Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

TAM Discounted Business Class - booking code "P" - UA Operated Flight

Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

TAM codeshares on UA operated flights ex-IAD/ORD to GRU. TAM offers a capacity controlled discounted (though otherwise unrestricted) fare that books into "P" class. TAM "P" class is discounted business class.

Does TAM "P" class equate to UA "D" or UA "Z" for crediting into Mileage Plus or other Star Alliance programs?

Star Alliance programs all seem to operate under the rule that the operating airline is controlling for mileage purposes. If on a paid fare on a Star Alliance operated flight, then credit the miles to any Star Alliance program.

Last edited by Colin; Apr 5, 2009 at 3:15 pm
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
TAM is not yet a full *A member. I have recently flown the IAD-GIG seasonal route on a TAM ticket, but in E+, not C. I just make sure that UA has my MP No. when checking in, and the miles are credited, both EQM and RDM. According to the info in the chart on .bomb, P would earn 125%.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52289,00.html
but note the asterisk and fine print: As of July 1, 2008, all travel on TAM credited to the Mileage Plus program accrues actual miles, with no minimum.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
My guess is Z, but I don't know for sure. I suggest you call UA and ask them..and then post the results here. If it's D you can upgrade to NF at the airport on the day of the flight!
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
My guess is Z, but I don't know for sure. I suggest you call UA and ask them..and then post the results here. If it's D you can upgrade to NF at the airport on the day of the flight!
Did call. UA agent said P. I tried to explain I wanted the underlying United booking class, but the agent just told me "P" (the TAM booking class). I then asked her why I was seated in row 7. No response.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qfrodo
TAM is not yet a full *A member. I have recently flown the IAD-GIG seasonal route on a TAM ticket, but in E+, not C. I just make sure that UA has my MP No. when checking in, and the miles are credited, both EQM and RDM. According to the info in the chart on .bomb, P would earn 125%.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52289,00.html
but note the asterisk and fine print: As of July 1, 2008, all travel on TAM credited to the Mileage Plus program accrues actual miles, with no minimum.
The way Mileage Plus credits TAM-operated flights in P class is not quite relevant to the way the Mileage Plus credits UA-operated flights booked under the TAM-flight number. Newbies like yourself often miss the nuance of program rules.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Colin
Did call. UA agent said P. I tried to explain I wanted the underlying United booking class, but the agent just told me "P" (the TAM booking class). I then asked her why I was seated in row 7. No response.
Yeah that agent didn't know. P class on UA is first class... you should have asked to be moved up to row 1.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by Colin
Newbies like yourself often miss the nuance of program rules.
Granted, anyone can miss nuances in rules, we see plenty of questions and threads about things like that on FT. What are your parameters for "Newbie"? Curious since I am a 1K and have been flying IAD-GIG monthly for over a year on both UA and TAM tickets in E+ and C. Perhaps because I didn't have a specific answer to your "D" or "Z" questions? Just trying to help out, didn't know you were an "Oldie"
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I believe the only was is to make the booking and call UA. If this is refundable, no big deal, otherwise I think you're out of luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.