Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 7, 08, 8:38 am   #76
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Yes, non-revs have a dress code. Nobody else does, except that you have to be dressed...

And on most non-US carriers...you could wear pajamas in F if you want. In fact, they'll even provide them!
Old Jun 7, 08, 8:42 am   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scone Man View Post
I'm a casual guy. I own my own company (a wholesale distributor) and I wear shorts most days--even in January in Colorado. Because that's what I'm used to wearing, I'm uncomfortable in dressier clothes. I can wear them, but I imagine that I feel as uncomfortable wearing slacks, a shirt and a tie, as some business travelers would feel wearing shorts. I apologize in advance if my wearing shorts and sandals offends anyone in F--but as has been said, I paid for the ticket. I'm polite, well groomed and I have good manners--my "uniform" is just different from others.
If it's a long flight, I wear my pajamas in F. And of course, it's allowed on UA.
On other carriers, like BA, SQ, NH, etc.--wearing pajamas in F is not just allowed, it's encouraged...they'll even provide the pajamas for free! LOL.

So, I agree that if someone was booted for jeans, it was probably a non-rev. Though, I wouldn't be totally shocked if a particular GA decided to go on an inappropriate, unauthorized power trip and enforced a dress code against upgraders, just because the GA knows that she can escape disciplinary action.
Old Jun 7, 08, 8:58 am   #78

I did not know there was a dress code. As a 1K who fly’s a great deal in Y I am routinely upgraded to first. I am generally wearing shorts and a polo shirt. I like to be comfortable and am surprised anyone would even be denied an upgrade for clothing issues.
Old Jun 7, 08, 12:07 pm   #79
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberg View Post
I did not know there was a dress code. As a 1K who fly’s a great deal in Y I am routinely upgraded to first. I am generally wearing shorts and a polo shirt. I like to be comfortable and am surprised anyone would even be denied an upgrade for clothing issues.
Again, the dress code is only for non-revs, and NOT for revenue passengers.
Old Jun 7, 08, 12:21 pm   #80

Programs: Won Kay
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCA_ORD_612 View Post
The other evening, I was traveling from IAD to ORD. The gate agent operating C27 at IAD was a disaster - the likes of which I've really never seen.

I was behind a man trying to board with his First Class ticket - he was refused his seat in first class. Why? She cited United's dress-code policy. As he was wearing jeans, he was not allowed to board first class.
Wow.

Okay, I've had enough of this. There is no dress code for First.
I just flew First from SFO-IAD in jeans and a t-shirt. Ironically, I was given outstanding customer service from the RCC-GA-FA throughout.

The pax in question should have demanded to see it in writing and the SCREAMED for a supervisor.

Short of that, putting their hands around this GAs throat would have been an appropriate response.

I have had it with this sort of crap with UA employees. Had it.
Old Jun 7, 08, 12:26 pm   #81
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkit View Post
Wow.

Okay, I've had enough of this. There is no dress code for First.
I just flew First from SFO-IAD in jeans and a t-shirt. Ironically, I was given outstanding customer service from the RCC-GA-FA throughout.

The pax in question should have demanded to see it in writing and the SCREAMED for a supervisor.

Short of that, putting their hands around this GAs throat would have been an appropriate response.

I have had it with this sort of crap with UA employees. Had it.
I'm curious to know if you've read any of the posts in this thread that indicate this was likely a case of a NRSA UA employee who did not meet UA's established and documented INTERNAL policy.
Old Jun 7, 08, 12:37 pm   #82
Senior Moderator & Moderator, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA MM 1K; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Lots of misunderstanding on this thread

Isn't the "misunderstand and reply" thread in Omni?

I can say with 99 percent certainty this was an employee or family member of an employee who was traveling NRSA ...that stands for Non-Revenue Space Available.

There is no dress code for paying passengers, but employees and their family flying on passes are expected to dress appropriately. Kudos to the agent for applying the rules on this. The NRSA dress code is:

Employee dress code policy
United Airlines employee travel dress code policy

This is the dress code for all pass/reduced fare/ business travel on United, Ted and United Express. Flight attendants on CJA may be in uniform or First class employee pass travel attire.

Standard:
Employee and other entitled travelers while traveling on passes/ business or reduced fare are expected to dress in accordance with standards of good taste including being neat, clean and well groomed. If attire meets this criteria and is not included in the following list of unacceptable attire it is considered acceptable.

Highlights:

* Jackets and ties are not required in any class of service
* Jeans and other denim clothing are acceptable in the Economy cabin provided they are clean and neat and do not have patches or holes
* Athletic and tennis shoes are acceptable in the Economy cabin provided they are clean
* Loose fitting knee-length Bermuda shorts are acceptable in the Economy cabin on flights within the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico
* Dress sandals are permitted in all classes

Unacceptable attire in First and Business class:

* Jeans and other denim clothing
* Athletic and tennis shoes
* Hiking or military style shoes and boots
* Shorts
* Baseball caps
* Skin-tight or form fitting pants except when worn with a mid thigh length top
* Any item in the Unacceptable attire in all classes list

Unacceptable attire in all classes:

* Any clothing that is worn, torn, frayed has patches or holes
* Sweat clothing or workout attire such as sweat shirt, sweat pants, leotards, tights and jogging suits
* T-shirts
* Bare feet
* Bathing suits
* Beach sandals flip flops and thongs
* Bare midriffs
* Extreme mini-skirts
* Halter and bra tops
* Sheer or see-through clothing
* Tank tops, sleeveless or muscle shirts
* Undergarments worn as outer garments

Children:
The dress code policy applies to all employees and other entitled travelers including children 12 years of age and over. Children under the age of 12 must be clean and neatly attired.

