Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: * A
lets enjoy the launch and initial bookings! thanks UA ^
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
What I think a fair solution would be would be to continue to allow a stopover on RT awards, but restrict them on one-ways.
I like this idea.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I really hope that UA decides to allow for free en-route stopovers on one-way award tickets, but I'm not counting on it.

It's unfortunate but it seems like Star Alliance partners won't be available as one-way awards (at half-the-roundtrip pricing levels) until later (if that is even being pursued currently by UA).
Almost all *A allow stopovers on ONE=WAY awards, when booked thru BD (which allows ONE-WAY and CASH & MILES). So, it should be possible for UA to make one-way with stopover (with other *A partners).

Anyway, thanks UA!!!

Last edited by anishub; Jan 30, 2010 at 5:56 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by anishub
Almost all *A allow stopovers on ONE=WAY awards, when booked thru BD (which allows ONE-WAY and CASH & MILES). So, it should be possible for UA to make one-way with stopover (with other *A partners).

Anyway, thanks UA!!!
Yup, plus some of the other *A carriers have now added one-way awards where previously they didn't exist (SQ, for example)....so one-ways appear to be spreading through the Alliance. Of course, a consistent, alliance-wide set of rules would be too much to hope for.

Still: a significant improvement for MP. 'Spose CO will follow?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Kudos to UA!!!!

Originally Posted by United PR
I see word is out that we will be offering One-Way awards on February 1. I wanted to give you a little more information about this, as well as inform you of the other things we have been up to lately.

During the past six months, we have made it easier for you to use your miles by eliminating last minute award booking fees. We were the first to eliminate this fee and continue to be the only program that has done so. We have given you more choices on how to use your miles by introducing an industry-leading Hotel and Car Awards program.

Now we are giving you more flexibility when using your miles with our new One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards, which we expect to complete testing tonight.

With Mileage Plus’ One-Way Awards, you can travel one-way for half the miles of a roundtrip award (starting at 12,500 miles for a domestic Saver award) on United or United Express. Miles & Money Awards enable you to book a roundtrip flight, hotel stay or car rental for fewer miles by making up the difference in cash. More information about these new awards will be available on Monday at www.mileageplus.com.

Our work continues. Initially, One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards will only be available online. You will be able to call Reservations to book these awards later this year. The ability to mix and match award levels – Saver or Standard Awards – for a roundtrip award ticket will be available in the summer. I realize that you can mix and match awards now (or shall I say starting on Monday) by creating multiple PNRs. That will change and you will be able to do this on one PNR in the near future. Other new products continue to be developed and will transform Mileage Plus into the most rewarding loyalty program for you.

As you can see, we’ve been hard at work, coming up with more ways for you to use your miles. As always, I look forward to reading your feedback on this thread and stay tuned as there is more to come.

Sincerely,
Robert Sahadevan
Vice President – Mileage Plus
This is a great step forward in customer relations!!! Thanks Robert & UA
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by anishub
Let's hope so!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by channa
I have a feeling this is not going to go the way we are hoping. United PR follows this thread, and is I'm sure well aware of the nuance. I fear that his/her omission of this answer is probably an indication of where they're going.

What I think a fair solution would be would be to continue to allow a stopover on RT awards, but restrict them on one-ways.
At the moment we're allowed 1 stopover on a r/t. If stopovers were allowed on a one-way it would effectively give us 2 stopovers for a r/t. UA never does anything to benefit their customers....

I do not want to see the stopover go away, but I'm not optimistic.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Excellent news, and a big turnaround in terms of UA communicating with its customers.

UA makes MP more attractive on my last day as a 1K (2P as of 1 Feb). Between this and the overall improvement in all areas of the airline last year, I have to rethink things.

I did qualify Plat on CO for 2010 after matching to CO in mid-2008. Was disgusted with the problems and attitudes at UA back then. So I can and will still fly UA, and will have decent benefits on UA.

Probably doesn't matter in terms of program by this time next year - I still expect a merger or at least a merged FF program (a la Miles & More) between UA and CO.

Glad I still have some UA miles around to take advantage of this 1-way award option.

Thanks UA PR, Robert, and everybody at UA who added this benefit and who have worked hard to improve the airline this past year!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Wow, this is great! Just booked two one-way awards for my brother to visit, one in F and one in C! ^
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
So the question everyone wants to know is... are free stopovers being eliminated (a'la AA)?
u can still do free stopovers on AA, it's just limited now to the US gateway city, which I feel is fine. If my parents live in Austin and I live in Chicago, I can book an award ticket from LHR to ORD stopover, and then go down to AUS later to see them, and if I end up not wanting to go down to AUS, i can throw away the domestic segment...I don't care that much for intl stopovers, I prefer to go to one intl location and then come back to the US before going to another one...

a good thing about one way awards is now I can book a westbound US-Asia trip in F and return in C (which gets arrivals lounge access as well...XC inventory)
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Wonder why people are so excited here? UA is only following AA but at least initially restricting OW awards to their own metal only. I don't redeem on UA metal.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:49 pm

one-way and mile+cash

Should have reported this last night.
Was in F on UA924 SEA-IAD, Jan 29. After taking off, I naturally pulled out Hemisphere but found it had a new cover - it's already the February issue. Then I went thru it quickly. Two half-paged ads soon attracted me:
1. Beginning from Feb 1 2010, Mileage Plus members (not only 1Ks) can redeem one-way travel on United;
2. M+ members can also use the combination of reduced mileage plus monetary payment. (couldn't remember this' only good for round-trip or also okay for one-way.) Sounds like the mile+cash option offer by some other carriers.

Last edited by zhuyanfei; Jan 30, 2010 at 10:58 pm Reason: Okay. Now I see someone has already reported
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uchuuace
Wow, this is great! Just booked two one-way awards for my brother to visit, one in F and one in C! ^
Still only seeing ability to book R/T on .bomb

Does this need to be called in?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tripaddict
Still only seeing ability to book R/T on .bomb

Does this need to be called in?
No -- it is not yet offical, there is a way to access it (see earlier in this thread) but this is not offically offered until Feb 1.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by holtju2
Wonder why people are so excited here? UA is only following AA but at least initially restricting OW awards to their own metal only. I don't redeem on UA metal.
BECAUSE I can mix and match with AA to get to more places with less stopovers. Not a lot of foreign metal flying around region 1. It is only a matter of time before I can redeem a OW award on CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.