FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1032073-dec-09-ua-security-procedures-operational-changes-international-flights-merged.html)

saaws Dec 26, 2009 9:32 am

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Moderator note: FlyerTalk's Travel Safety/Security forum has an extensive discussion on new travel policies after the DL AMS->DTW flight. Please discuss there any general matters about these new rules. This thread is meant to be a discussion of specific UA situations and experiences on the new policies. Please help us keep this open by limiting the discussion to updating the UA experience or other related discussion focused specifically on UA. Thanks, the United Moderation team.

For DOMESTIC UA Flights, please use the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-merged.html

On my icn-sfo flight, (arrived just now) IFE was down and everyone got skykits. And Also got an email saying IFE uses GPS (map portion I guess) and therefore had to stay turned off. Everyone else had similar experience?

12/28 Update from UntedPR:

Originally Posted by United PR (Post 13068136)
Wanted to clarify some topics mentioned in this thread.

Shortly after the situation on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, we temporarily disconnected the IFE on IPTE flights inbound into the U.S. We did this to immediately comply with a component of the new TSA security directive. If we were not able to comply, we likely would have had to cancel the flights that were scheduled to depart shortly after the directive was issued.

As more time progressed between when the directive was issued and when our next bank of international flights departed, we were able to turn off the GPS portion of the IPTE IFE system and keep the remainder of it in operation. IFE on IPTE (B767 and B747) is now in operation and continues to be on the B777s.

For those of you who were inconvenienced during this short interim phase, Customer Relations will be reaching out to you to apologize with a goodwill gesture.

To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S.

All this aside, we hope you had a nice holiday.

bmvaughn Dec 26, 2009 9:52 am

If so, that would be a major blow to the IPTE program and has the possibility to delay the 777 upgrades... not sure they'd want to install IFE on these planes until a new software is released which could take awhile.

MLRoach Dec 26, 2009 9:57 am

And, of course, our beloved Channel 9 :(

ECOTONE Dec 26, 2009 10:45 am

there was mention in the massive NW/DL thread about yesterday's incident that pilots are no longer allowed to do announcements like, "if you look out to your left, we're passing over Des Moines" - that offer insight into the planes current location.

hopefully channel 9 won't be disabled....

VTHokieFlyer Dec 26, 2009 11:53 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Well I'm sitting on UA881 ORD-NRT and they told us bc of the incident yesterday no IFE, now I have nothing to do for 13 hours except drink... This is a joke, like we won't be able to have a general idea of where we are by looking out the window and knowing we have to cross an ocean to get to Europe or Asia... What a waste of 3 SWU I just used to upgrade my dad, brother and myself! Once I get to the hotel in tokyo I'm sending my email to 1kvoice. I asked about skykits or something but there was an onboard service supervisor on and he said united would reach out to us, let's see!

tom911 Dec 26, 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by VTHokieFlyer (Post 13056696)
Well I'm sitting on UA881 ORD-NRT and they told us bc of the incident yesterday no IFE, now I have nothing to do for 13 hours except drink

Any prohibition against using a laptop or other video/audio devices a passenger supplies?

VTHokieFlyer Dec 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by tom911

Well I'm sitting on UA881 ORD-NRT and they told us bc of the incident yesterday no IFE, now I have nothing to do for 13 hours except drink

Any prohibition against using a laptop or other video/audio devices a passenger supplies?

No restrictions on your stuff but the in-seat power is not working so you have as long as your battery lasts. I'm mostly pissed about not being told before checkin or before boarding so I could have went to the bookstore here in the airport, not even a word about this while we were in the RCC either.

unavaca Dec 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Well I'm sitting on UA881 ORD-NRT and they told us bc of the incident yesterday no IFE, now I have nothing to do for 13 hours except drink... This is a joke, like we won't be able to have a general idea of where we are by looking out the window and knowing we have to cross an ocean to get to Europe or Asia... What a waste of 3 SWU I just used to upgrade my dad, brother and myself! Once I get to the hotel in tokyo I'm sending my email to 1kvoice. I asked about skykits or something but there was an onboard service supervisor on and he said united would reach out to us, let's see!

Wow, that freaking blows. I'd ask for my SWUs back. If this isn't devaluing SWUs, I don't know what is... :D

worldtrav Dec 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 13056867)
Wow, that freaking blows. I'd ask for my SWUs back. If this isn't devaluing SWUs, I don't know what is... :D

Ask the TSA for your SWU's back, it's their directive not UA's. You think UA/other airlines want to disable a system they have paid millions for?

channa Dec 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 13056008)
If so, that would be a major blow to the IPTE program and has the possibility to delay the 777 upgrades... not sure they'd want to install IFE on these planes until a new software is released which could take awhile.

Do you really think disabling a function is going to take a while?

These systems are highly programmable, and it's probably just a matter of removing it from the menu system.

The older systems may be more difficult to program than the newer ones because they're the ones most likely to be hard-coded. Doesn't the 777 seat have a map button, for example?

flyinbob Dec 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Has UA made any statement, or given any indication, how long this IFE nonsense will last? Nothing on the web site as of now.

eightblack Dec 26, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm flying all the way from SFO-SIN tomorrow with our 2 young children (2 of us have cleared into J and the other 2 are waitlisted). I'll lose the will to live if I end up sitting in J with no IFE and nothing to entertain them with - especially when their iPods, DS etc all run out of batteries!

l etoile Dec 26, 2009 1:48 pm

This is ridiculous. The scale is so out of whack on those. The plane is about the size of Rhode Island. :rolleyes:

emcampbe Dec 26, 2009 1:48 pm

UA should sue the TSA for $X,000 per day they are forced to shut off the IFE.

Why don't they learn from Isreal, who, despite all the security threats against them, have never had a problem because they have invested in proper security, and so do it right beforehand. The guy who caused the whole incident has been on a US terrorist watchlist for ~ 2 years now - how was he even allowed to board the plane. What's the point of the list if its not being used. What is the point of this department?

The airport and specifically security - which I'll now refer to as the circus - is just going to cause the 99.9999999999999% of us honest people to jump through hoops to get on our flights, and not do a single thing to stop the behavior of the ones trying to harm us.

Let me clearly state I have no problem in going through extra security if it has the chance of making a difference - unfortunatetly, having FA's enforce everyone sitting in their seat for an hour before landing and shutting off the IFE, among other things mentioned, isn't going to make a difference in stopping these types of things. Investing in the proper type of security, and not putting all our efforts and $ into trying to stop the last attempt, would be a lot more effective.

l etoile Dec 26, 2009 1:55 pm

To be consistent, they should not reveal flight times any more either since if you know you're departing Chicago at x and you want to do damage to a plane over Denver it wouldn't be too tough to figure out when you'd be there, map or not. Beware of anyone who looks at their watch in flight. ;)