Wiki Posts
Search

21 x 14 x 7 Carry On CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
21 x 14 x 7 Carry On CRJ-200

Could somebody please confirm whether a 21" x 14" x 7" carry on will fit into the overhead bin on a United CRJ 200? or will it have to be put in as checked luggage?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not sure that will fit but my slightly larger carry-on will not. These items are handled as you board and are put into the same area as checked luggage. However you will retrieve your luggage as you dis-embark. It is fast and convenient. You will not need to go to the normal checked luggage area.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
IME they may try to grab it from you regardless of size. Protests may or may not be effective. Some GAs, especially in ORD, seem to enjoy doing a 'sweep' of the gate area prior to boarding, putting green tags on everything bigger than a medium-sized purse. That said, I think yours is really pushing the possible.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Your bag sounds too big for the CRJ-200 overhead bin. The height and depth on those bins are very small. But as was already stated, it's not a big deal to check the bag at the plane. You'll pick it up by the plane when you exit the aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:39 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

The height of the overheads on the CRJ are sufficient to fit a laptop bag and then fold your suit jacket on top of it. That's about it.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I've got a 20" x 14" x 7" bag and I know it won't fit in a CRJ-200 overhead bin so I think you're out of luck. You'll have to gate check it.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
You're out of luck with that one. On other RJs maybe, but not on the -200.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Won't fit on the 700 either, as the bins are pretty similary-sized. My ~17x12x10 notebook bag barely fits into the overheads on either CRJ (have to squish the outer pockets if there is anything in them).
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:31 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
I can't say 100% for sure, but I would say most of the gates for the 200's @ ORD are walk- up with the "luggage cart" next to the plane- just place your bag on that and they load it. If the GA is vigilant enough, they will come around thru the gate area w/green tags to put on your carry-on as there is no way it will fit in a overhead. If the flight is light, you might convince them to let you take it on and stuff it under your seat.

Last edited by rustyr; Apr 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
No way - bin space is limited to small cases or soft-sided small bags. If flight is not full you might be able to put it under seat, sideways, but only if empty seat next to you. Normally they just take the bags & check them. It's a small, uncomfortable plane & usually you board via stairs from tarmac...a much-hated aircraft.
Old May 1, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by EdatLAX
I've got a 20" x 14" x 7" bag and I know it won't fit in a CRJ-200 overhead bin so I think you're out of luck. You'll have to gate check it.
No. gate check implies it goes as checked baggage to be retrieved from baggage claim. OP's bag likely gets put on the cart with the green valet tag, which is then retrieved planeside on arrival.

7" wide might actually fit in the bin. It will probably fit under the seat as well if that's what you want to do.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=DougSkymiles;20641057]Does Delta have a written policy concerning carry-on luggage on a CRJ 200? ... Pre Merger UA forum is wrong place for a Delta policy question

Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
...My standard TravelPro rollerboard (with only one change of clothes fits perfectly in the overhead. I have carried it on many times in the past, and often have a FA question me when I board but say nothing when they see it fits. However, today I ran into a FA that although it fit, said that FAA guidelines require that I check it. She tried to get the GA to remove it from the overhead, however, the Captain interceded and said it was ok. I don't want to break an FAA rule, but not sure there is one.
some of the contracted express carriers have different operating rules, one of the United Express (UX) carriers does have an approved FAA operating rules that does not allow this (most of the UXs do allow smaller rollaboards).
janoldenburg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.