As an aside, the dress code for FAA employees who fly in the cockpit is stricter. But again, none of this applies to folks flying on paid/award tickets.

Last edited by l'etoile; Jun 7, 08 at 12:42 pm..
Old Jun 7, 08, 12:46 pm   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I'm curious to know if you've read any of the posts in this thread that indicate this was likely a case of a NRSA UA employee who did not meet UA's established and documented INTERNAL policy.
Maybe one of the two mods who have replied to this thread could help us out by changing the thread title to:

Dress Code for UA Employees in Domestic First Class?
Old Jun 7, 08, 12:53 pm   #84

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Snarky comments aside - what about discretion and outward appearances?

While it's wonderful that they are enforcing a dress code for their employees for the sake of an outward appearance, at what point is that appearance utterly destroyed and made unpleasant and off-putting?

When you're chastising a human being - one which other pax cannot easily infer is a UA employee - openly infront of them.

If you're going to keep up appearances then you need to learn the art of discretion and that being confrontational and critical of your employees infront of your guests is a bigger no-no then denim in the F cabin.

Keep the downward spiral UA, you'll get to the bottom eventually before it falls out.
Old Jun 7, 08, 1:24 pm   #85
Senior Moderator & Moderator, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA MM 1K; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer View Post
Maybe one of the two mods who have replied to this thread could help us out by changing the thread title to:

Dress Code for UA Employees in Domestic First Class?
good idea. done
Old Jun 7, 08, 1:41 pm   #86
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNRG View Post
Snarky comments aside - what about discretion and outward appearances?

While it's wonderful that they are enforcing a dress code for their employees for the sake of an outward appearance, at what point is that appearance utterly destroyed and made unpleasant and off-putting?

When you're chastising a human being - one which other pax cannot easily infer is a UA employee - openly infront of them.

If you're going to keep up appearances then you need to learn the art of discretion and that being confrontational and critical of your employees infront of your guests is a bigger no-no then denim in the F cabin.

Keep the downward spiral UA, you'll get to the bottom eventually before it falls out.
Fair enough points; however, since the NRSA Dress Code is seems to be pretty well documented within UA and I believe other airlines have similar policies, I do think an employee who violates a policy is more at fault than the employee who is then obligated to enforce it.
Old Jun 7, 08, 2:24 pm   #87

Programs: SWA CP, Marriott LifeTime Plat
I was refused once at the gate for F for wearing jeans - I had simply forgot, flying on a BP1.

Once on PanAm, the ticket agent told me to put on a tie before he would give me a boarding pass, flying on a P3.

Used to be you could always identify the airline employees - they were dressed very well including the kids, they got on at the last minute, and carrying all their luggage.

When the UAL pilots had brown uniforms in the 80's, they would stand out at the gate in civvies cause they would have a brown sport coat, brown shoes, etc. The PAA pilots usually had blue blazers, etc.

Even SWA used to have a dress code (and maybe still do) for pilots riding in the cockpit jumpseat not in uniform. I think it was no tennis shoes and no denim.

When I first started flying, the rule of thumb flying international was to dress nice with blazer and tie, cause when they were surveying the line to upgrade Y's to F (pre ff programs) the agent would pick out the pax that were nicely dressed.
Old Jun 20, 08, 1:53 am   #88

Programs: AA EXP, UA G/1MM, TK Elite, FB Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I will fly on non-rev tickets to Aisa soon.
I read the dress code policy my UA friend emailed me.
I understand I can't wear jeans or denim, but still I'm not sure if I can wear a Polo shirt in C.
I will fly by myself, so it won't be F.
Has anybody fly in non-rev C with a Polo shirt before???
Summer in Asia is too hot and humid, and I need suggestions what to wear just to get the non-rev C BP...
Old Jun 20, 08, 6:46 am   #89

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
I understand I can't wear jeans or denim, but still I'm not sure if I can wear a Polo shirt in C.
Summer in Asia is too hot and humid, and I need suggestions what to wear just to get the non-rev C BP...
First... I have NO expierence flying as a non-rev. But I read the above rules seem to allow for a polo style shirt (as long as it is clean, no holes, etc.). However, just to be cautious, I would not wear a polo style shirt with any type of "corporate logo" (other then the original factory sewing).
Old Jun 20, 08, 8:28 am   #90

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
This is what I do as I travel NRSA international alot... I show up at the gate in a suite and tie. Check in with the agent and make sure that I am booked in my desired class. Ask if they would mind if I changed into more comfortable clothes such as a polo and khakis and most will tell you its okay. The only one that I had a problem with was going to HKG and I just changed on the plane inflight...