Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Mileage Credit on Tickets Booked on Priceline, Hotwire, etc." Thread [Merged]

"Mileage Credit on Tickets Booked on Priceline, Hotwire, etc." Thread [Merged]

Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
yes, it would accrue miles/eqm's...but like any other international s fare, it's not upgradeable, if that matters to you.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:04 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Ari=smart.
It isn't the 999999999 that does it. Changing the 9999999999 still doesn't do it. Refer to Ari.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
United and Priceline

My mother put a bid in for $200 on Priceline to fly to London from LAX, leaving in the middle of September and coming back at the end of September. She received an offer of $212+ and accepted. Who should it be but United Airlines, with a total cost of under $800, which I think beats any current offer by a wide margin. I didn't know UAL was doing Priceline, but perhaps I was just uninformed.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Boghopper
My mother put a bid in for $200 on Priceline to fly to London from LAX, leaving in the middle of September and coming back at the end of September. She received an offer of $212+ and accepted. Who should it be but United Airlines, with a total cost of under $800, which I think beats any current offer by a wide margin. I didn't know UAL was doing Priceline, but perhaps I was just uninformed.
Most majors are on Priceline. Remember, no FF miles on priceline bids.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I am unfamiliar with the priceline airline bidding system. Don't you find out which airline you are flying as soon as you accept the bid? Is $212 the base fare with fuel surcharges and other taxes added on, bringing the total to ~$800?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I am unfamiliar with the priceline airline bidding system. Don't you find out which airline you are flying as soon as you accept the bid? Is $212 the base fare with fuel surcharges and other taxes added on, bringing the total to ~$800?
You find out the airlines as soon as Priceline accepts YOUR bid. You can also use pricelines regular booking site without bidding.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:46 am

Personally I don't use Priceline for air travel because I want to have greater control over scheduling, stopovers, etc.,, but it's great for hotels and particularly rental cars.

Two sites any Priceliner should bookmark:
http://www.biddingfortravel.com/
http://www.betterbidding.com/

They help you beat the system since other people tell you what they've been bidding and getting, plus you get a list of potential hotels in each place and their * levels.

Anyway, slightly off topic post, but good info for someone who's new to PL.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
question about 3rd party booking sites

hello all, i fly united mostly internationally and was wondering, i hope that i put this in the correct place, but if one buys a ticket on priceline, or orbitz, skyauction, travelocity, etc...,etc... do you earn miles on it? or does it have to be bought from united directly or a travel agent, or for that matter, any other "american airline". as i know, at least with hilton, if one uses, for example, priceline, then you do not, or not supposed to receive hotel points, my question is : is it the same for airlines? thanks for your help.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
It depends on the fare bucket or the site. Normally, most tickets will earn miles, but there are exceptions.
For instance, tickets ordered through the "Name your own Price" system on PL will not earn miles, but tickets ordered through their regular booking engine will.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As long as the purchase is not from an "opaque" channel (like Priceline's name-your-own-price), you should earn miles. I don't know if Skyauction qualifies or not, but there's no problem with Travelocity, Orbitz, or Priceline's "real" booking engine.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 8:11 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
thank you.

thanks for your help and answers, yes, if it is a mileage-earning flight on ual. then it will earn points. thanks all.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Got miles for Priceline

A pretty long bump, I know, but I've discovered that I did indeed earn miles from United (including an internet booking bonus each way).

All i did was enter my number when doing the online check-in or selecting seats. They're not EQM miles, but they're real miles and really useable.

Who knew? I didn't even know i had the miles for a few months until i happened to check my united account (I have never flown them except for that priceline flight).
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Most majors are on Priceline. Remember, no FF miles on priceline bids.
Can anyone confirm NOT receiving miles on PL bidding bookings (domestic or international)?
I'd like to hear first hand reports, if possible.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Can anyone confirm NOT receiving miles on PL bidding bookings (domestic or international)?
I'd like to hear first hand reports, if possible.
Consider this a first hand report. Bid and booked on PL and after several attempt, NO MILES, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:04 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

September is still far away and fares are expected to continue dropping as overseas travel evaporates.

If it was me, I would have waited until some killer deal showed up on Flyertalk or at the very least, watched the airfares daily until the time was right to pull the trigger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.