so which RCCs have 802.11?

Old Jan 13, 2001, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
so which RCCs have 802.11?

I am right now in the SFO (Int'l) RCC and there seems to be no 802.11 wireless access here.

DOes United publish a list of where this is available? I could not find it on united.com

Should we start collecting a list of RCCs with this feature?
Old Jan 13, 2001, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You're in the wrong country for proactive customer service. You have to go to Asia for that sort of thing.

SIN and HKG for instance.
Old Jan 13, 2001, 5:16 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
There's a problem.
http://www.softnet.com/company/press/release/00_12_19.0
http://biz.yahoo.com/n/s/sofn.html

We'll learn more Tuesday.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium
Wish UA would get on the ball with hooking up their clubs. Just checked out the MobileStar site and AA has 802.11b all over the place... including everywhere I fly like MIA, ORD, DEN, SNA, SFO. It's almost worth it to do their challenge and join the club to get access when I am traveling. Surprised UA is lagging on this one.
http://www.mobilestar.com/fhdslocations.html#dual

[This message has been edited by miket (edited 01-16-2001).]
Old Jan 16, 2001, 10:59 am

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
Just do this...Hang out near the AA room and use the internet
Old Jan 16, 2001, 11:39 am

Well I could but I'd prefer to do it in the RCC or 1K room... not sitting on the floor infront of the Admirals Club!!!
Old Jan 16, 2001, 5:09 pm

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
So how are airline club rooms implementing these wireless networks? Are they making club members pay for access or are they free to all club members? Does one get a daily password on entry to the particular room?

Given my experiences with RCC/1K room staffs (lack of computing/network knowledge), it would be a disaster to get existing members to adminster such a network.

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Jan 16, 2001, 5:46 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Timeline:

Jan. 24, 2000: Aerzone founded as SoftNet Zone.

Apr. 20, 2000: SoftNet Zone makes initial announcement about providing wireless Internet service to Delta's Crown Room Clubs and gates.

Apr. 21, 2000: SoftNet Zone acquires Laptop Lane for $22 million.

Sep. 20, 2000: SoftNet Zone renamed Aerzone.

Oct. 3, 2000: Aerzone will provide wireless Internet services to UA's Red Carpet Clubs, First Class lounges, 1K Centers, terminals, and gates. Aerzone's equity partners, lead by United and Delta, invest $60 million.

Dec. 5, 2000: Aerzone's parent, SoftNet Systems, announces CEO will step down, citing health concerns; retains board chairmanship.

Dec. 7, 2000: Aerzone selected by San Francisco Airports commission to provide wireless Internet service at SFO.

Dec. 19, 2000: SoftNet Systems announces plans to discontinue Aerzone's operations, and seek a buyer for the Laptop Lane business centers.

Dec. 28, 2000: SoftNet's board approves plan to reduce staff. Cost to dispose of impacted personnel: $4 million.

Jan. 16, 2000: SoftNet Systems reports fiscal 2000 year end results, releases annual report. Aerzone's operating loss: $12.2 million.

on December 19, 2000, the Company decided to discontinue the Aerzone business in light of significant long-term capital needs and the difficulty of securing the necessary financing because of the current state of the financial markets. The plan includes a reduction in personnel. The Company anticipates that it will sell Laptop Lane. The operating results of Aerzone has been segregated from continuing operations and is reported as loss from discontinued operations, net of tax on the consolidated statement of operations. The assets and liabilities of such operations are reflected in the discontinued operations reserve on the consolidated balance sheets as of September 30, 2000. The estimated loss on disposal of Aerzone is $42,200,000.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 12:18 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
stimpy, if you are talking about SIN and HKG...I think it's because the two airports provide this, and not because the RCCs have it ?? in HKG I am only aware of CX who provides wireless access in the lounge (The Wing)...and the HKIA provides access throughout the terminal building...
Old Jan 17, 2001, 12:38 am

The version AA is using is called MobileStar. A number of hotels also have "Access Points". So the subscription doesn't just work at an Admirals club but at any access point provided by MobileStar.

You subscribe to a plan with MobileStar and thats it.

Here is how pricing looks:

Pulsar Plan $2.50 plus applicable usage charges/use
Pay per use plan. $2.50 per use charge includes 15 minutes of use, $0.10 each additional minute.

Supernova Plan $59.95/month
Monthly subscription plan includes unlimited monthly minutes.

StarPlan 500 $34.95/month Monthly subscription plan includes 500 monthly minutes, $0.08 each additional minute.

StarPlan 200 $15.95/month Monthly subscription plan includes 200 monthly minutes, $0.10 each additional minute.

Seems pretty resonable to me.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Well, a per-minute basis charge is better than a per-byte charge, but I still think that anything other than flat-rate is bogus.

Even the cell phone companies have learned this.

JD
Old Jan 17, 2001, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
tedhl, yes I was referring to the airport authorities at SIN and HKG that offer FREE wireless access. They choose to offer this just as they offer free water at the drinking fountains and free use of the toilet (unlike some airports in France).

This makes them a better airport and more likely to have airlines prefer hubbing there. Also note that they run their own service and do not use Aerzone. I don't know how Aerzone burnt through all those millions. It really doesn't cost that much to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.