Dress code in F for UA Employees?

Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - Premier Exec
Thanks

Wow - thanks for the helpful, quick responses. Great site!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
OMG can you imagine if UA started booting full rev F class pax out of F due to the way they are dressed.....I've seen some horrors in F that should have been kicked back to Y but they had bought the tkts so they had to stay.

This was definatly a non rev.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum
Originally Posted by cruisr
OMG can you imagine if UA started booting full rev F class pax out of F due to the way they are dressed.....
Yeah, there would be a better chance of my upgrades clearing!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, DCA_ORD_612!^

As stated above, without a doubt a non-rev.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:00 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Although I agree the OP should have received the E+ seat he was entitled to. OP, did the gate agent agree to give you E+?

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 7, 2008 at 5:01 pm Reason: removed now-deleted quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - Premier Exec
Yes, I did get the E+. She informed me that she was engaging in an extraordinary move by giving it to me gratis.

What was particularly odd was when I boarded, I asked the closest FA if I could simply sit in an unoccupied (which were more than the majority) E+ seat. She told me no soup. Even she commented that they were only for customers who had made an additional purchase and seemed to black-out when I told her I was Prem Exec. Ergo, I was forced back into the terminal to deal with the gate agent.

I've been flying UA for 3 years, primarily on their ORD-DCA pair, which I fly weekly. I find their service on this route absolutely satisfactory (esp given the 15-a-day frequency). This was the first time I've ever had a problem of this magnitude with anyone at UA. As it stands, 75% of my flights I actually speak to no employees at all. This was an interesting situation.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
On most airlines, the GA is king or queen when it comes to enforcing the dress code rules, and, during my non-rev days I found that the code was enforced most strictly on routes that tended to carry a high preponderance of business travelers.

My worst experience was in early 1991, during the last death throes of Eastern Airlines - the GAs took special delight in doing everything by the book. On one trip for company business, I approached the gate when F boarding was announced. Because the A/C in that part of MIA was not working very well, I had my suit jacket draped over my arm. The GA forced me to don my coat before letting me board the plane...
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
On most airlines, the GA is king or queen when it comes to enforcing the dress code rules, and, during my non-rev days I found that the code was enforced most strictly on routes that tended to carry a high preponderance of business travelers.

My worst experience was in early 1991, during the last death throes of Eastern Airlines - the GAs took special delight in doing everything by the book. On one trip for company business, I approached the gate when F boarding was announced. Because the A/C in that part of MIA was not working very well, I had my suit jacket draped over my arm. The GA forced me to don my coat before letting me board the plane...

i find all of this amusing, because i always wear (nice) jeans in first or business, and no one has once said anything to me.

of course, i don't wear jeans to nice restaurants, but i think jeans and a t-shirt matches united service and food quite adequately.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by jtsaltman82
and no one has once said anything to me.
Do you fly as a non-rev?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
I'm a casual guy. I own my own company (a wholesale distributor) and I wear shorts most days--even in January in Colorado. Because that's what I'm used to wearing, I'm uncomfortable in dressier clothes. I can wear them, but I imagine that I feel as uncomfortable wearing slacks, a shirt and a tie, as some business travelers would feel wearing shorts. I apologize in advance if my wearing shorts and sandals offends anyone in F--but as has been said, I paid for the ticket. I'm polite, well groomed and I have good manners--my "uniform" is just different from others.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
The perfect First Class Shirt

http://www.theunitedshop.com/catalog...65&PunchOutID=
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by DCA_ORD_612
I was not in first class that evening - I was actually just trying to get one of the 30 open Econ Plus seats (which she told me I had to pay for even though I'm Premier Exec). But I could not believe what I was seeing. Has anyone else run into this? A dress code policy for first class?
This is a growing problem as reported on FT in recent weeks.

You should have immediately called the Premier Exec line to complain and had them send a supervisor.

And you need to file a complaint. UA needs to identify under performers for the layoff, and you will be helping.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'd be surprised and disappointed if any GA or other such person commented adversely on my demin when flying in first or business class (or any other class for that matter).

Hasn't happened so far in several decades of flying, but the quality of employees in the US seems to be decreasing rapidly.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:07 am

Programs: UA GS
??????

Originally Posted by DCA_ORD_612

I was actually just trying to get one of the 30 open Econ Plus seats (which she told me I had to pay for even though I'm Premier Exec).

I've been flying UA for 3 years, primarily on their ORD-DCA pair, which I fly weekly. I find their service on this route absolutely satisfactory (esp given the 15-a-day frequency). This was the first time I've ever had a problem of this magnitude with anyone at UA. As it stands, 75% of my flights I actually speak to no employees at all. This was an interesting situation.
OP....why did you get a seat in E and not E+ when you originally booked? From all the flying that you do, it seems strange that you didn't take care of your seat selection up front. That would have automatically opened up E+ seating, and even exit row seating given that you are 1P?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:33 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete
Non-Reve employee perhaps?

From the Employee dress code:

"Unacceptable attire in First and Business class:

Jeans and other denim clothing "

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51003,00.html
Great piece of information. I do actually recall that UA staff is normally "well" dressed when flying - collared shirts, no T's; real shoes, no sandals....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.