Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:16 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by mki303
All:

I have 2 SWUs that are set to expire on 11/30/2009. I'm traveling in NC next week and won't be back until 12/1/2009. So I will be unable to use these SWUs. (Am I correct in saying that I can't use SWUs expiring in November for travel that is occurring in December?)
You can call and probably get one (only one!) SWU extended. See this FlyerTalk thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-2010-swu.html
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
2, 3, and 4 will not work. Your options are to use them or lose them.
Just call MP and ask that they be extended into 2010 and they should do it, making the new expiration date april of 2010. then you can use them in december of 2009.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Well, I guess I am obligated to say that if you do give one to a servicemember going to Kuwait they are very likely to thank you profusely. The vast majority of them will have never experienced Business Class. A really nice thing to do for someone who will spend the next year sharing a 20 foot long trailer (or possibly worse).

I speak from two tours of Iraq experience.

You also have my personal thanks for what it is worth.

COL G-
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Unused System Wide Upgrades

I still have 4 SWU left for this year with no international travel on the horizon. I have never used the "coupon connection"

Should I have United send me paper certificates before I do anything? I would assume I will need them before I can give them to someone or trade.

Any help is appreciated
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
You can "sponsor upgrade" other travelers using your SWUs without using paper certs.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
You can gift/transfer them with a PNR - super simple
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You can "sponsor upgrade" other travelers using your SWUs without using paper certs.
I tried doing this a few weeks ago for a friend traveling to Europe. When I called United they told me I would need to be on the same flight to do it or they pax would need the paper certificate
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
UA reviews CC and bad things can happen to some who've sold or traded SWU's (or other UA goodies). There now seems to be a presumption that if they're used by anybody else, in some cases even w/ same last name, that there's fraud.

To me it's not worth it - sponsor family or friends and just give 'em away.

Hope it works out well for you.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snapper6768
... When I called United they told me I would need to be on the same flight to do it or they pax would need the paper certificate
Neither is true -- except for travel on LH.

For travel on UA metal, you can use the online sponsoring appraoch
You can also do on the phone but then you will be required to sign forms at an airport

Do be careful on how you handle this
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Should I have United send me paper certificates before I do anything?
Paper SWUs are good on LH only.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Neither is true -- except for travel on LH.

For travel on UA metal, you can use the online sponsoring appraoch
You can also do on the phone but then you will be required to sign forms at an airport

Do be careful on how you handle this
Now that you mention it, I think it was an LH flight, that would explain it

May I ask why you say "be careful" doing this? Is there some risk to giving to someone
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:50 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is there some risk to giving to someone?
No, unless you are trading/asking for something in return. Make sure you send an email to whoever you sponsor stating that you have given full authority that the person may use your SWU. In the odd chance that person is questioned at the airport, they will have your printed permission.

If you sponsor via phone, you'll have to sign a slip in person before the pax you've sponsored flies. If you sponsor online, you don't have to do this extra security step.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I've gotten to the point of double-checking at the RCC that the sponsored upgrade I've done for someone is "A-OK", and don't need to sign anything. Sometimes there can be glitches in the on-line sponsor process.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MP-1K/GS
i know it's not the best use of a systemwide, but why not use it on ANY flight versus just an international?

i used 2 to upgrade my parents on an anniversary vacation, used another on a flight from ORD to MIA over christmas. beats having them expire...
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:21 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by simplyme
i know it's not the best use of a systemwide, but why not use it on ANY flight versus just an international?

i used 2 to upgrade my parents on an anniversary vacation, used another on a flight from ORD to MIA over christmas. beats having them expire...
Not a bad idea if one doesn't want to deal with hassles sometimes associated with trades on CC.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.