Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1/15/2008 UA 901 FRA-SFO diverted to OAK [Updated 2010 News Reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/15/2008 UA 901 FRA-SFO diverted to OAK [Updated 2010 News Reports]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Wow. My props to the pilot.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
Reported on CBS affiliate in San Francisco (h/t Airline Pilot Central). Allegedly there was some kind of anomaly in the database of the flight management system, leading the plane to be off the localizer on the ILS approach to 28R at SFO. The captain noticed "something wrong" at the last second and ordered a go-around. After a second approach and a second go-around, the crew declared an emergency and diverted to OAK. Apparently this was written up on FT by a passenger on the flight -- FT gets a little shout-out on the news report.

I don't know what to make about the claims against Honeywell (the manufacturer of the FMS), but great job by the crew.
PTSD over ONE emergency? That guy needed to quit being a pilot a long time ago. He's clearly not cut out to deal with the stress of an emergency and it is frightening he made it to the 747...
Old May 31, 2010, 10:52 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by United737522
PTSD over ONE emergency? That guy needed to quit being a pilot a long time ago. He's clearly not cut out to deal with the stress of an emergency and it is frightening he made it to the 747...
All it takes is one...remember what Macho Grande, just one incident did to Ted Striker? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjBdFPyxuak
Old May 31, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by United737522

I would reconsider this statement. The incident involved not just the pilot/co-pilot but the hundreds of souls they were responsible for. The "what if" scenario is chilling indeed, but the fact that it happened outside of the captain's control makes it all the more traumatic. IMO, only a calloused pilot would consider themselves unscathed from this event.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Man that was a close call...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:49 am
jmp

Originally Posted by sinoflyer

I would reconsider this statement. The incident involved not just the pilot/co-pilot but the hundreds of souls they were responsible for. The "what if" scenario is chilling indeed, but the fact that it happened outside of the captain's control makes it all the more traumatic. IMO, only a calloused pilot would consider themselves unscathed from this event.
+1

Trauma and PTSD are hard to predict. I know medical professionals in NYC who were highly traumatized by 9/11, not because they were on the sight, but because as soon as the news hit, every hospital in the city implemented emergency plans to be prepared to take in large numbers of trauma patients that never materialized. These doctors were standing there, watching TV, prepared to do everything they could to save the lives of patients that never got to the hospitals. The feeling of helplessness when they were mentally prepared to be taking responsibility for dozens of lives at a time cannot be underestimated. (It's a VERY different trauma than that experienced by those who were at Ground Zero, but those I know who were at the sight were extremely sympathetic to the trauma experienced by the doctors at the hospitals.)
-JMP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.