Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:21 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have used none of the 14 SWUs I earned last year. I have offered them for free to family, friends, coworkers and have given away 4 for free on CC so far this year rather than see them expire; one as recent as this morning. I have had absolutely no paid international travel this year.

There's a certain amount of joy I get from giving them away.
bolding mine: I couldn't' agree more ^. It's all about putting them to good use, not having them go poof and feeling good afterwards. I gave 2 SWU's away to a F/t'er and her companion simply "just cuz" and you know what-we have now become friends and that in addition to giving them some seat comfort is a pretty good feeling (and then there was a young lady flying IAD-LHR to see her hubby who was stationed there and they handn't seen each other in 6 months so her seat 40-something e- middle seat became business aisle in the mini-cabin on a 777)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam

swu

That was very kind of you goalie. Nicely done.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
I just sponsored a colleague here in the office, I ended the year with two extra.

What is frustrating is the online system only works occassionally, it seems to me. When it works online, its all well and good, clean and efficent and your done with it. But when I had to call it in to the 1K desk because .bomb would not accept the SWU, the 1K desk processed it fine then told me I had to go to the airport and sign a release before my buddy could fly.

That's not a big deal since I travel a lot and can do that before he departs.

However, it's a really asymetric process; if it works online, painless, if not, drive to the airport and sign a form? Huh?

Does anyone know why they do this? It seems really silly...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by zrs70
A friend of mine (not a FTer) has an SWU that expires this month. He called MP support and they offered to exchange them for Regionals. (I believe two of them) that will expire this December.
That's a good idea. Do they keep the same expiration date as the original SWU? e.g., I have SWUs expiring in December. If I ask for them to be exchanged to a pair of CR1s, will they still expire in December or be given a new expiry date?

Either way, I'd take it because I'm more likely to want to use 2 CR1s for a r/t to HNL than 1 SWU before the end of Dec.

Last edited by DullesJason; Oct 26, 2010 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by river_rower
However, it's a really asymetric process; if it works online, painless, if not, drive to the airport and sign a form? Huh?
There is, of course, the third method of getting WebSupport involved at the supervisory level and you can OCCASIONALLY get your proper authorization IN the record that way.
The go to the airport, sign a form, show ID routine is simply a carryover from the days when UA was protecting OUR interests against someone getting nothing more than our MP number/name and calling in to use OUR certificates to sponsor THEIR flight upgrades. Why they haven't fixed it yet is a question for a different person!

Dave
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They fixed it for awards. I'm surprised to hear they don't use the same procedure for upgrades.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TJQuill
Don't let all the "be careful" talk about gifting or trading them concern you too much. There are a few anecdotes floating around about people being questioned about the source of their SWUs, but the group that I work in have traded/gifted many dozens of upgrades and it has never been an issue of any kind. ....
Very true this can be successful done among an informed group.
But the use of e-bay/craig's list / ... and dealing with novices can be very disastrous. All you need is a traveller complaint to an agent " I paid $XXX and expected an upgrade!!" or other clueless statements. Numerous threads have reported the consequences.
So being careful & informed on how you do this is important. But that does not mean it can not be done right (or wrong).
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by zrs70
A friend of mine (not a FTer) has an SWU that expires this month. He called MP support and they offered to exchange them for Regionals. (I believe two of them) that will expire this December.
I'm still learning from my teacher, even after all these years on Flyertalk. ^
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
I have sponsored 4 SWUs through .bomb. - absolutely painless to do.

One of them cleared immediately - the rest waitlisted. I also had 2 certs printed for use for a friend on Star Alliance partners - will find out how that went next week (this unfortunately means he will not know until he's at the gate). It is the joy in having someone who was prepared to bear 10-12 hours in coach get to biz class and tell me how they liked it that makes it worth it to give them away.... However, should my friends also come to my house with a premium bottle of tequila I would not turn it down.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
For Jan/Feb '11 expiring SWUs - if you have them converted to paper ones to use on LH flights, does that extend their expiration date?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WWBGD
That was very kind of you goalie. Nicely done.
Thank you and I am a firm believer in karma and "what goes around, comes around" so why not make someone happy and besides, having something of value simply expire and go poof when you had the chance to use it either for yourself or giving it so someone else so they can enjoy it, would be imho, a shanda*

*That's "a sin" for those of you who don't speak tribe .
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
what goes around, comes around
No, it doesn't. But kudos to you.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
For Jan/Feb '11 expiring SWUs - if you have them converted to paper ones to use on LH flights, does that extend their expiration date?
no
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy1987
I also had 2 certs printed for use for a friend on Star Alliance partners
You do realize that only one partner (LH) participates in this, right?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
What is "CC"??

What does "CC" mean? In reference to above lines like, "I used CC to gift my SWUs"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.