CR-1 or e500s EWR-ORD-DEN-LAX-LIH

Old May 1, 2008, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
CR-1 or e500s EWR-ORD-DEN-LAX-LIH

If everything cleared in advance, there is no doubt that a CR-1 would be perfect for my flights from EWR-LIH on Saturday.

That isn't the case, however.

EWR-ORD-DEN has cleared.
DEN-LAX-LIH (a thru-flight) has not cleared and is Y1F1.

Even though I can probably get the upgrade from DEN-LAX on Saturday (F9, NF3 right now, but unconfirmable becuase it is part of DEN-LIH), I am thinking of cancelling the CR-1.

As a 1P on T-class fare, my chances are just about zero for getting the upgrade to LIH. It seems to me then, that becuase less than half of my trip is confirmed right now and the the EWR-ORD-DEN flights are wide open (F9, NF9, T9) I should save the CR-1 for a future flight and just use e500s.

What say you?
Old May 1, 2008, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I'd see if they'd separate the den-lax-lih into separate segments on the pnr to allow the first to clear and leave the cr 1 in place. By switching you would totally lose any chance of an upgrade, leaving it in place you'd have a shot. You never know what could happen with irreg ops, etc.
Old May 1, 2008, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR-ORD-DEN-LAX isn't a bad use of a CR1 as it is, so I would consider just leaving it on. As for LAX-LIH, I've seen crazier flights clear, so I wouldn't say you don't have a chance. Is the T fare basis still available, or do you plan on downgrading at the airport?
Old May 1, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
EWR-ORD-DEN-LAX isn't a bad use of a CR1 as it is, so I would consider just leaving it on. As for LAX-LIH, I've seen crazier flights clear, so I wouldn't say you don't have a chance. Is the T fare basis still available, or do you plan on downgrading at the airport?
T-fare is still available from EWR-ORD-DEN.

I am going to call reservations and see if they can ungroup DEN-LIH. If so, then I will leave the CR-1 in place.
Old May 1, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I'd call a three-segment transcon an excellent use of a CR1! Not as excellent as four segments East Coast to Hawaii, I must admit

But CR1s are more valuable for those of you living on the coasts and in Hawaii anyway - here in Denver I'm not unhappy burning a CR1 to IAD or LGA or similar. Where else am I going to use one if I'm not going to Hawaii or Mexico.
Old May 1, 2008, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I called UA and spoke to a very nice women in Chicago who has been with UA 29 years. She did offer to split the DEN-LIH flight, but said that I would go to the bottom of the waitlist if she did so becuase it would technically be like issuing me a new ticket today.

I realize waitlists are based on status first, then fare paid, then time on the list, but since the DEN-LAX flight now is NF0, I thought I might as well leave the itinerary the way it is.
Old May 1, 2008, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you going to try for the EWR-LAX flight to avoid the stops at ORD and DEN?
Old May 1, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Are you going to try for the EWR-LAX flight to avoid the stops at ORD and DEN?
Probably not. I want to go through DEN because there is a n/s flight to LIH departing just before my flight to LAX. If there are any F seats available on that flight, I will attempt to get on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.