Wiki Posts
Search

How long for purchased miles to post?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
How long for purchased miles to post?

I had to purchase 1,000 miles via dot.bomb to get the mileage I need for an upgrade. This was more than 24 hours ago.

How long does it usually take to post? Does anyone have experience?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
.bomb is quoting "Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your Mileage Plus account"..

I would check with UA if they don't appear in your account in the next few hours.

http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMiles.jsp
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm nearing the 48 hour mark and am getting pretty annoyed.

It seems like the MO is to make it take 24-36 hours so people pay to purchase miles but can't do so with the expectation of applying this ASAP.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by golakers32
Thanks. I'm nearing the 48 hour mark and am getting pretty annoyed.

It seems like the MO is to make it take 24-36 hours so people pay to purchase miles but can't do so with the expectation of applying this ASAP.
I'm not surprised it is taking so long... However, I don't understand why it takes so long to post. If you can purchase e500s and have them post right away, why can't the same happen when you purchase miles?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Yep, sounds like a game to me. Folks (like me) need to purchase them last minute, but then you get stuck waiting so long that they can't be applied to the flight in question. United succeeds in selling the miles and also reaping the benefit in not having them used at the time they are most needed.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, Marriott Silver
I just bought miles this week and it took the full 48 hours.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
How quickly do purchased miles post?

I'm flying LHR-XXX Friday on an M fare. Upgrade to new biz is 20K miles +$250. I have 0 miles

Three questions :-

1.) if I buy the 20K miles, what are the chances they post in time for check in?

2.) Can I pay the $250 at online check in? (the reason I ask is that the parental visa is coming into play, which won't be there if I do check in at LHR.)

3.) Is a paid upgrade on the day going to be more or less than the $930 total the miles+co-pay totals?

Or, do I submit to the indignity of a $97 E+ window seat?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to .bomb, "Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your Mileage Plus account"

It is possible that if you purchase them today, they may not post in-time. Take a look at this thread for some more info..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iles-post.html
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
OP, you're betting off getting someone to sponsor you with a systemwide. The miles likely won't post in time.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rpjepson
Is a paid upgrade on the day going to be more or less than the $930 total the miles+co-pay totals?
If they're offering them, probably substantially less (though there's no way to tell because you don't say what your route is). http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...+upgrades+gate
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:02 pm

It's lhr-ord.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rpjepson
It's lhr-ord.
See post #2536 in the thread referenced above.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:50 pm

I'm a bit surprised they're offering any form of upgrade, as EF has it :

F1 J0 C0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q7 V3 W2 S0 T0 K0 L0 G0 A0 D0 Z0 E0 U0
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: mileage plus
48 hours to post miles after transer/purchase?

Hi All!

I am a newbie to the board and just have a quick question that I hope someone can give me a quick answer to! I have just transferred miles from my mileage plus account to my husband's account. I also purchased a few more miles as well so that we will both have enough miles to book a flight in the next day or so. It appears the company says it takes 48 hours for such transactions to appear in the recipients mileage plus account. Does it always take that long??? If so, can someone tell me WHY? My credit card was charged instantly for the transactions and the miles i transferred disappeared instantly out of my mileage plus account.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by texteach
Hi All!

I am a newbie to the board and just have a quick question that I hope someone can give me a quick answer to! I have just transferred miles from my mileage plus account to my husband's account. I also purchased a few more miles as well so that we will both have enough miles to book a flight in the next day or so. It appears the company says it takes 48 hours for such transactions to appear in the recipients mileage plus account. Does it always take that long??? If so, can someone tell me WHY? My credit card was charged instantly for the transactions and the miles i transferred disappeared instantly out of my mileage plus account.

Thanks in advance for any info!
FWIW, the Continental/United mileage transfers happened for me instantaneously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.