FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Welch's Cranapple's Got to Go! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/863145-hey-hey-ho-ho-welchs-cranapples-got-go.html)

fadeforward Sep 5, 2008 3:01 pm

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Welch's Cranapple's Got to Go!

The frustration has been building, and finally, on this Friday afternoon, I feel it is time to vent about the one "enhancement" that has affected me the most on a per-flight basis: The shocking switch from the excellent Minute Maid Cranapple Juice to the tacky, oversweet, hideous, aftertaste-inspiring Welch's sorry-excuse-for-swill.

I am not a connoisseur by any means. I may not be able to tell a $100 wine from a $10 wine, and I have even been known to down one of those old canned pastas from the explus snack box when near starvation. But few enhancements have hit me as hard as this one. I don't know what Welch's has got in it that makes me want to scrape my tongue for five minutes after drinking it, but it's GOT TO GO!

I think United737522 is part of this club of disappointed cranapple juice drinkers. Who else? Rise up, ye dissatisfied, aftertaste-suffering masses!

MBS MillionMiler Sep 5, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm disappointed by the whole CRANAPPLE experience. They've already got apple juice...WHY CAN'T THEY JUST OFFER CRANBERRY JUICE? If you want cranapple that much, mix them!

I enjoy a vodka/cranberry in bars and in the skies, but on UA, it's a vodka/cranapple. I'm yet to be offered cranapple as a mixer in a bar...Why should the bar at 30,000 be any different?

MileageAddict Sep 5, 2008 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec (Post 10319025)
I'm disappointed by the whole CRANAPPLE experience. They've already got apple juice...WHY CAN'T THEY JUST OFFER CRANBERRY JUICE? If you want cranapple that much, mix them!

I enjoy a vodka/cranberry in bars and in the skies, but on UA, it's a vodka/cranapple. I'm yet to be offered cranapple as a mixer in a bar...Why should the bar at 30,000 be any different?

+1 I have had the EXACT same thought on this!

geckoflyer Sep 5, 2008 3:31 pm

On a side note, I love FAs that point out "it's cranapple, is that ok?" when I order my "Cranapple" and Vodka :)

Astriker Sep 5, 2008 3:35 pm

I forgot they switched product lines, and I ordered one, wow, it was sugary, flavorless, and nothing like they had before.

I am with you, I miss the old Cranapple too! :(

wharvey Sep 5, 2008 3:54 pm

I always hated the fact that cranberry/cranapple does not get stocked on international flights..... never understood that one.

mahasamatman Sep 5, 2008 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 10319308)
I always hated the fact that cranberry/cranapple does not get stocked on international flights

The only answer I've ever gotten is that only Americans drink it. Not a good answer, but an answer nonetheless.

bmvaughn Sep 5, 2008 4:05 pm

I believe the chant is Hey Ho! Hey Ho!... :D

I'm quite enjoying the lighthearted complaints (errr... discussion of shortcomings) today :)

abmj-jr Sep 5, 2008 4:10 pm

Since the switch, I have been thinking of it as "crapple." Probably says something about my character.

KathyWdrf Sep 5, 2008 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 10319376)
I believe the chant is Hey Ho! Hey Ho!... :D

The OP had it right.

"Hey Hey! Ho Ho!" is cool; "Hey Ho! Hey Ho!" is almost unbelievably dorky. :p

(Of course, you may have been mocking someone dorky.... ;))

Astriker Sep 5, 2008 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 10319395)
Since the switch, I have been thinking of it as "crapple." Probably says something about my character.

I will have to order that next time. :-)

If we change to Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, I will begin to think this is a crazy pirates forum enraged... :D

MBS MillionMiler Sep 5, 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 10319339)
The only answer I've ever gotten is that only Americans drink it. Not a good answer, but an answer nonetheless.

That reminds me, I was on a China Eastern flight (in F) from Shanghai to Guangzhou. They had many many juices being offered (on a printed beverage menu, nonetheless)...Orange, apple, grape, cranberry, tomato, and on and on--down to mulberry juice. I only knew of them from the kindergarten song...I said to myself, "I've never had a mulberry nor mulberrry juice, I want to try it". Sitting next to me was a Danish woman, whom I'd been talking to already and ordered one as well. I sat there thinking, must be big in Europe or something. After she ordered, she said "I've never had mulberry juice...I want to try it." Maybe that's why they offer it--so many people order it, because no one has had it! (It was sort of like a cross between dark grape juice and maybe raspberry juice, wasn't bad).

Leela Sep 5, 2008 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by chrislacey (Post 10319167)
On a side note, I love FAs that point out "it's cranapple, is that ok?" when I order my "Cranapple" and Vodka :)

Not always. :( I asked if they had cranberry juice the other day and they said no, and when I said "I thought I had some recently" they added that they have never had it ever. I scratched my head because I was sure I had had some this summer, but I had also just flown NW twice and then DL in quick succession, so maybe I was confused. They didn't even offer or suggest cranapple. Maybe they didn't have any on board (it was a domestic flight) or maybe the FA was just having a mood.

Edited to add:
I just had a thought...maybe those FAs don't realize that cranapple juice is made from a mixture of cranberries and apples? Maybe they thought cranapple was just another form of apple juice (which it is, in a way), without making the cranberry connection? I wouldn't put it past some people...you never know....

hobo13 Sep 5, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm in the non-alcoholic non-carbonated beverage crowd..... don't ask, there's no good reason!

So I'd really like it if United would start carrying either Ice Tea (Lipton, Nescafe) and / or Lemonade (from Minute Maid, not the Ted stuff!) But since they don't, I'm usually drinking the cranapple or the tomato juice. And I agree, the cranapple isn't all that good. One of my favorite things about flying AirTran (maybe the ONLY good thing) is they stock iced tea and lemonade. Good stuff.

VibeGuy Sep 5, 2008 5:12 pm

DL has Fresca. It's the *one* thing that I love about DL.