Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short connection in DEN? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Update: Not even close (in a good way)

Arrived 20 mins early at B39, SFO flight was at B42 (so even the original 38 min connection would've been fine).
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Update: Not even close (in a good way)

Arrived 20 mins early at B39, SFO flight was at B42 (so even the original 38 min connection would've been fine).
They actually had a gate for you? Seems at DEN if your flight gets in early, even 10 minutes, you are guaranteed to go to the penalty box which almost guarantees you will be at least 5 minutes late arriving at your gate.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes ... maybe the cosmic balance was a bit off kelter as a result of 11/11/11

Fri, Nov 11
Scheduled: 7:31 AM
Actual: 7:07 AM Early
Reason: --
Concourse B
Gate: B39

Originally Posted by Baze
They actually had a gate for you? Seems at DEN if your flight gets in early, even 10 minutes, you are guaranteed to go to the penalty box which almost guarantees you will be at least 5 minutes late arriving at your gate.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
That used to be a problem at DEN, but I have had a lot of flights arrive early lately and never had to wait for a gate. But maybe I've just been lucky lately.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
That used to be a problem at DEN, but I have had a lot of flights arrive early lately and never had to wait for a gate. But maybe I've just been lucky lately.
Two words: Capacity cuts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Definitely haven't had to wait for a gate in at least a year. It did used to be bad though.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Baze
My last four UAX flights were 5-10 minutes early and all had to wait for a gate, sometimes as long as 15 minutes.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:57 am

Flight canceled, now rerouted

I purchased a one way flight from Phoenix to Seattle with a ~90 minute layover in SFO traveling 11/27/11, the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The SFO -> SEA flight was subsequently canceled resulting in a reroute with a ~40 minute layover in Denver. Because of potential bad weather and general travel issues for 11/27 I'm more than a little concerned about the onward connection even though 40 minutes is a legitimate connection time.

What are UA's obligations should I miss the connection and they claim it's weather related?

What about rescheduling? I already tried that but was told it has to be in the same fare class which would be tough because I got a good deal on the original ticket. They said I could refund the ticket but that won't do me much good as I'm headed from SEA to PHX on AS. Not only that but I used a $75 e-credit which I would forfeit if the ticket is refunded. That sounded pretty lame to me.

Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Not really general travel issues on that Sunday as far as planes flying. Security issues are another thing. You should be fine.

I'm seeing a 50 minute connection through Denver that day.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
I purchased a one way flight from Phoenix to Seattle with a ~90 minute layover in SFO traveling 11/27/11, the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The SFO -> SEA flight was subsequently canceled resulting in a reroute with a ~40 minute layover in Denver. Because of potential bad weather and general travel issues for 11/27 I'm more than a little concerned about the onward connection even though 40 minutes is a legitimate connection time.

What are UA's obligations should I miss the connection and they claim it's weather related?

What about rescheduling? I already tried that but was told it has to be in the same fare class which would be tough because I got a good deal on the original ticket. They said I could refund the ticket but that won't do me much good as I'm headed from SEA to PHX on AS. Not only that but I used a $75 e-credit which I would forfeit if the ticket is refunded. That sounded pretty lame to me.

Cheers.
Assuming everything is on time, 40 minutes in DEN should be fine. Even if it's a mainline to express connection (or VV), while DEN is a bit long, should still be perfectly fine.

If you miss a connection due to weather, they'll book you on the next available seat to SEA. If you're worried, I'd suggest having alternate schedules on hand to give to the agent if there's no availability on non-stops that day (i.e. DEN-SFO/LAX - SEA). Some will look, but if they're busy with lots of people, is always easier to suggest specific flights - I find they are usually pretty amenable.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
You'll be fine ^ I've done a five minute connection in DEN (A319 MCI-DEN blew five tires, so rebooked to last MCI-DEN of the night. Landed ten minutes before last DEN-SFO left for the night) and made it. I did have to run, but I made it :whew:

If you had to go from the UX gates to the other end of the concourse, it would probably take 10-12~ minutes, as long as you walk quickly and use the moving walkways.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:59 am

OK, my fears about a missed connection have been allayed.

What about the offer to refund the ticket but not reissue the voucher? Is that worth pursuing, getting the voucher refunded?

Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by povertyjetset
OK, my fears about a missed connection have been allayed.

What about the offer to refund the ticket but not reissue the voucher? Is that worth pursuing, getting the voucher refunded?

Thanks.
I don't think you can pull it off....they are pretty much gone once used.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't think you can pull it off....they are pretty much gone once used.
I managed to get one back when refunding due to a MX. It was one of those infamous "one-time exceptions" and also took a lot of effort later (a call to UA Web Support, who in turn booked the wrong flights... but that's another story).
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Connection time YVR-DEN-MEX

Hello,

I'm looking at flying YVR-MEX on Dec 30th.

Unfortunately, the only reasonably priced flight is giving me frighteningly short connection time.

Arrive YVR-DEN: 625PM
Depart DEN-MEX: 715PM

That's 50 minutes!

Is this at all doable?

Cheers,

-W

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.