What does 1K mean?

Old Oct 22, 1999, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

What does 1K mean?

I've always wondered this. Why does UAL call their highest tier Premier Executive 1K? I thought that this was because it takes 100,000 miles to achieve, but then that would be 100K. Where do they get 1K?

Anyone have any theories?

Flyer
Old Oct 22, 1999, 5:59 pm
pgupta011

It is also called PE 100K (that is what used to be printed on my boarding passes when I was 1K).

What it actually means is that you know the airport personnel better than your neighbors.

Old Oct 22, 1999, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
1K comes from the codes that UA uses to identify different tiers of travelers on their computer systems, which only use 2 letters as identifiers.

1K = 100,000 Mile Flyer
1P = Premier Executive
2P = Premier

There's also a Premier Emeritus level, but I forget the code.

Does Merry read this board? Does anyone know what the UA equivalent of BA Premier/SR Circle, etc. is? What the perks are? Even 1k's can have dreams.

Maybe you can buy it with a black Amex.

(Ducking from the thrown fruit)
Greg99

[This message has been edited by greg99 (edited 10-22-1999).]
Old Oct 22, 1999, 7:47 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

VP.

VP=Vip.

Services are same as all other airline VIP's. Private lounge, personal Concierge to pre-board, concierge when exiting, 120 HRS upgrades, (they probably don't collect certs), etc.
Old Oct 23, 1999, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1K means you fly too much.
Old Oct 23, 1999, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA MP, AA Advantage, IHG, HH
1K also means you have learned too much about the airline business and that there is a chance UA employees might actually realize that you are a valued customer. (Of course most folks on this board know that is not always true ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.