Community
Wiki Posts
Search

vouchers and partner flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:25 am
Original Poster

vouchers and partner flights

I have a UA voucher (type B I believe) that only allows travel on UA metal. However, I need to get to MNL. Would it be possible to book a fully refundable ticket with the entire value of my voucher (between any two random UA cities), and then apply the value of the that ticket to my MNL itinerary (which includes either a TG or OZ leg that is not UA metal or even codeshare)?

Thanks in advance......
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: United 1k
Aren't type B vouchers used to bring down the total ticketed fare, and thus useless for transfer in the method the OP mentioned?

Ie, if you buy a full fare refundable domestic ticket that costs $1000, and you have a voucher for $200, the ticket will be issued at $800. so although the ticket is still refundable, you would only have that $800 to apply to another ticket(or to refund, leading to an instant loss of $200)

I am not 100 sure about this, as type A and type B vouchers are treated differently (as are type AB). anyone able to confirm?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:55 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
no, I believe type B vouchers are *a form of payment* and your ticket shows the full amount, not a discounted amount as if you paid with a type A discount certificate.

I do not have any experience with trying to "trade" it in this way, to get around the UA-only restrictions on the voucher, though.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by martian
Ok maybe one more time again. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.
Yes, what you describe is possible.

The ticket would need to be issued by UA (016 ticket stock), meaning it would probably have at least one segment on UA, but as long as the ticket is issued by UA and we are indeed talking about your using a type B voucher, you can do what you describe, even if the ticket includes non-codeshare segment on other carriers.

To avoid any problems, at least wait a couple days before applying your old ticket as "payment" to your new reservation, or they might try to "refund" your ticket instead under the 24-hour cancellation policy.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Yes, what you describe is possible.

The ticket would need to be issued by UA (016 ticket stock), meaning it would probably have at least one segment on UA, but as long as the ticket is issued by UA and we are indeed talking about your using a type B voucher, you can do what you describe, even if the ticket includes non-codeshare segment on other carriers.

To avoid any problems, at least wait a couple days before applying your old ticket as "payment" to your new reservation, or they might try to "refund" your ticket instead under the 24-hour cancellation policy.
Thanks for the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.