Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions Regarding UA's Type B DBCFREE Voucher [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I use TBM for all itineraries with paper vouchers.

I take a digital picture and/or photocopy of each one before sending it in.

So far, so good! ^
yes, you can exchange the dbcfree for travel credits as i have done it. a simple letter of explanation to customer relations will take care of if (allow about 3-4 weeks) but as noted by g, keep a copy.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by goalie
yes, you can exchange the dbcfree for travel credits as i have done it. a simple letter of explanation to customer relations will take care of if (allow about 3-4 weeks) but as noted by g, keep a copy.
What value of credits have you gotten for it?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Originally Posted by goalie
What value of credits have you gotten for it?
i ended up with 4x$100 travel certs (customer relations/type-a) for the exchange of a dbcfree on a 1 hour bump . i was dumbfounded as i thought it would be no more than $200 (and was actually expected only $100). n.b. this was last year when i was a 1k and i also mentioned in the letter that i had a mp balance of (at that time) over 650k so a free tix didn't really help me with my future united travel needs but as always, ymmv
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
redeeming DBC free vouchers at the airport

I just spoke to the ICC to redeem two DBC Free vouchers my partner and I got when we got bumped on our way to turing's wedding last summer.

The call went very well. There was no hold time and the woman at the ICC was very fast and knowledgeable and I had my desired flights in no time. I was impressed.

However, at the end of the call, she said since one voucher is in my name, and the other is in my partner's name, we both have to make our way to a United ticket counter before tomorrow at midnight to redeem and ticket the held reservation.

Is this really the case? It doesn't sound right to me.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think the person named on the DBC must redeem it. So I believe the agent is correct.

The airport agent may not care, especially if the tickets are in the same name as the DBC though.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Last time I redeemed a DBCfree it was by mail and just needed to be postmarked within 24 hours of booking. Also needed to include a copy of photo ID.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
This is one reason I'm glad I live 10 minutes from the airport! I can drop in any time to do any transactions I need to in person.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I'm actually ~7 or 8 minutes from the airport. It's more the logistics of getting us both there that would be annoying.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:33 am

I have used vouchers for both me and my boyfriend without the boyfriend there.

I always put myself first on the PNR, so I present my voucher first and they ask for ID. They when they get to the second ticket, I just hand the 2nd voucher over and they don't ask for ID.

Note this was for VDB travel credits, not the free ticket, but they are more or less the same thing for this example.

BillJ
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I just did this a few weeks ago. I reserved a ticket for my wife on the phone using a DBCFree coupon and went to the airport the next day (I was flying anyway) to hand in the coupon. The only slow part of the process was waiting in line at the airport reservations counter. The two parties in front of me seemed to have awfully complex problems. Once I got the the counter, my transaction took about 1 minute. It was simple and straightforward. I gave them the record locator number, handed over the coupon, and showed my ID to redeem it. ID for my wife was not necessary. (Since when do you need to provide traveler ID at booking time? You can book a ticket in anyone's name.)
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I recently redeemed 3 DBCFREE vouchers at the airport. One ticket was for my GF and the other 2 for her son and my daughter so there were different last names involved. 2 of the vouchers were in my name and one was in my GF's name. I had no problem doing the redemption solo.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I recently redeemed 3 DBCFREE vouchers at the airport. One ticket was for my GF and the other 2 for her son and my daughter so there were different last names involved. 2 of the vouchers were in my name and one was in my GF's name. I had no problem doing the redemption solo.
You were fine because:

1. Your GF voucher for your GF
2. Your voucher for anyone since you were present at redemption
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:43 am

Update.

To be better safe than sorry, both my partner and I went to EWR last night to redeem our DBC Free vouchers.

I just gave the guy at the ticket counter the two vouchers and our confirmation code. A moment later he handed me back two printed itineraries.

He never asked who we were or checked either of our IDs.

Oh well.

On the other hand we're getting a free trip to PDX next year thanks to this bump on the way to turing's wedding. A bump that not only gave us these vouchers but also an upgrade to C on p.s ... I can't complain.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:14 am

DBCFREE rules

Can I have a stopover? Can I have an open jaw?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I know for certain that you can have an open jaw (my mother is doing exactly that on a DBCFREE in a few weeks) but I don't know about the stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.