Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Welch's Cranapple's Got to Go!

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Welch's Cranapple's Got to Go!

Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Originally Posted by fadeforward
The frustration has been building, and finally, on this Friday afternoon, I feel it is time to vent about the one "enhancement" that has affected me the most on a per-flight basis: The shocking switch from the excellent Minute Maid Cranapple Juice to the tacky, oversweet, hideous, aftertaste-inspiring Welch's sorry-excuse-for-swill.

I am not a connoisseur by any means. I may not be able to tell a $100 wine from a $10 wine, and I have even been known to down one of those old canned pastas from the explus snack box when near starvation. But few enhancements have hit me as hard as this one. I don't know what Welch's has got in it that makes me want to scrape my tongue for five minutes after drinking it, but it's GOT TO GO!

I think United737522 is part of this club of disappointed cranapple juice drinkers. Who else? Rise up, ye dissatisfied, aftertaste-suffering masses!
Oh gross. It was still Minute Maid on the last flight I had. Guess it is back to ginger ale and water.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
DL has Fresca. It's the *one* thing that I love about DL.
Yeah, I was so pleasantly surprised when I flew DL for the first time in like 10 years last month...I asked for a "non-caffinated diet soda" and the FA said "I think we just got some Fresca, let me go look" and she came back with it! I love Fresca!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:52 pm

The day a Tab gets accidentally catered, though, is the day that I stop flying, for there will NEVER be a more perfect day in the air. It will overwhelm me with fond reminiscences circa 1978, and there will be no point in seeking a peak experience ever again. I will happily sit at home, reveling in my happy childhood moments on various carriers triggered by an icy-cold Tab* and a packet of Smokehouse Almonds*, and how one airline liberated me from ever having to chase elusive happiness in another geography through a simple quirk of catering.

e

* Before anyone asks, yes, they still make it, and I last had one come out of a vending machine in the US on 07/03/08. It could happen.

**(seriously, my parents had me *snowed* - they told me the only way in the world to get Smokehouse Almonds, which I totally craved, was to behave properly on airplanes - once, at a party, I remarked to the hostess how she must have been saving up packets from lots of flights to be able to put out such a big bowlful, and her mirthful response (after wondering who invited the slow kid to her party) pretty much blew any cred my parents still had with me. I had no idea until recently that parenting mostly consists of a series of bluffs you pray never get called.)
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:32 pm

I have had a few Cape Cods using the Cranapple. But a Cape Cod with Welch's - I'd rather use wildebeest urine as a mixer
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:30 pm

Do they have diet ginger ale on board, or is it just diet cola and diet lemon-lime? I've suddenly developed a fondness for rum and diet ginger ale.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Leela
Do they have diet ginger ale on board, or is it just diet cola and diet lemon-lime? I've suddenly developed a fondness for rum and diet ginger ale.
I think UA only has regular ginger ale. Diet ginger ale is rather rare.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm in the non-alcoholic non-carbonated beverage crowd..... don't ask, there's no good reason!

So I'd really like it if United would start carrying either Ice Tea (Lipton, Nescafe) and / or Lemonade (from Minute Maid, not the Ted stuff!).
I'm also part of the non-carbonated crowd. And I do remember a few years ago when UA served cans of Snapple lemon iced tea. Yes, Snapple. Unfortunately this was very short lived.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Noticed the Welches was served to me recently. Ewww. Not good. Hadn't really given it more thought until this thread. Minute Maid is a Coke company product (which UA carries); Welches is not. So, hopefully this is a temporary thing and we'll see the MM back soon.

To the person above who posted 'ginger ale and rum' . Seriously?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by UAfan
To the person above who posted 'ginger ale and rum' . Seriously?
Yes, with a splash of pineapple juice if possible (probably not possible on a flight). Think Thai flavors.

Although it's a lot better with something like Barcardi Reservada, as opposed to the usual "white" rum.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Thanks for the suggestion, Leela... you've just made me thirsty.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM
What I find interesting is that we never buy ginger ale, carnapple, or tomato juice for home use but we get on the plane and it's the first thing we order.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Why can't UA get Fresca and/or Coke Zero?

It always seems to be that the airlines are stuck in the 1950s with their beverage choices... they never seem to update with the times.

Also, did La Croix disappear? I don't see it on any of my flights anymore.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Juice is just empty calories and often "juice" is not really juice
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MP 1P
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Why can't UA get Fresca and/or Coke Zero?

It always seems to be that the airlines are stuck in the 1950s with their beverage choices... they never seem to update with the times.

Also, did La Croix disappear? I don't see it on any of my flights anymore.
They had Coke Zero on my SYD-SFO flight. Although they did "run out" of sprite during the first beverage service (I was 4th row in E+!). BTW that was the crappiest set of FAs I've ever run across, and for a 12+ hour flight, yuck!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by fadeforward
I think United737522 is part of this club of disappointed cranapple juice drinkers. Who else? Rise up, ye dissatisfied, aftertaste-suffering masses!
I'm trying to think the first time I had cranapple juice. If it had been Welch's, I never would have been a cranapple addict. I cannot imagine why they made this switch...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.