Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I was flying HKG to ORD on a 744 a few Saturdays ago. The GA had a very organized boarding process and was sure that the line cleared before calling the next group. The first to board were all GS. At least 8-10 people boarded as GS. Then, she called for all F passengers. Another 5 or 6 boarded. Again, she was sure that no one was in line before she called the next group. The third group was 1K. Being that there were dozens of "gate lice" hovering at the red carpet, I was sure that there would be an swarm to board, however, I believe I was the only 1K that boarded and because I wasn't close to the red carpet, I almost didn't make it before she called the 4th group, C passengers. I was surprised that there weren't more 1Ks, however, maybe all of the UGs to F cleared (and mine didn't). Anyway, very organized boarding process at HKG.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by famtrav
I was flying HKG to ORD on a 744 a few Saturdays ago. The GA had a very organized boarding process and was sure that the line cleared before calling the next group. The first to board were all GS. At least 8-10 people boarded as GS. Then, she called for all F passengers. Another 5 or 6 boarded. Again, she was sure that no one was in line before she called the next group. The third group was 1K. Being that there were dozens of "gate lice" hovering at the red carpet, I was sure that there would be an swarm to board, however, I believe I was the only 1K that boarded and because I wasn't close to the red carpet, I almost didn't make it before she called the 4th group, C passengers. I was surprised that there weren't more 1Ks, however, maybe all of the UGs to F cleared (and mine didn't). Anyway, very organized boarding process at HKG.
Well hopefully you were in C if not F....long flight in the village
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Okay, I understand that most define Gate Lice to be individuals with Group 4 boarding passes crowding the area,
Correct. That is what I would term gate lice.

Now, to the concept of a 1K or GS or F pax standing at the front of the red carpet area way before boarding. I noticed this on a recent flight and at first I had about the same reaction as you (especially since it was a domestic 777 so bin space wasnt an issue) but then after I thought about it I thought.....why not. The front of the red carpet is as good a place as any to wait and if you are going to be sitting on your butt for a few hours on the plane why not stand for a while.

I crowded the red carpet last sunday because I was on a E170 and I saw the carry on of the other F pax.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Lining up over an hour before the flight does seem excessive. I tend to get in line when I see it getting more than a handful of folks in it, but mainly because I always have a window seat and I like to minimize the inconvenience for whoever has the aisle.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I, too, have noticed the 1K gate lice crowd. I am equally baffled.

Okay, so I have to confess, when the red carpet first came out, very often I would still head over to the gate and line up on the red carpet, anxiously awaiting the boarding call.

For the past year, though, my routine is to put off heading to the gate until about 15-20 min before scheduled departure, and then waltz in over an empty red carpet. In a way, though, I can see why people would line up on the red carpet as early as possible:
  1. They are newly minted 2Ps and haven't figured things out
  2. paid or upgraded F, "living it up"
  3. the red carpet is hard to find once boarding has begun on an overbooked 777, and it's easier just to line up before the circus begins
  4. they just need to feel like the most important person on the plane
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I did this once (standing in line 5-10 mins prior to boarding), but that was an anomaly...I was going to board N647UA! Gotta snap some pictures before everyone boards!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Okay, I understand that most define Gate Lice to be individuals with Group 4 boarding passes crowding the area, but consider this...

3/25 UA703 SEA-LAX -- There are three people lined up on the red carpet before the GA even arrives, 1:05 prior to departure. 15 minutes before boarding, there are 25-30 people lined up awaiting red carpet boarding. I understand the overhead space issue, but this is a 757 boarding from the second door so anyone in F doesn't need to sweat it. Isn't part of the benefit of being a 1K not having to act like you're flying WN?
ROFL. Maybe it's just a Seattle thing?

I was on UA55 SEA-SFO on 3/24, in F. Get up to the gate and there's a nice big ol 'line behind the red carpet. No one else in the gate area was standing. And this was a good 15 minutes before boarding. I of course waited until the GA started boarding before getting up.

When I'm not in F, I won't lie, I am a gate louse...even though I usually have Group 1!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by spikerjack
Wow....I knew I had a wierd fetish for early squatting on the red carpet, but this new "gate lice" label has me thinking twice about it - or at least looking over my shoulder at the FTers laughing their ... off at me. Even I laugh at myself sometimes at the way I fight for position on the carpet before boarding starts. What a douche I must be.
No matter what you do, someone will find something to criticize or ridicule you for. So if you want to line up on the red carpet, by all means line up on the red carpet. As long as you're not breaking the rules or cutting in front of people who are entitled to board at the same time or before you, who cares?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST

Being a young F flyer I like watching people look at me like "uhh buddy you're line is over there" pointing to the other side of the red carpet. Then I like to casually flash my gold BP and watch them do the "ohhh nevermind" look with their facial expressions.
Since when does Gold BP= Red Carpet??
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by nerd
Funny. This gets mentioned on FlyerTalk all the time.

As a young F flyer, I never once experienced this. Maybe, at the time, I wasn't preoccupied trying to find people I could "casually flash" my gold BP to?
Some are young..but look the part. Others are young and rock faux-hawks.. thus the intersting looks.

Lovin the gate lice thread ^
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Since when does Gold BP= Red Carpet??
F boarding passes print on the gold stock. F = red carpet access
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by glex50
For the past year, though, my routine is to put off heading to the gate until about 15-20 min before scheduled departure, and then waltz in over an empty red carpet.
When I do not have any carry on or if it is a plane with plenty of space....there is no better feeling than "waltzing" up to an empty red carpet and being next in line to board. I can get about one more glass of wine in at the bar with the extra time.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
So do 1K, 1P and 2P and all E+ boarding passes at some stations - so gold <> red carpet
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: Mostly Mileage Plus (UGS) + AAdvantage (Gold)
All the following are on Gold stock:

3p/2p/1p/ all economy plus passengers-none can use the red carpet.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Topic: Gate lice

Off-topic: Young or young-looking passengers.
That had been discussed in many threads before and in other forums.

Next off-topic post closes this thread.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.