be in person at the departure airport. So unless travelling together, it is likely not going to happen.
Old May 28, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is at the airport and same-day only because you are on a codeshare flight number. No need for a paper cert as it is UA metal, not LH metal.
LH W fare

Is it similar to UA W fare?

(in order to qualify for SWU).

Is SWU sponsorship possible?
Old May 28, 2011, 5:17 pm

LH W fare. Is it similar to UA W fare? (in order to qualify for SWU).
I believe so but I'm not certain.

Is SWU sponsorship possible?
Only if the sponsor is at the airport AFAIK.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by nzpilot
The key to UG on a code share ticket on UA metal is the moment when the rez shows as a UA flt number. It seems my experience is that this has been as early as 24hrs out. Once the record shows a UA flt number, an UG is possible, or at least getting in line for the UG. I know for a fact that pulled an UG on a BMI code share (UA metal) at least 1 day before flt. I would not routinely wait until the gate.....
On our trip in May SFO-LHR (BD flight number, UA metal) unfortunately we were unable to upgrade. When I pulled up the reservation by "View my itineraries" the reservation always showed the BMI flight numbers. When I clicked on Upgrade, the response was that this itinerary is ineligible for upgrade.

When I did OLCI 24 hours before departure, then and only then I saw that I could potentially upgrade. When I selected upgrade, I was asked what I wanted to use for the upgrade. IIRC, there was a choice between Regional Upgrades and Systemwide Upgrades of which I had none. I did not have the ability to do miles along with a co-pay. So, I had to wait until I got to the airport to request an upgrade. I did this and was told by the agent that it was hopeless for me as a lowly 2P.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: nobody
ORD-MUC-HKG

I score an XF ticket for my mom to HKG during Chinese New Year. With 12hrs layover in MUC, I figure I tag along so she won't be lost in MUC. (OK, I need to start my MR early Looking to book round trip to ORD-MUC-HKG, ORD-MUC on UA MUC-HKG on LH, I am looking to buy Economy and upgrade with SWU (I still have plenty to burn ). On LH site, I can get V fare RT for $1750 but of course with a catch the UA metal legs are on LH code. On .bomb, the same routing using multi segments comes to $6600 (B-Fare only). I know chance are slim, but do you think calling 1K can help in this situation to get ticket other than B-fare? If not I have to live with gate roulette, which with my luck is almost zero chance.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I know chance are slim...
I'd say that's being generous to your chances.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:20 pm

Elite Upgrade on LH codeshare?

Sorry if this was already answered, but here is my situation:

SEA-ORD-MUC

LH ticket # and LH flight # on both flights, operated by UA
LH fare bucket: "U"

Am I eligible for Elite Upgrade on LH codeshare SEA-ORD?
- In advance?
- At check-in?
- At the gate?

I was able to get E+ by calling United, but the agent had no clue about upgrades.

Thanks!!!
Anton
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AntonS
SEA-ORD-MUC

LH ticket # and LH flight # on both flights, operated by UA
LH fare bucket: "U"

Am I eligible for Elite Upgrade on LH codeshare SEA-ORD?
- In advance?
- At check-in?
- At the gate?

UDU, complimentary upgrades are not available in advance on codeshares (except with CO). However once you are at the airport you can request be added to the list. Most GA will do this (but the strict rules say no).
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
SWU on LH operated by United?

I have some LH credit that I can apply to any itinerary that originates and concludes in the US. I don't think the itinerary needs to be LH metal. Since I need to go SFO-LHR in late March I'd like to buy an LH ticket on the United flight and then apply an SWU. Is it possible and what LH fare do I need to buy to have an SWUable ticket?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by 38,000feet
...an LH ticket on the United flight and then apply an SWU. ...
As you are talking about UA metal, it will be UA rules that abide
- W or higher fare for economy (the issue is what UA maps the fare into -- there seems to be reasonable equivalency in LH/UA fare classes - probably due to the JV)
- as a codeshare, SWU can only be applied day of travel at the airport

also see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-united.html
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have a bunch of GPUs left unused and was checking the reservation of a close associate of mine to try to use them.

He has a LH-ticket number for an itinerary with:

1) a LH-coded-LH-operated flight

connecting to

2) a LH-coded-UA-operated TATL flight.

with flights booked in Q.

I have attempted to upgrade his LH-coded-UA-operated TATL flight and it has been a no-go over the phone.

I have attempted to upgrade the LH-coded-UA-operated TATL flight on united.com using my GPU.

After attempting this on united.com with the UA record locator (where only the UA flight number shows in the eticket receipt and UA reservation), the reservation now shows with the upgrade waitlisted for the UA-operated TATL flight:

..... Fare Class: United BusinessFirst (R)
Meal: Lunch
This flight segment is waitlisted.
No indication of any change on the Lufthansa website pull-up of the booking using LH's record locator.

Any real chance that the upgrade may clear at the likes of FRA/MUC/DUS, particularly as I won't be there myself? [He is not aware that I am trying to upgrade him, so he won't even ask about being upgraded.]
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
... Any real chance that the upgrade may clear at the likes of FRA/MUC/DUS, particularly as I won't be there myself? ...
your friend will be waitlisted with your status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.