Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Standby Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Okay, one more universe of questions:

How about standby for an alternate connection?

Example:

My ticket is LGA-IAD-SFO, can I standby for LGA-ORD-SFO?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jmr50
...How about standby for an alternate connection?
UA Standby policy is
Available only for identical routings (same origin, destination and connection city, if applicable).
However some have report agents being more flexible. The major concern is getting to the intermediate city and no available for the next leg since standby is one leg at a time.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Standby Fee Question

I know as a 1K that fees are waived for standby and same day changes w/in 3 hours of departure. However, if there are multiple people on the PNR under my name, are the fees waived for them as well? Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
In my experience, yes.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
In my experience, yes.
Thank you for the quick reply!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
How is standby handled on a flight with a connection where I don't change the routing? I have a late evening flight routing SEA-SFO-LAS, might want to do it earlier. Is it $50 for each segment? Do I clear the SEA-SFO segment and then wait at SFO for the SFO-LAS segment to clear?

I'm *G (CO Gold) so I'll gain some priority on standby lists. And yes, I do know about $75 SDC.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How is standby handled on a flight with a connection where I don't change the routing? I have a late evening flight routing SEA-SFO-LAS, might want to do it earlier. Is it $50 for each segment? Do I clear the SEA-SFO segment and then wait at SFO for the SFO-LAS segment to clear?

I'm *G (CO Gold) so I'll gain some priority on standby lists. And yes, I do know about $75 SDC.
It's $50 per direction, so would only be 1 charge. Your CC gets taken at the time you request standby, but is only charged at the time when you are cleared/board an earlier flight. However, if you clear on your first segment, but not on your second, I don't believe they will refund this charge.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
OK, so worst case I get stuck in SFO for some hours (assuming that I clear on an earlier SEA-SFO flight, and not on the SFO-LAS leg). I'll contemplate that if I do this.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:44 pm

Changing Flights

I have a flight out of SEA tomorrow. The flight I am on has little chance of an upgrade. I notice that there is a flight leaving out earlier with lots of C and F open. I am a lowly Premier. Is there a way I could switch to this earlier flight which wouldn't cost me anything?

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
What's your fare basis?
Doesn't hurt to ask reservations, even if you have a restricted fare class.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Unfortunately, you would have to pay to switch to the other flight. If you were 1K/GS, you would be eligible for free standby/same day confirmed change.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jgish
What's your fare basis?
Doesn't hurt to ask reservations, even if you have a restricted fare class.
L

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Unfortunately, you would have to pay to switch to the other flight. If you were 1K/GS, you would be eligible for free standby/same day confirmed change.
Pooh

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I was reading this thread. Would the charge be about $50?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyGirl001
L

I was reading this thread. Would the charge be about $50?
I'm assuming this is domestic, if so:

$50 for standby - i.e. you'll get a DM card for the earlier flight, and find out about 20 minutes prior to departure, at the gate, whether there's room. If you get on, the least chance of getting an upgrade, since you'll only get on the list after you're confirmed on the flight, which will likely be after they've cleared all the other upgrades. There's very little chance of you not being the last on the list, especially given you're a 2P and on an L fare.

$75 for confirmed same day standby, available 3 hours prior to the departure time of the earlier flight. Better upgrade chances, since you'll be confirmed earlier. But still, getting added 3 hours before flight time, and depending on aircraft, route and load, maybe not so likely for the upgrade given status/fare level.

$150 (plus any fare difference) to change now. Best chance of upgrade, as you'll be on the list earliest, but still doesn't necessarily mean you'd clear, and its the most expensive option - especially if there's no L inventory and a fare difference comes into play.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm assuming this is domestic, if so:

$50 for standby - ....
Thank you emcampbe that was very informative.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Definition of "Same Day" on UA?

Have a flight 06:00 on Monday PHL-ORD. It's a CO ticket but codeshare on UA metal. Looks like there will be weather issues. Want to change to a flight on Sunday (confirmed or standby).

Continental's policy is clear; they define "same-day standby" as within a 24-hour window prior to or after the flight:
The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your original scheduled flight. Requested flight must be available in your fare class*** and be departing within the next 24 hours from when you are making the request. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
Does UA define "same day" similarly or does it have to be another flight literally the same day (of which there is none)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.